Micro controllers with UHF transceivers?

Started by Joerg October 24, 2007
larwe wrote:
> On Oct 24, 9:13 pm, Joerg <notthisjoerg...@removethispacbell.net> > wrote: > >>> How about CC1110F32 from TI. >> Thanks, Don! How could I have missed that? I was looking at lots of >> CC11xx datasheets today. Five bucks is a bit highish but would work in > > You should consider this part limited lifespan IMHO precisely because > of the 51 core. Remember Chipcon is now owned by TI. I would say if > your design horizon exceeds 3~4 years it would be better not to pick > this part. >
You think Chipcon might dry up after the aquisition? That wouldn't be good. TI had touted in a MSP seminar more than a year ago that there would be MSP430 with RF on board. But none so far. What's wrong with a 51 core? Tons of products still use it, including almost anything installed in our house.
> What part of the spectrum are you trying to cover; 433MHz? 860-ish? > Quite a few solutions aimed at markets like RKE. For example Atmel > covers certain frequencies from 315 to 915MHz ASK/FSK selectable. >
Has to be worldwide, longer range (several hundred feet out of a building), preferably without re-config. That rules out anything but the 433MHz band. Here, the FCC limits burst mode tricks to 20dB net power advantage AFAIK. I checked Atmel but among the available chip found only transmitters on there. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
The ATA chips don't contain a micro controller ;-) -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Look up the thread "Chipcon/8051 sanity check" from March this year. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org 13 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
> I guess the programmers will throw tomatoes when I suggest that. It's a 8051 > core (I love the 8051...)
Mmm... have you ever tried an AVR or an MSP430? Of course, if they're programming in C it's a relatively moot point -- the move to using higher-level languages has, IMHO, keep a lot of less-than-stellar CPU architectures viable. (Not points for lumping x86 into that list :-) ). ---Joel
"Joerg" <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message
> I checked Atmel but among the available chip found only transmitters on > there.
I don't suppose you came across any receive-only chips (rx + microcontroller) in your search, did you? Presumably there's nothing wrong with using one of those ChipCom ICs in receive-only mode, although the currents are a little higher (18.9mA) than I'd like and I'm thinking that perhaps an IC optimized as receive-only could be less. Thanks, ---Joel
FreeRTOS.org wrote:
> "Joerg" <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message > news:AT2Ui.1136$%13.464@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net... >> larwe wrote: >>> On Oct 24, 9:13 pm, Joerg <notthisjoerg...@removethispacbell.net> >>> wrote: >>> >>>>> How about CC1110F32 from TI. >>>> Thanks, Don! How could I have missed that? I was looking at lots of >>>> CC11xx datasheets today. Five bucks is a bit highish but would work in > > Look up the thread "Chipcon/8051 sanity check" from March this year. >
Hmm, did they really say "not for volume production"? That thread was half a year ago and they still offer the chips. Also, I wonder what alternatives there really are if 2.45GHz ain't cutting it because of lack of range. Maybe I should resort to rolling my own, just like I usually do in the analog world. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Joel Koltner wrote:
> "Joerg" <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message > news:AT2Ui.1136$%13.464@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net... >> I checked Atmel but among the available chip found only transmitters on >> there. > > I don't suppose you came across any receive-only chips (rx + microcontroller) > in your search, did you? >
Actually yes but I tossed them all because long term they aren't useful for me. There has to be feedback about machine status.
> Presumably there's nothing wrong with using one of those ChipCom ICs in > receive-only mode, although the currents are a little higher (18.9mA) than I'd > like and I'm thinking that perhaps an IC optimized as receive-only could be > less. >
The only disconcerting thing is that Digikey doesn't seem to carry them. Usually a red flag for me, so Lewin might have a point here. But what alternatives are there really? Maybe we should stay with the two-chip strategy for a while until the dust has settled. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Joel Koltner wrote:
> "Joerg" <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message > news:Q4STi.351$%Y6.219@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com... >> I guess the programmers will throw tomatoes when I suggest that. It's a 8051 >> core (I love the 8051...) > > Mmm... have you ever tried an AVR or an MSP430? >
Yes, the MSP430 but they are still too expensive.
For most of my clients this is the order of priority: 1. Cost 2. 2nd Source 3. 2nd Source 4. 2nd Source -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Oops. Only the transmitter is integrated with a MARC4 controller on the ATAR862-8. The receiver is stand alone. Sorry. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On Oct 25, 11:46 am, Joerg <notthisjoerg...@removethispacbell.net>
wrote:

> You think Chipcon might dry up after the aquisition? That wouldn't be
I think that the MSP430 with on-chip RF is going to replace the 51 parts.
> would be MSP430 with RF on board. But none so far. What's wrong with a > 51 core? Tons of products still use it, including almost anything
Sure, but the target markets for much of Chipcon's stuff would benefit from an MSP430 core.
> 433MHz band. Here, the FCC limits burst mode tricks to 20dB net power > advantage AFAIK.
Depends on the application. In my day job I work a little lower down in the band, ASK, low duty cycle.
> I checked Atmel but among the available chip found only transmitters on
Eh? Did you find your way to this page: <http://www.atmel.com/dyn/ products/devices.asp?family_id=651>

Memfault Beyond the Launch