ANNC: FPGA Design Software Webcast

Started by bart May 7, 2008
Lattice is holding a webcast today, Wednesday, May 7th, on our latest
version of our FPGA software design tools "ispLEVER 7.1 FPGA Design
Tool Technical Rollout." The presenter will be Troy Scott, from our
software marketing group.

If you're interested, the event takes place live at 11am Pacific,
18:00 GMT. In addition, you will be able to view this webcast archive
on-demand, at your convenience, starting a few hours after the live
event takes place.

You can register by clicking:
http://www.latticesemi.com/corporate/webcasts/isplever7.1fpgadesigntool.cfm

Bart Borosky, Lattice
On Wed, 7 May 2008 10:52:01 -0700 (PDT), bart
<bart.borosky@latticesemi.com> wrote:

>Lattice is holding a webcast today, Wednesday, May 7th, on our latest >version of our FPGA software design tools "ispLEVER 7.1 FPGA Design >Tool Technical Rollout." The presenter will be Troy Scott, from our >software marketing group. > >If you're interested, the event takes place live at 11am Pacific, >18:00 GMT. In addition, you will be able to view this webcast archive >on-demand, at your convenience, starting a few hours after the live >event takes place. > >You can register by clicking: >http://www.latticesemi.com/corporate/webcasts/isplever7.1fpgadesigntool.cfm > >Bart Borosky, Lattice
To Lattice: We dumped Lattice over buggy compilers and dinky performance. Now that you're spamming our group, I'll make the ban permanent. To the group: Whenever anybody spams us, please 1. Blackball them as a vendor 2. Say bad things about their companies and products, preferably with lots of google-searchable keywords. John
John Larkin wrote:
> > To Lattice: > > We dumped Lattice over buggy compilers and dinky performance. Now that > you're spamming our group, I'll make the ban permanent. > > > To the group: > > Whenever anybody spams us, please > > 1. Blackball them as a vendor > > 2. Say bad things about their companies and products, preferably with > lots of google-searchable keywords. > > John
Was this really necessary? If there were technical webcasts from any of the big vendors, I'd like to know about them though preferably more than 8 minutes beforehand. If the posts of this nature got to be more than a couple a month from any one source I'd agree with the spam catagorization but it isn't that frequent. I'm disappointed that you had problems with them in the past and won't trust them for future designs because of your history; competition is almost always good. But is it reason to be publicly vocal? Kill-lists are easy to manage if bart's messages offend you. - John_H
John Larkin wrote:

> On Wed, 7 May 2008 10:52:01 -0700 (PDT), bart > <bart.borosky@latticesemi.com> wrote: > > >>Lattice is holding a webcast today, Wednesday, May 7th, on our latest >>version of our FPGA software design tools "ispLEVER 7.1 FPGA Design >>Tool Technical Rollout." The presenter will be Troy Scott, from our >>software marketing group. >> >>If you're interested, the event takes place live at 11am Pacific, >>18:00 GMT. In addition, you will be able to view this webcast archive >>on-demand, at your convenience, starting a few hours after the live >>event takes place. >> >>You can register by clicking: >>http://www.latticesemi.com/corporate/webcasts/isplever7.1fpgadesigntool.cfm >> >>Bart Borosky, Lattice > > > > > To Lattice: > > We dumped Lattice over buggy compilers and dinky performance. Now that > you're spamming our group, I'll make the ban permanent.
General Comment: I've not found complex Sw yet that does not have some bugs/blindspots. I've also improved (pretty much) all the engineering SW I use, by giving usable errata reports to the supplier(s). 'dinky' I have no idea about, does not sound like an engineering term ? Do all your design decisions have the same carefull reasoning basis ? What Bart could do is include a link to the Tools Revision History, so potential (and past) users can see what has been changed. -jg
John Larkin wrote:
> bart <bart.borosky@latticesemi.com> wrote: > >> Lattice is holding a webcast today, Wednesday, May 7th, on our >> latest version of our FPGA software design tools "ispLEVER 7.1 >> FPGA Design Tool Technical Rollout." The presenter will be Troy >> Scott, from our software marketing group. >> >> If you're interested, the event takes place live at 11am Pacific, >> 18:00 GMT. In addition, you will be able to view this webcast >> archive on-demand, at your convenience, starting a few hours >> after the live event takes place. >> >> You can register by clicking: >> http://www.latticesemi.com/corporate/webcasts/isplever7.1fpgadesigntool.cfm > > We dumped Lattice over buggy compilers and dinky performance. > Now that you're spamming our group, I'll make the ban permanent.
You're wrong. Proper announcements are quite topical. The quality may be questionable, and that is also suitable for discussion. Of course, making the announcement less than one hour before the event begins is indicative of poor thinking. Even 24 hours notice would be cutting it close. -- [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net) [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> Try the download section. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
On Wed, 7 May 2008 12:19:40 -0700 (PDT), John_H
<newsgroup@johnhandwork.com> wrote:

