Seeking Operating System abstraction Layer

Started by Baron Samedi January 22, 2008
hi,

  I am seeking an Operating System Abstraction Layer which will easily
let me port my code to Windows, Linux and VxWorks. It should
preferably be free, or at least cheap.

After lots of goggling, the only thing that looks anywhere near it to
it is the old NASA OSAL, but that is incomplete and seems to be
abandoned (even email is bouncing) .

Does anyone know of anything which fits the bill, or nearly so? Even
if it handles 2 out of 3, I suppose I could port the other.

Any pointers to websites, books, etc. gratefully received.,

Thanks in advance for any help.
Why not use a high level programming language with ports to all those
platforms, such as Java? There's sure to be a language somewhere that
will do what you want.

If you want it for a specific language (C, etc) you'll have to tell us
what language, and what sort of libraries you want to use.

Jack

Try just programming in ISO standard C. Some useful references about C: <http://c-faq.com/> (C-faq) <http://benpfaff.org/writings/clc/off-topic.html> (comp.lang.c) <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf> (C99) <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/n869_txt.bz2> (C99, txt) <http://www.dinkumware.com/refxc.html> (C-library} The text version of N869 is the standard compressed by bzip2. You can discuss the language on comp.lang.c. -- [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net) [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> Try the download section. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
In article <60bddd6e-3e04-4632-b37f-06687f8f38c5@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Papa.Legba.666@gmail.com says...
> hi, > > I am seeking an Operating System Abstraction Layer which will easily > let me port my code to Windows, Linux and VxWorks. It should > preferably be free, or at least cheap. > > After lots of goggling, the only thing that looks anywhere near it to > it is the old NASA OSAL, but that is incomplete and seems to be > abandoned (even email is bouncing) . > > Does anyone know of anything which fits the bill, or nearly so? Even > if it handles 2 out of 3, I suppose I could port the other. > > Any pointers to websites, books, etc. gratefully received., > > Thanks in advance for any help.
I think POSIX compliance is along the lines of what you're looking for. --Gene
"Jack Scott" <jack@jackscott.org> wrote in message
> [snipped Jack...] > Baron Samedi wrote: > > I am seeking an Operating System Abstraction Layer which will easily > > let me port my code to Windows, Linux and VxWorks. It should > > preferably be free, or at least cheap. > >
Have you looked at Simple DirectMedia Layer? http://www.libsdl.org/ SDL allows you to write your applications once. It supports Linux, Windows, and many other unix and unix-like OSes (BSD, IRIX, Solaris, QNX). But, I don't see VxWorks listed... It was inteded for multimedia, but you can even write applications that approach OSes in complexity for it. MAME, DOSBOX, and ScummVM have been ported to it. Wikipedia's description of SDL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_DirectMedia_Layer Rod Pemberton
...because for some reason I read this as

"seeking an Operating System Abstraction LAWYER".

Sean_Q_
On Jan 22, 10:52=A0am, Baron Samedi <Papa.Legba....@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, > > =A0 I am seeking an Operating System Abstraction Layer which will easily > let me port my code to Windows, Linux and VxWorks. It should > preferably be free, or at least cheap. > > After lots of goggling, the only thing that looks anywhere near it to > it is the old NASA OSAL, but that is incomplete and seems to be > abandoned (even email is bouncing) . > > Does anyone know of anything which fits the bill, or nearly so? Even > if it handles 2 out of 3, I suppose I could port the other. > > Any pointers to websites, books, etc. gratefully received., > > Thanks in advance for any help.
Look out for "Apache Portable Runtime" (apr) which is developed by the Apache Web Server guys, and offers a very nice interface over most common needs. Bruno
Baron Samedi wrote:
> hi, > > I am seeking an Operating System Abstraction Layer which will easily > let me port my code to Windows, Linux and VxWorks. It should > preferably be free, or at least cheap. > > After lots of goggling, the only thing that looks anywhere near it to > it is the old NASA OSAL, but that is incomplete and seems to be > abandoned (even email is bouncing) . > > Does anyone know of anything which fits the bill, or nearly so? Even > if it handles 2 out of 3, I suppose I could port the other. > > Any pointers to websites, books, etc. gratefully received., > > Thanks in advance for any help.
This depends entirely on the sort of OS services you want to use, and the sort of system you are talking about. If you want to use a gui, look at something like wxWidgets, or SDL. If your system is big enough, look at a high-level language such as Python. If you are doing C++ programming, consider the boost libraries. If you are doing unix-style development, look at posix (windows is partly posix compliant, and can be made more so with cygwin).
1st, A clear announcement that this slavery was prohibited by
    the Queen's Anti-Slavery Proclamation of 1845, and would not be
    permitted.

    2nd, Women who "supposed themselves to belong" to masters would be
    at once told that they were free agents and belonged to no one.

    3rd, The master who dared claim the ownership of a former slave
    would be prosecuted and suitably punished.

    4th, Any slave perishing miserably from disease would not only be
    healed at public expense, but placed where there was no further
    risk of contagion.

    5th, Since such slaves had "an urgent claim on the _active_
    protection of the Government," they would be treated as wards of
    the State until safe from like treatment a second time.

    6th, Since this slavery had sprung up in defiance of law, any
    official who at a future time connived at such crime would be
    liable to impeachment.

The Ordinance sent home for sanction, and approved of by Mr.
Labouchere as needed for the "protection" of slave women, was
proclai

he had made this investigation, and that no slaves existed in
    Chinatown. Immediately after his visit, she was removed to a
    family house, lest her rescue might be effected, and one man and
    two women set to watch her day and night. She feigned willingness
    to lead a bad life, and the two women, lulled into a sense of
    security, turned aside to gossip, while the man dropped off
    asleep. She suddenly rushed out of the house, and but for the
    quick wit and good offices of the colored girl might have missed
    the way to a safe harbor.

The following are cases of rescue reported from the Mission Home of
the Occidental Board of Missions of the Presbyterian Church:

    No. 1. Qui Que. This little girl was taken from a gambling den
    at Isleton, a small town on the Sacramento river. The woman who
    brought her from China died, and she was thus left to the care of
    this gang of gamblers. When Miss Cameron and her escort arrived at
    the house, the little girl of six or seven years sat on a table
    rolling cigarettes for the men who sat around it gambling. They
    were taken by surprise, and before they quite understood the
    situation the rescuers were gone with the little girl. When they
    discovered this, they fired several shots after the party, but no
    harm was done. The officer, with one hand on his r