Can you recomend a good free serial communication monitor/terminal for WinXP?

Started by Alex January 9, 2008
Hello,

I am looking for a software program mentioned in the topic of this
message. I want to connect two PCs (one of them is running a developed
embeded software talking to the outside world through RS232, while the
second PC monitors the output from that first PC using null-modem). I
googled this subject before, but it returns mostly shareware/trial/
demo programs. The freeware products I foyund are not that convenient
after I tried them. I am sure there should be some good monitors
widely used for debugging

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Alex
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 01:45:06 -0800 (PST), I said, "Pick a card, any
card" and Alex <aloginov@asmpt.com> instead replied:

Have you tried Telnet? http://www.zephyrcorp.com/vt-100-telnet-client.htm?source=google&kw=telnet+client Here's PuTTY, a free version of a Telnet client: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ -- Ray
On Jan 9, 4:45 am, Alex <alogi...@asmpt.com> wrote:

> embeded software talking to the outside world through RS232, while the > second PC monitors the output from that first PC using null-modem). I
I use TeraTerm as my general-purpose terminal software. Do you need to monitor both directions of communication?
larwe wrote:
> On Jan 9, 4:45 am, Alex <alogi...@asmpt.com> wrote: > >> embeded software talking to the outside world through RS232, while the >> second PC monitors the output from that first PC using null-modem). I > > I use TeraTerm as my general-purpose terminal software. Do you need to > monitor both directions of communication?
If you need to monitor both directions, you could look at RealTerm - it can mix the data from two ports for just such a situation (otherwise try TeraTerm first, since it is simpler to use).
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 01:45:06 -0800 (PST), Alex <aloginov@asmpt.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>I am looking for a software program mentioned in the topic of this >message. I want to connect two PCs (one of them is running a developed >embeded software talking to the outside world through RS232, while the >second PC monitors the output from that first PC using null-modem). I >googled this subject before, but it returns mostly shareware/trial/ >demo programs. The freeware products I foyund are not that convenient >after I tried them. I am sure there should be some good monitors >widely used for debugging
like hyperterm? (microsoft junk included in windows) there's also kermit

AZ Nomad wrote:

>>I am looking for a software program mentioned in the topic of this >>message. > > like hyperterm? (microsoft junk included in windows)
Junk, of course. But it is always available. BTW, hyperterm is NOT from M$. (c) Hilgraeve Communications. VLV
> > Junk, of course. But it is always available. >
Not available on Vista. If you care..
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:40:45 GMT, -Giacomo- <"[rimuovi]"@[rimuovi]> wrote:

> [...]
How stupid. Microsoft could have simply said that they won't support it and included it anyway. I guess having room for dancing search bunnies was more important.
"AZ Nomad" <aznomad.2@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message =
> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:40:45 GMT, -Giacomo- <"[rimuovi]"@[rimuovi]> =
wrote:
>=20 >>> >>> Junk, of course. But it is always available. >>> >>Not available on Vista. If you care.. > How stupid. Microsoft could have simply said that they won't support =
it and
> included it anyway. I guess having room for dancing search bunnies =
was more
> important.
Lots of crippleware for this out there. I've found nothing that is free = that works for XP. Only one I've seen that works and is totally free is rs232107.zip. But = its dos based. Its in lots of places. This site might work. http://shareware.pcmag.com/product.php%5Bid%5D455%5Bcid%5D169%5BSiteID%5D= pcmag

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference