Scripting tools under Windows

Started by Alf February 7, 2008
Peter wrote:

... snip ...
> > Have you ever considered C/C++ interpreter Ch for scripting? > It is free and runs across platform. You can find the shell > scripting and C/C++ features in the following link: > > http://www.softintegration.com/docs/ch/shell/ > http://www.softintegration.com/products/chstandard/ > > The windows serial port I/O is well supported in the Ch. > http://www.softintegration.com/support/faq/windows.html#serial > http://www.softintegration.com/products/thirdparty/#robot > > of course, Ch is best suitable for embedded scripting: > http://www.softintegration.com/products/sdk/embedch/ > http://www.softintegration.com/solution/embedded/
Yes. I attempted to download it, signed in, etc. The system claimed it was sending me a password etc. by mail, and didn't. I gave up. -- [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net) [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> Try the download section. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
On Feb 7, 6:47=A0am, Alf <alfk...@ieee.removetheobvious.org> wrote:
> Hi guys, > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Like a lot of you I develop devices that need to be progra=
mmed,
> configured and tested in a production environment, often in conjunction > with firmware test functions on the embedded device. =A0Much of this is > accomplished from Windows PCs using serial and parallel ports and > usually involves running small utility programs. =A0Naturally I want to > script these procedures to require the minimum amount of human > intervention, both for efficiencey and repeatability. > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 So what scripting tools are you guys using out there? > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Years ago, I used QuickBasic to quickly knock up this sort=
of script,
> usually 1/2 an hour at most, a nice set of serial and parallel port > manipulation tools and easy to run little external apps (e.g. a bin2hex > utility). =A0Of course QuickBasic is not compatible with modern Microsoft > OS's. > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 My preference is for a simple language that does not have =
to produce
> robust shrink-wrap code, isn't bloated with GUI stuff, has serial comms > with control over handshake lines, can control parallel port lines, can > send data to other apps and receive data from them, read and write files > and interact with the user via a console, and can be batched. =A0It should=
> be capable of being modified by Windows programmers, embedded > programmers, hardware engineers and production techs without too much of > a learning curve - kind of leaves out huge APIs and frameworks. > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Some of the tools used around various places I interface w=
ith include:
> > Python: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 A different language every week, can't do anything=
on its own
> but needs a bunch of libraries - and there's 32 different varieties of > each. =A0It's also a different language every fortnight. > > C# / .Net: =A0 =A0 =A0Like Python, has way to rich an API but makes the si=
mplest
> things seem difficult - e.g getting unbuffered bytes from a serial port. > > Labview: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Really well suited to the task, but difficult for =
Labview
> newbies to get to grips with, and damned expensive. > > Your ideas would be appreciated. > > Cheers, > alf
You should look into Windows PowerShell. This is a new scripting shell from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershel= l/default.mspx -- EventStudio 4.0 - http://www.Eventhelix.com/Eventstudio/ Sequence diagram based embedded system design tool

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference