Looking for bluetooth module

Started by Anton Erasmus August 28, 2004
Hi,

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can
connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to
write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple
commands to the module, and the module should handle all the
protocol specifics of bluetooth.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Haven't used any myself (yet), but here's some info:

http://www.btdesigner.com/qualmod.htm

--
...The Bit Eimer     [remove keinewurst and reverse letters in domain to
email me]

"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"

"Anton Erasmus" <nobody@spam.prevent.net> wrote in message
> Hi, > > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can > connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to > write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple > commands to the module, and the module should handle all the > protocol specifics of bluetooth. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus >
Anton Erasmus <nobody@spam.prevent.net> wrote in message news:<qlj1j0pe6thg4n0nbbd74de5lsneaohvlc@4ax.com>...
> Hi, > > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can > connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to > write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple > commands to the module, and the module should handle all the > protocol specifics of bluetooth. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus
Parallax is selling one. Go to their web site (www.parallax.com I think) and search the catalog for Bluetooth. I've used them to communicate between a data acquisiton module based around a PIC 16F and a PC with a Linksys Bluetooth to USB widget. Worked very well. Rob Young rwyoung@ieee.org
I am using BRM01 from RF Solutions.

http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk

SDC

"Anton Erasmus" <nobody@spam.prevent.net> escreveu na mensagem
> Hi, > > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can > connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to > write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple > commands to the module, and the module should handle all the > protocol specifics of bluetooth. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus >
Has anyone ever actually seen a Zensys product?  They were talking smack
about some badass low-bitrate wireless meshing module based off an 8051
some time ago.  Aimed for home automation and what not.  It looked
pretty cool, but I havent seen or heard from them in a long long time.

They're not purchasable, are they?

Myren
Hi,

I'm an embedded developer, but never worked on any Bluetooth stuff before.

Does anyone have any good links so I can do some reading up?

I am wondering what hw/sw would be involved in a Bluetooth hands free kit
for a mobile ( cell ) phone? Like the little Bluetooth head-sets you can buy
for $40 or so?? Do people offer off the shelf modules for this?

Thanks,
David.

"Anton Erasmus" <nobody@spam.prevent.net> wrote in message
> Hi, > > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can > connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to > write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple > commands to the module, and the module should handle all the > protocol specifics of bluetooth. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus >
I sure have seen one and held it in my hand.
DevKits are purchaseable at www.zen-sys.com .

/mikael

"myren, lord" <thefowle@wam.umd.edu> skrev i en meddelelse
> Has anyone ever actually seen a Zensys product? They were talking smack > about some badass low-bitrate wireless meshing module based off an 8051 > some time ago. Aimed for home automation and what not. It looked > pretty cool, but I havent seen or heard from them in a long long time. > > They're not purchasable, are they? > > Myren
http://www.lemosint.com/scripts/bluetooth_promiesd.asp

We've used it with superb results.

Anton Erasmus wrote:
> Hi, > > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can > connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to > write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple > commands to the module, and the module should handle all the > protocol specifics of bluetooth. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus >
Have you used this to communicate with a USB/Bluetooth dongle on a PC?

On their webpage, they talk of point-to-point comm; do you know if multiple
such units can talk "simultaneously" to a single bluetooth dongle?

Sorry if these might be stupid questions - I'm new to Bluetooth.

--

"Alan Cohen" <amc79@cornell.nojunkplease.edu> wrote in message
> http://www.lemosint.com/scripts/bluetooth_promiesd.asp > > We've used it with superb results. > > Anton Erasmus wrote: > > Hi, > > > > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can > > connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to > > write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple > > commands to the module, and the module should handle all the > > protocol specifics of bluetooth. > > > > Regards > > Anton Erasmus > >
Yes, we're chatting happily with a Linksys USB dongle; I believe that
we've had multiple simultaneous promi<->dongle conversations, but can't
swear to it.  In principal, it shouldn't be a problem.

Al

bit eimer wrote:

> Have you used this to communicate with a USB/Bluetooth dongle on a PC? > > On their webpage, they talk of point-to-point comm; do you know if multiple > such units can talk "simultaneously" to a single bluetooth dongle? > > Sorry if these might be stupid questions - I'm new to Bluetooth. >

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference