Small footprint RTOS for embedded system

Started by SteveM January 8, 2008
The book is not free, the RTOS is free for educational purposes, albeit not commerial use. It can be downloaded at www.micrium.com. At the commercial price it is very close to free unless you think you can duplicate it in under a week (see VLV in this thread). Scott
"Not Really Me" <scott@validatedQWERTYsoftware.XYZZY.com> writes:

> "Paul Burke" <paul@scazon.com> wrote in message > news:5uho3dF1d65r7U2@mid.individual.net... >> Wayne Farmer wrote: >>> On Jan 8, 6:37 am, "SteveM" <m.stev...@yahoo.com> wrote: >>>> I am looking for a free commercial usage & open source RTOS with small >>>> footprint. >> >>> Search your local amazon.com for books by "labrosse", and you'll find >>> Jean J. Labrosse's "MicroC OS II: The Real Time Kernel (With CD-ROM)", >>> ISBN 978-1578201037. I >> >> Not free by any definition! > > The book is not free, the RTOS is free for educational purposes, albeit not > commerial use. It can be downloaded at www.micrium.com. > At the commercial price it is very close to free unless you think you can > duplicate it in under a week (see VLV in this thread).
It appears to be several thousand dollars *per product*, i.e. you have to pay again for each project you use it on. While this may still be value for money (I don't know), I don't think it can be described as "very close to free". Especially since there *are* totally, actually free alternatives (and this was what the OP asked for). -- John Devereux

>>>Search your local amazon.com for books by "labrosse", and you'll find >>>Jean J. Labrosse's "MicroC OS II: The Real Time Kernel (With CD-ROM)", >>>ISBN 978-1578201037. I >> >>Not free by any definition! > > > The book is not free, the RTOS is free for educational purposes, albeit not > commerial use. It can be downloaded at www.micrium.com. > At the commercial price it is very close to free unless you think you can > duplicate it in under a week (see VLV in this thread).
The OP question was about basic task switch with semaphores. This is not a big deal; one can develop it himself. If you are familiar with the CPU, then it takes about a day. I've done that many times; works fine for the small projects. You can also see the SST for example. However a real full blown commercial RTOS should include much more then just task switch and semaphores. There should be messaging, trace/debug facility, memory management, hardware abstraction and a large set of useful utilities and drivers such as file systems, protocol stacks and GUI. Of course, it is a big work to develop all of that. Being disappointed with mucos, I developed somewhat more advanced small RTOS of my own. Of course, it was rewritten several times and it took a while to develop; it works fine now. The best output of it was the understanding of what is really required and why the certain things should be done by certain ways. However for the bigger projects I would consider a CPU with MMU and Windows CE as an OS. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
On 2008-01-09, John Devereux <jdREMOVE@THISdevereux.me.uk> wrote:

>> commerial use. It can be downloaded at www.micrium.com. At >> the commercial price it is very close to free unless you think >> you can duplicate it in under a week (see VLV in this thread). > > It appears to be several thousand dollars *per product*, i.e. > you have to pay again for each project you use it on. While > this may still be value for money (I don't know), I don't > think it can be described as "very close to free".
If you look at the actual development costs for most embedded systems, then yes, it can be described as "very close to free".
FreeRTOS and XMK are two that come to mind: http://www.freertos.org/ http://www.shift-right.com/xmk/ IIRC, they both impose requirements that you offer to supply source code to your customers. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! RELATIVES!! at visi.com
Grant Edwards wrote:
... snip ...
On 2008-01-09, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote: >> John Devereux <jdREMOVE@THISdevereux.me.uk> wrote: >> > ... snip ... >> >>> Especially since there *are* totally, actually free >>> alternatives (and this was what the OP asked for). >> >> FreeRTOS and XMK are two that come to mind: >> >> http://www.freertos.org/ >> http://www.shift-right.com/xmk/ >> >> IIRC, they both impose requirements that you offer to supply >> source code to your customers. > > Are you objecting?
No.
> Do you consider that excessive?
No. Do you find my mentioning it objectionable or excessive? I was just pointing out that they do impose that requirement. It's one thing that has to be considered when making a choice. I have customers who would rather spend a couple thousand dollars than set up and maintain a system/procedure for distributing source code to customers all over the world. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Of course, you at UNDERSTAND about the PLAIDS visi.com in the SPIN CYCLE --
Grant Edwards wrote:
> > FreeRTOS and XMK are two that come to mind: > > http://www.freertos.org/ > http://www.shift-right.com/xmk/ > > IIRC, they both impose requirements that you offer to supply > source code to your customers. >
FreeRTOS requires that any changes to the RTOS functions must be supplied to customers, and that the FreeRTOS code (not the application). There is no such requirement as to application code linked to the RTOS. See http://www.freertos.org/. "Linking FreeRTOS statically or dynamically with other modules is making a combined work based on FreeRTOS. Thus, the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License cover the whole combination. As a special exception, the copyright holder of FreeRTOS gives you permission to link FreeRTOS with independent modules that communicate with FreeRTOS solely through the FreeRTOS API interface, regardless of the license terms of these independent modules, and to copy and distribute the resulting combined work under terms of your choice, provided that 1. Every copy of the combined work is accompanied by a written statement that details to the recipient the version of FreeRTOS used and an offer by yourself to provide the FreeRTOS source code should the recipient request it. 2. The combined work is not itself an RTOS, scheduler, kernel or related product. 3. The combined work is not itself a library intended for linking into other software applications."
On Jan 8, 5:37=A0pm, "SteveM" <m.stev...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a free commercial usage & open source RTOS with small > footprint. I want RTOS to be very small preferably =A0<5KBytes, which does=
> just Task handling/ISR/Semaphore. > > I heard couple of small footprint RTOS like freeRTOS, Nucleus, ThreadX, > silRTOS, eCOS etc but don't have detail. Can someone help with details? >
Check out MiniRTL. :):) Karthik Balaguru
On 2008-01-10, Paul Burke <paul@scazon.com> wrote:

>> FreeRTOS and XMK are two that come to mind: >> >> http://www.freertos.org/ >> http://www.shift-right.com/xmk/ >> >> IIRC, they both impose requirements that you offer to supply >> source code to your customers. > > FreeRTOS requires that any changes to the RTOS functions must > be supplied to customers, and that the FreeRTOS code (not the > application). There is no such requirement as to application > code linked to the RTOS. See http://www.freertos.org/.
Right. I didn't mean to imply that the user's application source code had to be distributed -- I apologize is that's what it sounded like. But, distributing FreeRTOS source code imposes a cost on the user that has to be considered just as one would the licensing cost of a "non-free" RTOS that doesn't require the user to distribute any source code to the user's customers. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I had pancake makeup at for brunch! visi.com
You don't specify your target? You'll find a very simple "sEOS" scheduler for LPC2xxx microcontrollers here: http://www.tte-systems.com/books.php (along with some half-finished documentation in Chapter 4). Michael.