Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone

Started by Colin MacDougall August 29, 2004
Hi,

I am currently looking in to a project to use a microcontroller
to send SMS type text messages to a GSM cellular phone. I have
thought about using either a Nokia phone attached to the micro
through the Nokia FBus interface or a GSM modem device.
What would be the easiest in terms of software writing and
is there any web resources on doing this kind of thing ?

TIA,  Colin

Hi Colin,

Here's a link that will help: http://www.embedtronics.com/nokia/fbus.html

I'd go for using the nokia interface and talk to a nokia phone and send
serial data to it from an embedded controller.

Dave.

"Colin MacDougall" <colin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:y6qYc.1121
$Lt6.13294782@news-text.cableinet.net:

> Hi, > > I am currently looking in to a project to use a microcontroller > to send SMS type text messages to a GSM cellular phone. I have > thought about using either a Nokia phone attached to the micro > through the Nokia FBus interface or a GSM modem device. > What would be the easiest in terms of software writing and > is there any web resources on doing this kind of thing ? > > TIA, Colin > >
AT commands via RS232 - extremely easy !! Sam
Thanks Dave, this is the kind of
info I was looking for.

Colin

Hi Colin, without wanting to take the fun out of your work, maybe the gadget you want to build was already invented, like e.g. this one: http://www.resi.cc/products/resi-sms-guard/index.php3?language=english regards, Mark
"Colin MacDougall" <colin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I am currently looking in to a project to use a microcontroller > to send SMS type text messages to a GSM cellular phone. I have > thought about using either a Nokia phone attached to the micro > through the Nokia FBus interface or a GSM modem device. > What would be the easiest in terms of software writing and > is there any web resources on doing this kind of thing ? > > TIA, Colin >
There was something very similar in one of the Atmel journals for the avr. Alex
Are these GSM devices available in the US ??

"hamilton" <hamilton@deminsional.com> wrote in message
> Are these GSM devices available in the US ?? > >
No idea, I'm not in the US. Alex
Thanks for the response.

I guess we here in the US are still in the dark ages.

> Thanks for the response. > > I guess we here in the US are still in the dark ages. > > Alex Gibson wrote: >> "hamilton" <hamilton@deminsional.com> wrote in message >> news:4137ce06$1_1@omega.dimensional.com... >> >>>Are these GSM devices available in the US ?? >>> >>> >> >> >> No idea, I'm not in the US. >> >> Alex >
I think the US does have some GSM coverage. Have a look at the countries listed here > http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml the US is included ! But I don't think the coverage is a wide yet as it is here in Europe. Colin

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference