Large Wireless networks?

Started by Vladimir Vassilevsky April 23, 2008
  The task is to create a large (up to 10k nodes) ad-hoc wireless
network   covering the area of several sq. km, so there is a need for
many retransmission hops. The nodes are not moving; however the network
should be able to reconfigure itself once a node is added or deleted.
The communication in the network is always initiated by a single
dedicated master. The master needs to collect the  information (~100
bytes) from the each node once in a while, however it is desired that
the whole network could be polled in the time of 15 minutes. Power
consumption does matter; that rules out the 802.11x.

I am looking for the module level solution which would allow to
implement this network with the minimum hassle. Designing the networking
protocols is something that I would really like to avoid.

The candidate technology could be ZigBee; however I have big doubts
about the scalability to 10k nodes. There are some proprietary and
semi-proprietary solutions on the market; however it looks like they
never tested it with more then 20...30 nodes.

Can you suggest a more or less proven solution for that type of application?

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 02:39:32 GMT, Vladimir Vassilevsky
<antispam_bogus@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > The task is to create a large (up to 10k nodes) ad-hoc wireless >network covering the area of several sq. km, so there is a need for >many retransmission hops. The nodes are not moving; however the network >should be able to reconfigure itself once a node is added or deleted. >The communication in the network is always initiated by a single >dedicated master. The master needs to collect the information (~100 >bytes) from the each node once in a while, however it is desired that >the whole network could be polled in the time of 15 minutes. Power >consumption does matter; that rules out the 802.11x.
With those requirements the master can spend only 100 ms with each slave. Assuming some timeouts and retransmissions, this is quite hard, even if the data rate is quite low. In practice, you will need some kind of hierarchial systems, with data concentrators and thus different frequency channels (or CDMA sequences). Since the slaves are not mobile, it would help a lot (in throughput and power consumption), if you could assign a frequency channel (and thus a concentrator) based on the approximate geographical location. Paul
Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:
> > The task is to create a large (up to 10k nodes) ad-hoc wireless > network covering the area of several sq. km, so there is a need > for many retransmission hops. The nodes are not moving; however > the network should be able to reconfigure itself once a node is > added or deleted. The communication in the network is always > initiated by a single dedicated master. The master needs to > collect the information (~100 bytes) from the each node once in > a while, however it is desired that the whole network could be > polled in the time of 15 minutes. Power consumption does matter; > that rules out the 802.11x. > > I am looking for the module level solution which would allow to > implement this network with the minimum hassle. Designing the > networking protocols is something that I would really like to > avoid.
While I would probably be amused by that section. No, I am not applying for anything. However, you have omitted some critical information, such as communication rate over the network, and communication density. From your numbers addressing requires at least a 14 bit unsigned quantity. Polling 10k items in 15 minutes from a single point leaves an absolute max of 9000 / 10k ~= 1 sec per poll. That ignores any retransmissions needed. Sounds like the addresses have to be position dependant. These are just initial thoughts. -- [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net) [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> Try the download section. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
"Vladimir Vassilevsky" <antispam_bogus@hotmail.com> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message
de news: EpSPj.236$506.213@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...
> > The task is to create a large (up to 10k nodes) ad-hoc wireless network > covering the area of several sq. km, so there is a need for many > retransmission hops. The nodes are not moving; however the network should > be able to reconfigure itself once a node is added or deleted. The > communication in the network is always initiated by a single dedicated > master. The master needs to collect the information (~100 bytes) from the > each node once in a while, however it is desired that the whole network > could be polled in the time of 15 minutes. Power consumption does matter; > that rules out the 802.11x.
Hi Vladimir, We are right now developping a quite similar project. Constraints on our project were to get short data messages from up to 1000 moving nodes in "real time", meaning no longer than 20 seconds for the 1000 nodes, with low power consumption (around 1mA average). We quicly concluded that no standard protocol was applicable, and in particular not Zigbee due to the heavy dataflow and node count. We (unfortunatly) ended up with the design of a custom TDMA & FDMA protocol working in the 868MHz european ISM band, with a lot of cautions regarding regulatory frequency use constraints (duty cycle, etc). In order to reduce power the only reasonnable solution was however to allow the end node to initiate the communication. Design is still on going but that's a really interesting kind of project... Yours, -- Robert Lacoste ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts www.alciom.com
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:53:45 -0400, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Polling 10k items in 15 minutes >from a single point leaves an absolute max of 9000 / 10k ~= 1 sec >per poll. That ignores any retransmissions needed.
You must have short seconds where you live, if you managed to get 9000 into 15 minutes :-). In any half-duplex protocol, the Rx/Tx turnaround delay is critical in order to get a decent throughput. Any receiver with ordinary IF and a single PLL frequency synthesizer should be avoided, since the PLL would have to swing from the Rx local oscillator frequency to the transmit frequency, which can take a quite long time, before the transmission can begin. Using a zero-IF receiver or separate PLLs for Rx and Tx would be OK. One way to reduce the effects of Rx/Tx delays would be to use a TDMA system, in which the master sends a common sync message and each slave has a time slot based on the node-ID in which it has to transmit. The distances in the OP's case are so small, that the two-way propagation delay is only a few microseconds, so you do not have to leave large guard bands into the slot or use some GSM style propagation delay compensation. In TDMA or ordinary master/slave systems, in order to reduce the slave power consumption, the master should use a fixed poll cycle, thus the slave receiver could be turned of for most of the polling cycle and be activated just slightly prior to the expected poll to this slave (as in DVB-H). Paul
Yeah, we specialize in deci-secs. :-) -- [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net) [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> Try the download section. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

 >  The task is to create a large (up to 10k nodes) ad-hoc wireless
 > network   covering the area of several sq. km, so there is a need for
 > many retransmission hops. The nodes are not moving; however the network
 > should be able to reconfigure itself once a node is added or deleted.
 > The communication in the network is always initiated by a single
 > dedicated master. The master needs to collect the  information (~100
 > bytes) from the each node once in a while, however it is desired that
 > the whole network could be polled in the time of 15 minutes. Power
 > consumption does matter; that rules out the 802.11x.
 >
 > I am looking for the module level solution which would allow to
 > implement this network with the minimum hassle. Designing the networking
 > protocols is something that I would really like to avoid.
 >
 > The candidate technology could be ZigBee; however I have big doubts
 > about the scalability to 10k nodes. There are some proprietary and
 > semi-proprietary solutions on the market; however it looks like they
 > never tested it with more then 20...30 nodes.
 >
 > Can you suggest a more or less proven solution for that type of
 > application?
 >

 > Vladimir Vassilevsky
 > DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
 > http://www.abvolt.com

Consider trying http://www.inovonics.com/

They may have an off-the-shelf answer.   I don't work for them or
represent them in any way.  I am not overly familiar with their offerings.

I used one of their products to implement a custom solution years ago.
Their product was solid and easy to use.

Cheers,
Jody
Un bel giorno Vladimir Vassilevsky digit&#4294967295;:

> Power consumption does matter
Define "matter". :) If something near to 30 mW is acceptable, the easiest and ready-to-go solution is to use some RF chip with embedded packet handling, for example the Nordic chips (nRF24L01, or nRF24LU1 if costs requirements are tight and an 8051 MCU is enough). Scalability doesn't look to be a problem, if you have a point-multipoint architecture (a single master). IIRC the entire send-acknowlesge sequence of nRF24L01's proprietary protocol needs something in the range 1-10 ms, depending on how many retransmissions you set. -- emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

> The task is to create a large (up to 10k nodes) ad-hoc wireless > network covering the area of several sq. km, so there is a need for > many retransmission hops.
That, and considerable transmission strength even for individual hops. 10k nodes spread over several km^2 means you're looking at over 20 meters average node distance --- each node has several 100 m^2 to itself!
> The communication in the network is always initiated by a single > dedicated master.
That's a bad idea, I think. It doubles the network's latency for no positive effect.
> The master needs to collect the information (~100 > bytes) from the each node once in a while, however it is desired that > the whole network could be polled in the time of 15 minutes.
So the master needs 1 Mbyte/s of bandwidth --- so will the individual nodes, because any of them may have to be able to bridge large parts of the master's throughput. That runs seriously afoul of this requirement:
> Power consumption does matter; that rules out the 802.11x.
Well, you'll need a good part of its bandwidth, more than its (reliable) distance, and way more than its capacity in terms of number of nodes in the net. In other words, you're trying to put to shame an entire industry that is putting a lot of time and money into out-performing each other on all these aspects. Good luck --- you'll need it
Un bel giorno dalai lamah digit&#4294967295;:

>> covering the area of several sq. km, so there is a need for >> many retransmission hops
Ooops, I didn't notice the multiple hops thing. It's much easier if you can install a big and high antenna on the master station so that you can separately contact every client. "Several square kilometers" could mean a maximum distance of 2-3 km from the master station; I think that it's a lot easier to find a way to reach that range obeying the ITU/FCC/etc rules on tx power, rather than building a complex mesh network with 10k clients based on a trivial, lightweight protocol. Using the 868/900 MHz ISM band instead of the 2.4 GHz band could help. -- emboliaschizoide.splinder.com

Memfault Beyond the Launch