MPC870

Started by Martin Euredjian August 31, 2004
Mark A. Odell <odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Martin Euredjian" <0_0_0_0_@pacbell.net> wrote in > news:a4oZc.14534$Hz7.4772@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com: > >>> Read well the UPM documentation before committing to the 8xx. >> >> I had a moment and took a quick look. This doesn't scare me that much. >> I've implemented FPGA-based SDRAM controllers from scratch. I can see >> the value in the flexibility offered, despite the complexity it adds. I >> can also see how some embedded guys could be horrified at the prospect >> of dealing with the UPM. > > Oh, it's not that, it's just that twiddling some signals on half-clock > boundaries and others on quarter clock boundaries with the RAM words in a > table listed top to bottom with time running down from top to bottom WRT > to cycles gets complicated. The documentation is not overly clear, nor > does the UPM diagramming tool seem to help (me at least) I spent a solid > day getting the single beat read and write cycles to work (from scratch > because I wanted to learn the UPM) and then wasted a week on the burst > cycles. I finally gave up and used an app. note. When booting the 405GPr > for the first time about 2 years later, I wrote a few simple bits to a > couple of registers and I was done in about an hour of tweaking. >
The UPM can be quite a pest, but Freescale has an "UPM Programming Tool" that can be downloaded. I haven't tested it myself, but I assume it can at least help in getting things up and running a bit faster. /Henrik --
Henrik Johnsson <henrik.johnsson@emw.ericsson.se> wrote in

>>> I had a moment and took a quick look. This doesn't scare me that >>> much. I've implemented FPGA-based SDRAM controllers from scratch. I >>> can see the value in the flexibility offered, despite the complexity >>> it adds. I can also see how some embedded guys could be horrified at >>> the prospect of dealing with the UPM. >> >> Oh, it's not that, it's just that twiddling some signals on half-clock >> boundaries and others on quarter clock boundaries with the RAM words in >> a table listed top to bottom with time running down from top to bottom >> WRT to cycles gets complicated. The documentation is not overly clear, >> nor does the UPM diagramming tool seem to help (me at least) I spent a >> solid day getting the single beat read and write cycles to work (from >> scratch because I wanted to learn the UPM) and then wasted a week on >> the burst cycles. I finally gave up and used an app. note. When booting >> the 405GPr for the first time about 2 years later, I wrote a few simple >> bits to a couple of registers and I was done in about an hour of >> tweaking. >> > > The UPM can be quite a pest, but Freescale has an "UPM Programming > Tool" that can be downloaded. I haven't tested it myself, but I assume > it can at least help in getting things up and running a bit faster.
The version I used was less helpful than just reading the data book. -- - Mark -> --

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference