Buying IAR C

Started by Nickolai Leschov January 11, 2008
Hello,

Does anyone know how much can cost IAR C for a single 8-bit platform?
http://www.iar.com/index.php?show=850_ENG&&page_anchor=http://www.iar.com/p850/p850_eng.php
How can I buy it ?

IAR C seems to be by far the greatest C compiler for embedded platforms,
at least for the weaker 8-bit platforms like '51 and PIC. It is the only
only one that can generate reentrable code on these platforms, having
good IDE, debugger, profiler as well.

Regards,
Nickolai Leschov
St.-Petersburg, Russia
Nickolai Leschov wrote:
> Hello, > > Does anyone know how much can cost IAR C for a single 8-bit platform? > http://www.iar.com/index.php?show=850_ENG&&page_anchor=http://www.iar.com/p850/p850_eng.php > > How can I buy it ? > > IAR C seems to be by far the greatest C compiler for embedded platforms, > at least for the weaker 8-bit platforms like '51 and PIC. It is the only > only one that can generate reentrable code on these platforms, having > good IDE, debugger, profiler as well. >
There is no "greatest" compiler - there are many available for different 8-bit micros, each with their pros and cons. Figure out what microcontrollers you are using, what your requirements are for your tools, and what your budget is, and look around at all options before leaping to conclusions about suppliers. IAR is certainly a major player in this field, but it is by no means alone.
"Nickolai Leschov" <nleschov@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, > > Does anyone know how much can cost IAR C for a single 8-bit platform?
The typical price for a commertial embedded compiler package is at the order of $2400.
sales@iar.com
> IAR C seems to be by far the greatest C compiler for embedded platforms,
IAR is the greatest compiler for AVR, but definitely not the greatest for the others.
> at least for the weaker 8-bit platforms like '51 and PIC.
The best compilers are Keil for x51 and Hitech for PIC.
Eh? Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Consultant www.abvolt.com
"Vladimir Vassilevsky" <antispam_bogus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> IAR is the greatest compiler for AVR, but definitely not the greatest for > the others.
Would it be possible to questimate the code size IAR generates in comparison with ICCAVR? I have a project which completely fills an ATMega162 and I would like to have some space for extra features without a hardware redesign. Meindert

Meindert Sprang wrote:

>>IAR is the greatest compiler for AVR, but definitely not the greatest for >>the others. > > Would it be possible to questimate the code size IAR generates in comparison > with ICCAVR?
It was discussed many times; IIRC IAR beats AVRGCC and ICC in the code size by a factor of 1.3 to 1.5. The cross call optimization of IAR is very impressive.
You can probably gain several kbytes of space. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
--------------B26C60D6FB2112CAE994D09F

In article <47879030$0$29952$e4fe514c@dreader31.news.xs4all.nl>,
ms@NOJUNKcustomORSPAMware.nl says...
> "Vladimir Vassilevsky" <antispam_bogus@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:SaLhj.35545$lD6.7803@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net... > > IAR is the greatest compiler for AVR, but definitely not the greatest for > > the others. > > Would it be possible to questimate the code size IAR generates in comparison > with ICCAVR? I have a project which completely fills an ATMega162 and I > would like to have some space for extra features without a hardware > redesign. >
I don't know about ICCAVR vs IAR, but a colleague told me that IAR allowed a level of detail in linking and code placement on the MSP430 that made a project feasible with IAR that didn't fit with other compilers. Mark Borgerson
"Mark Borgerson" <mborgerson@comcast.net> wrote in message =
> In article <47879030$0$29952$e4fe514c@dreader31.news.xs4all.nl>,=20 > ms@NOJUNKcustomORSPAMware.nl says... >> "Vladimir Vassilevsky" <antispam_bogus@hotmail.com> wrote in message >> news:SaLhj.35545$lD6.7803@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net... >> > IAR is the greatest compiler for AVR, but definitely not the =
greatest for
>> > the others. >>=20 >> Would it be possible to questimate the code size IAR generates in =
comparison
>> with ICCAVR? I have a project which completely fills an ATMega162 and =
>> would like to have some space for extra features without a hardware >> redesign. >>=20 > I don't know about ICCAVR vs IAR, but a colleague told me that IAR=20 > allowed a level of detail in linking and code placement on the=20 > MSP430 that made a project feasible with IAR that didn't fit > with other compilers. > =20 > Mark Borgerson
I can give you a comparison of WINAVR (GCC) vs. IAR on AVR platform. With optimization turned on, IAR code was 30% smaller than GCC.
Nickolai Leschov wrote:
> Hello, > > Does anyone know how much can cost IAR C for a single 8-bit platform? > http://www.iar.com/index.php?show=850_ENG&&page_anchor=http://www.iar.com/p850/p850_eng.php > > How can I buy it ? > > IAR C seems to be by far the greatest C compiler for embedded platforms, > at least for the weaker 8-bit platforms like '51 and PIC. It is the only > only one that can generate reentrable code on these platforms, having > good IDE, debugger, profiler as well. > > Regards, > Nickolai Leschov > St.-Petersburg, Russia
If you Need re-entrable code on a PIC or 8052 you may have not chosen the best CPU for the job. Keil for the 8052 will generate re-entrant code if you tell it too. The program will be bigger, slow and use more RAM. The compiler can not make magic. The compiler is limit by the architecture.
>I can give you a comparison of WINAVR (GCC) vs. IAR on AVR platform. >With optimization turned on, IAR code was 30% smaller than GCC.
Make sure you are comparing like for like. By default IAR will remove unreferenced code, while GCC will not, although I'm sure IAR will still be smaller. Also the GCC libraries can get pulled in which make the code size larger. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop 14 official architecture ports, 5000 downloads per month. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference