   I am new to any RTOS and wanted to learn more about it. Can some post
me small & freely available RTOS with documents details & source code.
Also let me know, if these RTOS are absolutely FREE to use for commercial
requirement. I am looking for small(<10KB), FREE(cost 0 cents),
popular(used readily) RTOS :-)

Thanks in advance.

"ROB" <rob701101@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:IO-dnWaR0svMup_VnZ2dnUVZ_oqhnZ2d@giganews.com...
> Hi, > I am new to any RTOS and wanted to learn more about it. Can some post > me small & freely available RTOS with documents details & source code. > Also let me know, if these RTOS are absolutely FREE to use for commercial > requirement. I am looking for small(<10KB), FREE(cost 0 cents), > popular(used readily) RTOS :-) > > Thanks in advance. >
Did you try Goggling "Free RTOS"? -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop 17 official architecture ports, more than 5000 downloads per month. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
you can use ucos-ii
of free-rtos
or rtos-51
or  ...........

"ROB" <rob701101@yahoo.com> &#1076;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;&#994;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;:IO-dnWaR0svMup_VnZ2dnUVZ_oqhnZ2d@giganews.com...
On 2008-04-14, herald <heraldsoft@netease.com> wrote:

>> I am new to any RTOS and wanted to learn more about it. Can >> some post me small & freely available RTOS with documents >> details & source code. Also let me know, if these RTOS are >> absolutely FREE to use for commercial requirement. I am >> looking for small(<10KB), FREE(cost 0 cents), popular(used >> readily) RTOS :-)
> you can use ucos-ii
No he can't. uc/os-ii is a commercial product. It's not free.
-- Grant Edwards grante Yow! RHAPSODY in Glue! at visi.com
herald wrote:

> or rtos-51
??????? Where did you find this ?? donald
In message <IO-dnWaR0svMup_VnZ2dnUVZ_oqhnZ2d@giganews.com>, ROB
<rob701101@yahoo.com> writes
>Hi, > I am new to any RTOS and wanted to learn more about it. Can some post >me small & freely available RTOS with documents details & source code. >Also let me know, if these RTOS are absolutely FREE to use for commercial >requirement. I am looking for small(<10KB), FREE(cost 0 cents), >popular(used readily) RTOS :-)
There are many free RTOS but most if not all are usually chargeable for commercial development Why would you want a free rtos for a commercial development? If you are looking to be paid for your work you should pay others who contribute to it. The free RTOS that are really free (ie FOSS) will usually require that you publish all your source code as well.. -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Note the 'usually' - FreeRTOS.org does not require this. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop 17 official architecture ports, more than 5000 downloads per month. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Chris H wrote:
> In message <IO-dnWaR0svMup_VnZ2dnUVZ_oqhnZ2d@giganews.com>, ROB > <rob701101@yahoo.com> writes >> Hi, >> I am new to any RTOS and wanted to learn more about it. Can some post >> me small & freely available RTOS with documents details & source code. >> Also let me know, if these RTOS are absolutely FREE to use for commercial >> requirement. I am looking for small(<10KB), FREE(cost 0 cents), >> popular(used readily) RTOS :-) > > > There are many free RTOS but most if not all are usually chargeable for > commercial development
Many open source software suppliers will charge for support, or for add-on software, and may have dual licenses for those that don't like the open source licenses. But that certainly does not mean you can't do commercial development with the open source versions of the systems.
> > Why would you want a free rtos for a commercial development? If you are > looking to be paid for your work you should pay others who contribute to > it. >
Looking at it from the other viewpoint, why would you pay a commercial supplier if an open source system is available cost-free? Of course, there are many ways to measure "cost" - up-front cash price is just one of these. But for someone trying out an RTOS for learning purposes, zero cash price is definitely an advantage, and being open source (thus having the source available, and having a development community used to sharing code and knowledge) is a huge plus. Open source developers and publishers appreciate getting feedback, contributions, and other sorts of active participation from users, not just cash payments (of course, they often like that too!).
> The free RTOS that are really free (ie FOSS) will usually require that > you publish all your source code as well.. >
Actually, I don't think it is "usually". The FOSS RTOS's that I can think of off-hand (FreeRTOS, eCos, RTEMS, NutOS) all have licenses that let you freely use them with closed source applications (although you might have to provide source for any modifications you make to the RTOS itself, which is fair enough). There is plenty of other software available with unmodified GPL or LGPL licensing, which will restrict their use in embedded systems - for small statically linked systems, you will probably have to release all your application code under the same license. It is certainly worth checking fully. But as Richard pointed out, you should have no problems using FreeRTOS (and it is probably the best choice for small systems like this).

> Hi, > I am new to any RTOS and wanted to learn more about it. Can some post > me small & freely available RTOS with documents details & source code. > Also let me know, if these RTOS are absolutely FREE to use for commercial > requirement. I am looking for small(<10KB), FREE(cost 0 cents), > popular(used readily) RTOS :-)
Roll your own. At least, that will be the good learning experience. Labrosse's book is the great help. 10kb could be just the basic kernel with the mailbox/semaphore primitives, static memory model and hard linkage to the application code. Developing such thing is a weekend project. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
On 2008-04-14, FreeRTOS.org <noemail@given.com> wrote:

>> The free RTOS that are really free (ie FOSS) will usually >> require that you publish all your source code as well..
I call FUD.
> Note the 'usually' - FreeRTOS.org does not require this.
Neither does eCos. Neither does XMK. I don't know of any free RTOSes that require you to publish all your source code. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Can you MAIL a BEAN at CAKE? visi.com

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference