debugger for AT89LP214

Started by Bob January 9, 2008
I'm considering using the Atmel LP214 to act as a translator between
legacy hardware and a new imager (camera) chip. It's 14pin, has enough
Flash and RAM, and has the UART and counter to make life easy, but I'm a
little unclear on how one debugs code on a part like this.

I'm not interested in going back to the compile-burn-run puzzle or
dropping breadcrumbs (printf-style "begin Main()") - I like to step
through, set breakpoints and examine memory. Atmel shows how to use a
serial in circuit programmer connection, but it doesn't say JTAG so my
question is: Is there a debugger available for the AT89LP214?

TIA,
Bob
From the data sheet at: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=3955 The AT89LP213/214 On-chip Debug (OCD) System uses a two-wire serial interface to control program flow; read, modify, and write the system state; and program the nonvolatile memory. So, yes. donald
"Bob" <SkiBoyBob@excite.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I'm considering using the Atmel LP214 to act as a translator between > legacy hardware and a new imager (camera) chip. It's 14pin, has enough > Flash and RAM, and has the UART and counter to make life easy, but I'm a > little unclear on how one debugs code on a part like this. > > I'm not interested in going back to the compile-burn-run puzzle or > dropping breadcrumbs (printf-style "begin Main()") - I like to step > through, set breakpoints and examine memory. Atmel shows how to use a > serial in circuit programmer connection, but it doesn't say JTAG so my > question is: Is there a debugger available for the AT89LP214? > > TIA, > Bob
Why not use the ATtiny2313 instead? 2 kB code, SRAM, EEPROM and UART. You can get a free IAR C compiler (limited to 4 kB) also free gcc compiler. AVR Studio is free. STK500 is one of the better dev boards around. JTAGICE Mk II is supporting the 2313 using debugwire and will also support a vast number of 8 and 32 bit AVRs. (There is a low cost AVR Dragon as well) The AVR simulator inside free studio will help you along if you choose not to get the JTAGICE Mk II. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> "Bob" <SkiBoyBob@excite.com> skrev i meddelandet > news:5uklupF1i9v98U1@mid.individual.net... >> I'm considering using the Atmel LP214 to act as a translator between >> legacy hardware and a new imager (camera) chip. It's 14pin, has enough >> Flash and RAM, and has the UART and counter to make life easy, but I'm a >> little unclear on how one debugs code on a part like this. >> >> I'm not interested in going back to the compile-burn-run puzzle or >> dropping breadcrumbs (printf-style "begin Main()") - I like to step >> through, set breakpoints and examine memory. Atmel shows how to use a >> serial in circuit programmer connection, but it doesn't say JTAG so my >> question is: Is there a debugger available for the AT89LP214? >> >> TIA, >> Bob > > Why not use the ATtiny2313 instead? > 2 kB code, SRAM, EEPROM and UART. > > You can get a free IAR C compiler (limited to 4 kB) also free gcc compiler. > AVR Studio is free. > STK500 is one of the better dev boards around. > JTAGICE Mk II is supporting the 2313 using debugwire > and will also support a vast number of 8 and 32 bit AVRs. > (There is a low cost AVR Dragon as well) > > The AVR simulator inside free studio will help you along if you choose not > to > get the JTAGICE Mk II.
Thanks, Ulf! I'm already using the JTAGICE Mk II/AVR Studio on the ATMegas, I just hadn't noticed the ATtiny parts - my bad. Bob
If you go to http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools.asp?family_id=604 you will see they have a Simulator, and also an emulator add-on for Keil systems. A stand alone OCD from Atmel (that does not need Keil) is 'nearing release' it will use a RS232 port on the PC -jg