What is your favorite PCB software?

Started by Joel April 7, 2008
Just curious about what everyone uses.  I've been using Orcad PCB editor.
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 09:19:52 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
and "Joel" <joelbenway@gmail.com> instead replied:

http://ezr2000plus.com/index_files/Page371.htm Brilliant! Easy to learn and use. Very capable. Don't let the price fool you. -- Ray
On 2008-04-07, Joel <joelbenway@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just curious about what everyone uses. I've been using Orcad PCB editor.
I use Eagle. It's cheap, and it runs on both Linux and OSX. I tried open-source gEDA stuff once upon a time, but the learning curve was a bit too tough for me. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! !! I am having fun!!! at visi.com
Joel wrote:
> Just curious about what everyone uses. I've been using Orcad PCB editor.
Been using Eagle since about 2000: http://www.cadsoft.de/ Considering I now have probably a man*yr of effort into developing my own Eagle device libs, it's unlikely I'll ever change. Unless I have to do something dramatically outside the scope of Eagle's abilities. I have no complaints about Eagle. It is one of the most stable programs I run. (On Linux). Consider carefully what software you choose, because if you put effort into package/device design, the longer you do it the more wedded you will be. -- Good day! ____________________________________ CRC crobcREMOVETHIS@BOGUSsbcglobal.net NOTE, delete texts: "REMOVETHIS" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
gEDA/PCB exclusively.

I tried Eagle once, but one of the first footprints I used was wrong
(common part, subtle but fatal error) and the free version couldn't
handle the board I was designing.
. http://www.pulsonix.com Leon
Joel wrote:
> Just curious about what everyone uses. I've been using Orcad PCB editor.
GSCHEM and PCB here under FreeBSD
"Joel" <joelbenway@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just curious about what everyone uses. I've been using Orcad PCB editor.
Easy PC - simple, cheap, stable a bit limited - ie running out of steam on 6 layer design with 256 pin BGAs where you start wishing you had fancy pin-swapping-to-optimise -routing features. Michael Kellett www.mkesc.co.uk
> Just curious about what everyone uses. I've been using Orcad PCB editor.
I am using Altium Designer since two years. It had some oddities in the beginning, but they have added some real nice things I've been wishing for in the latest versions. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
MK wrote:

> Easy PC - simple, cheap, stable a bit limited...you start wishing you had fancy > pin-swapping-to-optimise -routing features.
Well you have got some pin swapping, which should be fine on an FPGA or the like, where the IOs are (mostly) equivalent. It's definitely not fancy though- it can't warn you if you blithely swap with some power or special purpose pin, and it doesn't know about groupings, so gate or opamp swapping needs a bit of care. And it's not automatic at all, and you end up with a lot of schematic tidy-up when you've finished. But I'd concur that it's a very good low- end package. JS