Atmel AT91SAM7S-EK evaluation board

Started by Ali October 22, 2007
Hello All,

            I'll have few holidays in coming month so was thinking to
have something interesting to play around. I have done little work
with ARMx with GNU tool chain  but honestly i should say that there
are still things that make me feel unfomfortable. I remember reading
this [ http://www.embedded.com/design/opensource/200000632?_requestid=46173
] 7 part article while ago and it looks a good basic starting point to
me.

I would love to hear if anyone out there has read/followed this
tutorial? Or any other such tutorial would be appreciated.

One thing more, I have tried digikey and mouser and its easy to get
the development board. But there is no information what CPU they would
be shipping. any hints to make sure that I get  AT91SAM7S64 (64KB of
on-chip flash ROM and 16KB of static RAM)?

regards,
ali

In comp.arch.embedded,
Ali <abdulrazaq@gmail.com> wrote:
> > One thing more, I have tried digikey and mouser and its easy to get > the development board. But there is no information what CPU they would > be shipping. any hints to make sure that I get AT91SAM7S64 (64KB of > on-chip flash ROM and 16KB of static RAM)?
All the ones iI've got have the '256 on them. This is what the EK userguide says: "The board is generally equipped with an AT91SAM7S256 (64-pin PQFP package)" -- Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)
On Oct 22, 10:28 pm, Stef <stef...@yahooI-N-V-A-L-I-D.com.invalid>
wrote:
> In comp.arch.embedded, > > Ali <abdulra...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > One thing more, I have tried digikey and mouser and its easy to get > > the development board. But there is no information what CPU they would > > be shipping. any hints to make sure that I get AT91SAM7S64 (64KB of > > on-chip flash ROM and 16KB of static RAM)? > > All the ones iI've got have the '256 on them. This is what the EK userguide > says: > > "The board is generally equipped with an AT91SAM7S256 > (64-pin PQFP package)" > > -- > Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)
But any how to get AT91SAM7S64 on it?
And if you really want that SAM7S64 part, you can replace what's on the EVB. It has dual footprint for the MCU. --- ****************************************************************** * KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. * * Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. * ****************************************************************** -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
"Ali" <abdulrazaq@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Oct 22, 10:28 pm, Stef <stef...@yahooI-N-V-A-L-I-D.com.invalid> > wrote: >> In comp.arch.embedded, >> >> Ali <abdulra...@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> > One thing more, I have tried digikey and mouser and its easy to get >> > the development board. But there is no information what CPU they would >> > be shipping. any hints to make sure that I get AT91SAM7S64 (64KB of >> > on-chip flash ROM and 16KB of static RAM)? >> >> All the ones iI've got have the '256 on them. This is what the EK >> userguide >> says: >> >> "The board is generally equipped with an AT91SAM7S256 >> (64-pin PQFP package)"
I think the amount of FLASH and RAM are the only differences, as the 256 has more than the 64 then there should not be a problem. You can use either. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org 13 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
In comp.arch.embedded,
Sergey Kubushin <ksi@koi8.net> wrote:

> And if you really want that SAM7S64 part, you can replace what's on the EVB. > It has dual footprint for the MCU.
The LQFP48 is only required for the '32 all others are LQFP64. You need to remove the existing CPU anyway, as the LQFP48 is under the LQFP64. But if you really can only use the '64 (I really can't understand why though), buying that separately and replacing it is a good option. -- Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)
On Oct 23, 4:46 am, Stef <stef...@yahooI-N-V-A-L-I-D.com.invalid>
wrote:
> In comp.arch.embedded, > > Sergey Kubushin <k...@koi8.net> wrote: > > And if you really want that SAM7S64 part, you can replace what's on the EVB. > > It has dual footprint for the MCU. > > The LQFP48 is only required for the '32 all others are LQFP64. You need to > remove the existing CPU anyway, as the LQFP48 is under the LQFP64. > > But if you really can only use the '64 (I really can't understand why > though), buying that separately and replacing it is a good option. > > -- > Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)
Thanks for input.
I was just trying to stick to tutorial specifications. Anyway, I'll give it a try. http://www.embedded.com/design/opensource/200000632?_requestid=46173 thanks, ali
On Oct 22, 5:23 pm, Ali <abdulra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All, > > I'll have few holidays in coming month so was thinking to > have something interesting to play around. I have done little work > with ARMx with GNU tool chain but honestly i should say that there > are still things that make me feel unfomfortable. I remember reading > this [http://www.embedded.com/design/opensource/200000632?_requestid=46173 > ] 7 part article while ago and it looks a good basic starting point to > me. > > I would love to hear if anyone out there has read/followed this > tutorial? Or any other such tutorial would be appreciated. > > One thing more, I have tried digikey and mouser and its easy to get > the development board. But there is no information what CPU they would > be shipping. any hints to make sure that I get AT91SAM7S64 (64KB of > on-chip flash ROM and 16KB of static RAM)? > > regards, > ali
Folks thanks for input. And I hope x256 will be ok. But, any thoughts for tutorial ? I can't see even a single comment there (Embedded.com) although It was uploaded on 06/26/07. regards, ali
Ali wrote:
> Folks thanks for input. And I hope x256 will be ok. > But, any thoughts for tutorial ? I can't see even a single comment > there (Embedded.com) although It was uploaded on 06/26/07.
When is the next article supposed to come out? I don't want to rain on your parade, but it has been four months since the first article and I couldn't find any sign of the second one. I just got started in the ARM7 world myself. I bought an Olimex board from www.sparkfun.com (a way cool place), a JTAG module, and dove in. I was going to get a SAM7, but switched to the NXP at the last minute because the Atmel board was out of stock. After digging thru both manufacturers' documentation, I think I like the NXP a bit better anyway. There's a fairly good tutorial by a fellow named James Lynch. It's called "ARM Cross Development with Eclipse". It shows how to put together a working toolchain for cross compiling.
On Oct 23, 9:49 am, "Anthony Fremont" <nob...@noplace.net> wrote:
> Ali wrote: > > Folks thanks for input. And I hope x256 will be ok. > > But, any thoughts for tutorial ? I can't see even a single comment > > there (Embedded.com) although It was uploaded on 06/26/07. > > When is the next article supposed to come out? I don't want to rain on your > parade, but it has been four months since the first article and I couldn't > find any sign of the second one. > > I just got started in the ARM7 world myself. I bought an Olimex board fromwww.sparkfun.com(a way cool place), a JTAG module, and dove in. I was > going to get a SAM7, but switched to the NXP at the last minute because the > Atmel board was out of stock. After digging thru both manufacturers' > documentation, I think I like the NXP a bit better anyway. > > There's a fairly good tutorial by a fellow named James Lynch. It's called > "ARM Cross Development with Eclipse". It shows how to put together a > working toolchain for cross compiling.
Search embedded.com for 'Building Bare-Metal ARM Systems with GNU' you will see '10' part tutorial there. Yeah , NXP is fine but just wan tto stick to atmel;-) http://www.embedded.com/TechSearch/Search.jhtml;jsessionid=JOSL2HGUF4MQOQSNDLPCKH0CJUNN2JVN?sortSpec=score+desc&site_id=Embedded.com&Site+ID=Embedded.com&c1=All&queryText=Building+Bare-Metal+ARM+Systems+with+GNU&Search.x=7&Search.y=10 ali

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference