how to program a flash with the wiggler? (for free)

Started by Erol September 7, 2004
erol.benoz@tnn.net (Erol) wrote in news:5e4da3b5.0409071025.5b3770c0
@posting.google.com:

> I bought a wiggler probe for ARM7 and was very disappointed when I > didn't receive a Flash Programmer Utility with it! Apparently they > sell the Flash Programmer SW for 500 extra bucks! > > I am not eager to pay any additional dollars to this company, > so I would like to know if the wiggler can be used with any other > Flash Programmer software. > > Thanks, > > Erol > > P.S. I heard that the OCD Commander SW can be used to download > Flash programming SW into target RAM, but I prefer an easier solution > if possible.
I realise this is an old post but I am about to develop a flash loader for the STR710 through the Wiggler. My approach is going to be use OCDLibRemote to set up the TCP server on localhost port 8888 and connect to it using a C++ builder application. I have not developed the download code yet but it only took a few minutes to set up a simple test program and connect to the wiggler in this manner. The GDB commands to interface with the wiggler are documented and I was able to read and write to ARM7 memory and registers. If anyone has a better solution to interface with the wiggler without getting into the low level JTAG chain I would be interested in any suggestions.
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 08:56:21 -0500, DirtyOldMan
<DirtyOldMan188@yahoo.com> wrote:

>erol.benoz@tnn.net (Erol) wrote in news:5e4da3b5.0409071025.5b3770c0 >@posting.google.com: > >> I bought a wiggler probe for ARM7 and was very disappointed when I >> didn't receive a Flash Programmer Utility with it! Apparently they >> sell the Flash Programmer SW for 500 extra bucks! >> >> I am not eager to pay any additional dollars to this company, >> so I would like to know if the wiggler can be used with any other >> Flash Programmer software. >> >> Thanks, >> >> Erol >> >> P.S. I heard that the OCD Commander SW can be used to download >> Flash programming SW into target RAM, but I prefer an easier solution >> if possible. > >I realise this is an old post but I am about to develop a flash loader >for the STR710 through the Wiggler. > >My approach is going to be use OCDLibRemote to set up the TCP server on >localhost port 8888 and connect to it using a C++ builder application. > >I have not developed the download code yet but it only took a few minutes >to set up a simple test program and connect to the wiggler in this >manner. > >The GDB commands to interface with the wiggler are documented and I was >able to read and write to ARM7 memory and registers. > >If anyone has a better solution to interface with the wiggler without >getting into the low level JTAG chain I would be interested in any >suggestions.
Look for the project JTAGER on sourceforge. There are other similar projects as well (ARMTOOL etc.) but JTAGER seems to be actively developed. Regards Anton Erasmus