Forums

J-Link USB

Started by Unknown December 8, 2007
Hello,
just to be sure, can anyone confirm, the J-link from Segger
http://www.segger.com/jlink.html, or IAR, can nit be used under Linux. Is
this correct? 

Best regards
   Heinz
In message <fje5tp$hnc$01$1@news.t-online.com>, Heinz-J&#2013266172;rgen Oertel 
<hj.oertel@surfeu.de> writes
>Hello, >just to be sure, can anyone confirm, the J-link from Segger >http://www.segger.com/jlink.html, or IAR, can nit be used under Linux. Is >this correct?
The J-link is hardware... there is no Linux Sw for the J-link at the moment. Though it does have a gdb server (which isn't open source) Regards Chris -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Chris Hills wrote:

> In message <fje5tp$hnc$01$1@news.t-online.com>, Heinz-J&#2013266172;rgen Oertel > <hj.oertel@surfeu.de> writes >>Hello, >>just to be sure, can anyone confirm, the J-link from Segger >>http://www.segger.com/jlink.html, or IAR, can nit be used under Linux. Is >>this correct? > > The J-link is hardware... there is no Linux Sw for the J-link at the > moment. Though it does have a gdb server (which isn't open source) > > > > Regards > Chris >
Chris, does this mean that debuggers like ddd or Insight can be used under Linux connected to the gdb server serving the J-Link hardware? I can not find anything gdb-server related on the Segger site. Where can I find more information about it? Even if it is not open source, depending on the price, I like to get it, because we have some of these hardware parts available. Regards Heinz
On Dec 9, 11:25 pm, Heinz-J=FCrgen Oertel <hj.oer...@surfeu.de> wrote:
> Chris Hills wrote: > > In message <fje5tp$hnc$0...@news.t-online.com>, Heinz-J=FCrgen Oertel > > <hj.oer...@surfeu.de> writes > >>Hello, > >>just to be sure, can anyone confirm, the J-link from Segger > >>http://www.segger.com/jlink.html, or IAR, can nit be used under Linux. I=
s
> >>this correct? > > > The J-link is hardware... there is no Linux Sw for the J-link at the > > moment. Though it does have a gdb server (which isn't open source) > > > Regards > > Chris > > Chris, > does this mean that debuggers like ddd or Insight can be used under Linux > connected to the gdb server serving the J-Link hardware? > I can not find anything gdb-server related on the Segger site. Where can I=
> find more information about it? Even if it is not open source, depending o=
n
> the price, I like to get it, because we have some of these hardware parts > available. > > Regards > Heinz
Hello Heinz, 2 options where to start: http://www.segger.com/jlink_software_overview.html at the bottom of the page a link to GDB server Option #2, there is a new Support forum from SEGGER http://www.segger2.com/ Could be worth to sign up and post your specific question in "J-Link related" Robert
The jlink server is a Windows only program.

Eric wrote:

> The jlink server is a Windows only program.
I know. I asked for a Linux version in the Segger Forum. No answer from Segger so far. Heinz
In message <fk0ij7$dqi$00$1@news.t-online.com>, Heinz-J&#2013266172;rgen Oertel 
<hj.oertel@surfeu.de> writes
>Eric wrote: > >> The jlink server is a Windows only program. > >I know. I asked for a Linux version in the Segger Forum. No answer from >Segger so far.
I think the problem is that they would want to release it as a commercial binary. Not Open Source. -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
>>> The jlink server is a Windows only program. >>I know. I asked for a Linux version in the Segger Forum. No answer from >>Segger so far. > I think the problem is that they would want to release it as a > commercial binary. Not Open Source.
While open source would be nice, even a binary-only executable for Linux would save me the trouble of having an extra Windows machine sitting around only to be a debug server.
In message <m3zlw69idm.fsf@donnybrook.brouhaha.com>, Eric Smith 
<eric@brouhaha.com> writes
>>>> The jlink server is a Windows only program. >>>I know. I asked for a Linux version in the Segger Forum. No answer from >>>Segger so far. >> I think the problem is that they would want to release it as a >> commercial binary. Not Open Source. > >While open source would be nice, even a binary-only executable for >Linux would save me the trouble of having an extra Windows machine >sitting around only to be a debug server.
It has been brought to their attention... -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/