>John Larkin wrote: >> >> To Lattice: >> >> We dumped Lattice over buggy compilers and dinky performance. Now that >> you're spamming our group, I'll make the ban permanent. >> >> >> To the group: >> >> Whenever anybody spams us, please >> >> 1. Blackball them as a vendor >> >> 2. Say bad things about their companies and products, preferably with >> lots of google-searchable keywords. >> >> John > >Was this really necessary? > >If there were technical webcasts from any of the big vendors, I'd like >to know about them though preferably more than 8 minutes beforehand. >If the posts of this nature got to be more than a couple a month from >any one source I'd agree with the spam catagorization but it isn't >that frequent. > >I'm disappointed that you had problems with them in the past and won't >trust them for future designs because of your history; competition is >almost always good. But is it reason to be publicly vocal? > >Kill-lists are easy to manage if bart's messages offend you. > >- John_H
If we don't discourage commercial posts, newsgroups will be flooded with them. I can't kill-file the tens of thousands of companies who would spam newsgroups if they thought it would pay off. So let's make sure it *doesn't* pay off. If they want to advertise, let them pay for it somewhere else. John
On Thu, 08 May 2008 07:37:44 +1200, Jim Granville
<no.spam@designtools.maps.co.nz> wrote:

>John Larkin wrote: > >> On Wed, 7 May 2008 10:52:01 -0700 (PDT), bart >> <bart.borosky@latticesemi.com> wrote: >> >> >>>Lattice is holding a webcast today, Wednesday, May 7th, on our latest >>>version of our FPGA software design tools "ispLEVER 7.1 FPGA Design >>>Tool Technical Rollout." The presenter will be Troy Scott, from our >>>software marketing group. >>> >>>If you're interested, the event takes place live at 11am Pacific, >>>18:00 GMT. In addition, you will be able to view this webcast archive >>>on-demand, at your convenience, starting a few hours after the live >>>event takes place. >>> >>>You can register by clicking: >>>http://www.latticesemi.com/corporate/webcasts/isplever7.1fpgadesigntool.cfm >>> >>>Bart Borosky, Lattice >> >> >> >> >> To Lattice: >> >> We dumped Lattice over buggy compilers and dinky performance. Now that >> you're spamming our group, I'll make the ban permanent. > >General Comment: >I've not found complex Sw yet that does not have some bugs/blindspots. >I've also improved (pretty much) all the engineering SW I use, by >giving usable errata reports to the supplier(s). > >'dinky' I have no idea about, does not sound like an engineering term ? > >Do all your design decisions have the same carefull reasoning basis ? > >What Bart could do is include a link to the Tools Revision History, >so potential (and past) users can see what has been changed. > >-jg > >
What Bart could do is advertise in advertising venues. Usenet ain't one. John
On Thu, 08 May 2008 07:37:44 +1200, Jim Granville wrote:

> Do all your design decisions have the same carefull reasoning basis ?
Does all your writing show the same careful editing? >:-> Cheers! Rich
"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 May 2008 12:19:40 -0700 (PDT), John_H > <newsgroup@johnhandwork.com> wrote: > >>John Larkin wrote: >>> >>> To Lattice: >>> >>> We dumped Lattice over buggy compilers and dinky performance. Now that >>> you're spamming our group, I'll make the ban permanent. >>> >>> >>> To the group: >>> >>> Whenever anybody spams us, please >>> >>> 1. Blackball them as a vendor >>> >>> 2. Say bad things about their companies and products, preferably with >>> lots of google-searchable keywords. >>> >>> John >> >>Was this really necessary? >> >>If there were technical webcasts from any of the big vendors, I'd like >>to know about them though preferably more than 8 minutes beforehand. >>If the posts of this nature got to be more than a couple a month from >>any one source I'd agree with the spam catagorization but it isn't >>that frequent. >> >>I'm disappointed that you had problems with them in the past and won't >>trust them for future designs because of your history; competition is >>almost always good. But is it reason to be publicly vocal? >> >>Kill-lists are easy to manage if bart's messages offend you. >> >>- John_H > > > If we don't discourage commercial posts, newsgroups will be flooded > with them. I can't kill-file the tens of thousands of companies who > would spam newsgroups if they thought it would pay off. So let's make > sure it *doesn't* pay off. > > If they want to advertise, let them pay for it somewhere else. > > > John >
For what it's worth, I agree with John. It's a real shame that we, now, have to go out of our way to filter commercial and sexual posts. There are proper places for both of those. Usenet is not one of them, in my opinion. Bob -- == NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to uncontrolled SPAM ==
On Wed, 07 May 2008 17:35:23 -0400, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>John Larkin wrote: >> bart <bart.borosky@latticesemi.com> wrote: >> >>> Lattice is holding a webcast today, Wednesday, May 7th, on our >>> latest version of our FPGA software design tools "ispLEVER 7.1 >>> FPGA Design Tool Technical Rollout." The presenter will be Troy >>> Scott, from our software marketing group. >>> >>> If you're interested, the event takes place live at 11am Pacific, >>> 18:00 GMT. In addition, you will be able to view this webcast >>> archive on-demand, at your convenience, starting a few hours >>> after the live event takes place. >>> >>> You can register by clicking: >>> http://www.latticesemi.com/corporate/webcasts/isplever7.1fpgadesigntool.cfm >> >> We dumped Lattice over buggy compilers and dinky performance. >> Now that you're spamming our group, I'll make the ban permanent. > >You're wrong. Proper announcements are quite topical. The quality >may be questionable, and that is also suitable for discussion. Of >course, making the announcement less than one hour before the event >begins is indicative of poor thinking. Even 24 hours notice would >be cutting it close.
Since s.e.d. is unmoderated, there is no real right or wrong. We each get one vote. I intend to say bad things about companies that spam the group, and not buy their junk, and I hope that others will act similarly. You do whatever pleases you. I believe the charter, which has no force, does recommend against commercial posts. John

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference