Atmel AVR Road Map

Started by Mike Warren February 25, 2008
Does anyone know if Atmel has a product lifetime road map for their
AVR devices?

I can't seem to find one on their web site.

I just noticed that the ATTiny26 is "not recommended for new designs"
and would like to know how long they are expected to be produced for.

--
-Mike
On Feb 25, 7:31 pm, "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-...@or-this-
csas.net.au> wrote:
> Does anyone know if Atmel has a product lifetime road map for their > AVR devices? > > I can't seem to find one on their web site. > > I just noticed that the ATTiny26 is "not recommended for new designs" > and would like to know how long they are expected to be produced for.
When you see that sign, they are not produced anymore. Distributors can't order anymore of them. There seems to be plenty of Attiny26-8SU around (200,000), but less of other packages. If your product really needs that chip, you should buy up life-time worth of inventory.
linnix wrote:

> On Feb 25, 7:31 pm, "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-...@or-this- > csas.net.au> wrote: > > Does anyone know if Atmel has a product lifetime road map for > > their AVR devices? > > > > I can't seem to find one on their web site.
> > When you see that sign, they are not produced anymore. Distributors > can't order anymore of them.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there might be a published road map for all their chips.
> Attiny26-8SU around (200,000), but less of other packages. If your > product really needs that chip, you should buy up life-time worth > of inventory.
I use 16SI but should already have enough for my needs. Just need to find something else suitable for the next product. Won't be a problem as they have lots to choose from. :-) -- -Mike

Mike Warren wrote:
> Does anyone know if Atmel has a product lifetime road map for their > AVR devices? > > I can't seem to find one on their web site. > > I just noticed that the ATTiny26 is "not recommended for new designs" > and would like to know how long they are expected to be produced for.
Being once a fan of AVR, I quit using the processors from Atmel. Reason: they keep changing and dropping the product lines at all time. Atmel does not provide for the 100% compatible replacements, which means that the whole lot of work has to be redone, the procedures have to be changed and everything has to be tested again. This is not acceptable for the embedded applications in my field. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
On Feb 26, 1:08 am, "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-...@or-this-
csas.net.au> wrote:
> linnix wrote: > > On Feb 25, 7:31 pm, "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-...@or-this- > > csas.net.au> wrote: > > > Does anyone know if Atmel has a product lifetime road map for > > > their AVR devices? > > > > I can't seem to find one on their web site. > > > When you see that sign, they are not produced anymore. Distributors > > can't order anymore of them. > > Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there might be a published road > map for all their chips.
I did see something like that a few years ago, but everything is subject to change.
> > > Attiny26-8SU around (200,000), but less of other packages. If your > > product really needs that chip, you should buy up life-time worth > > of inventory. > > I use 16SI but should already have enough for my needs.
SI is leaded. You might have to go unleaded (SU) sometimes in the future.
> Just need to > find something else suitable for the next product. Won't be a problem > as they have lots to choose from. :-)
I believe the Tiny25/45/85 is their main path of migrations; so, it would be safe to design around them.
> > -- > -Mike
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 04:31:21 +0100 (CET), "Mike Warren"
<miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-csas.net.au> wrote:

>I just noticed that the ATTiny26 is "not recommended for new designs" >and would like to know how long they are expected to be produced for. >
The Tiny261 seems to be the successor of the Tiny26. Mit freundlichen Gr&#4294967295;&#4294967295;en Frank-Christian Kr&#4294967295;gel
>> Does anyone know if Atmel has a product lifetime road map for their >> AVR devices? >> >> I can't seem to find one on their web site. >> >> I just noticed that the ATTiny26 is "not recommended for new designs" >> and would like to know how long they are expected to be produced for. > > When you see that sign, they are not produced anymore. Distributors > can't order anymore of them. There seems to be plenty of Attiny26-8SU > around (200,000), but less of other packages. If your product really > needs that chip, you should buy up life-time worth of inventory. >
Not really true. You are confusing "not recommended" with Last Time Buy. "not recommended" means simply that. The company reselling the product, thinks that you are better off by designing in another component. In this case, the ATtiny261 Sometimes this means that it is planned to be obsolete, and sometimes there are other reasons. I know of one part which was in production for 15 years after beeing stamped with "not recommened for new designs". Searching for "Debugwire", in the ATtiny26 datasheet, might give you a hint, why it is better to use the ATtiny261. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

> Not really true. You are confusing "not recommended" with Last Time > Buy. "not recommended" means simply that.
So I guess Atmel don't publish a road map?
> I know of one part which was in production for 15 years after beeing > stamped with "not recommened for new designs".
AT-S1200?
> Searching for "Debugwire", in the ATtiny26 datasheet, might > give you a hint, why it is better to use the ATtiny261.
But no doubt more expensive. I'll look it up. -- -Mike
Mike Warren wrote:
> Ulf Samuelsson wrote: >>Searching for "Debugwire", in the ATtiny26 datasheet, might >>give you a hint, why it is better to use the ATtiny261. > > > But no doubt more expensive. I'll look it up.
Not always. There is also such a thing as a 'go away' price on older parts !! We've just helped someone with a Freescale 'not for new design' device. The original part IS still available (but fading), but price is now over 3x that of the equivalent newer replacement part. (but they do have to move to SMD, which they were doing anyway..) -jg
> Ulf Samuelsson wrote: > >> Not really true. You are confusing "not recommended" with Last Time >> Buy. "not recommended" means simply that. > > So I guess Atmel don't publish a road map?
Decisions on LTB can be made for various reasons. I think a normal behaviour for semiconductor companies is to mark a part as "not recommended" for new designs, and then inform the sales force about the roadmap for obsolecense. The LTB itself is is a formal process starting with the announcement of LTB, giving certain time for the customer to order parts. This is mostly, but not always followed in my experience. By making sure you get these announcements, you also ensure you will be updated with the roadmap.
>> I know of one part which was in production for 15 years after beeing >> stamped with "not recommened for new designs". > > AT-S1200? >
Not an Atmel part.
>> Searching for "Debugwire", in the ATtiny26 datasheet, might >> give you a hint, why it is better to use the ATtiny261. > > But no doubt more expensive. I'll look it up. > > -- > -Mike
-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-csas.net.au> skrev i meddelandet news:xn0fmxj3b5s4sp004@aioe.cjb.net...

Memfault Beyond the Launch