Forums

Loading TMS470R1B1M with IAR Workbench through JTAG

Started by Unknown May 21, 2008
I am new to programming microcontrollers and have a question about an
error I get loading my software.  When I download, the workbench debug
log tells me that there are warnings but that it downloaded.  However,
when I look at the warnings, it looks like it has trouble reading
every address that is created in the linked file.  It will give
messages like, "target byte: 0x00, byte in file: 0x48".  Does anybody
know what could be causing this?  I have heard that maybe I need to
invoke a macro to set up my registers for the TMS470 first, but I am
not sure why I would have to do this if all of my source code invokes
the proper addresses, according to TIs documentation.

Thanks,
Rudy
On May 21, 2:41=A0pm, pina...@gmail.com wrote:

> log tells me that there are warnings but that it downloaded. =A0However, > when I look at the warnings, it looks like it has trouble reading > every address that is created in the linked file. =A0It will give > messages like, "target byte: 0x00, byte in file: 0x48". =A0Does anybody
It sounds like it is not programming the part at all, and reading back zeros at every byte when it tries to verify.
On May 21, 2:43 pm, larwe <zwsdot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 2:41 pm, pina...@gmail.com wrote: > > > log tells me that there are warnings but that it downloaded. However, > > when I look at the warnings, it looks like it has trouble reading > > every address that is created in the linked file. It will give > > messages like, "target byte: 0x00, byte in file: 0x48". Does anybody > > It sounds like it is not programming the part at all, and reading back > zeros at every byte when it tries to verify.
Well, that's what I thought also, and maybe that's what it is doing, however, if I go down the list of errors, I can see that not all the target bytes are set to 0x00, some are 0x20, 0x27 and others. Regards, Rudy
On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:53:16 -0700 (PDT), pinalri@gmail.com wrote:

>On May 21, 2:43 pm, larwe <zwsdot...@gmail.com> wrote: >> On May 21, 2:41 pm, pina...@gmail.com wrote: >> >> > log tells me that there are warnings but that it downloaded. However, >> > when I look at the warnings, it looks like it has trouble reading >> > every address that is created in the linked file. It will give >> > messages like, "target byte: 0x00, byte in file: 0x48". Does anybody >> >> It sounds like it is not programming the part at all, and reading back >> zeros at every byte when it tries to verify. > >Well, that's what I thought also, and maybe that's what it is doing, >however, if I go down the list of errors, I can see that not all the >target bytes are set to 0x00, some are 0x20, 0x27 and others. > >Regards, >Rudy
Perhaps the problem is code protection related? Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On May 21, 3:05 pm, Spehro Pefhany <speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat>
wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:53:16 -0700 (PDT), pina...@gmail.com wrote: > >On May 21, 2:43 pm, larwe <zwsdot...@gmail.com> wrote: > >> On May 21, 2:41 pm, pina...@gmail.com wrote: > > >> > log tells me that there are warnings but that it downloaded. However, > >> > when I look at the warnings, it looks like it has trouble reading > >> > every address that is created in the linked file. It will give > >> > messages like, "target byte: 0x00, byte in file: 0x48". Does anybody > > >> It sounds like it is not programming the part at all, and reading back > >> zeros at every byte when it tries to verify. > > >Well, that's what I thought also, and maybe that's what it is doing, > >however, if I go down the list of errors, I can see that not all the > >target bytes are set to 0x00, some are 0x20, 0x27 and others. > > >Regards, > >Rudy > > Perhaps the problem is code protection related? > Best regards, > Spehro Pefhany > -- > "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" > sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:http://www.trexon.com > Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
All, Thank you for your help. I figured out that I was doing something silly and hopefully I do not do it as I get more experience. What I ended up doing was adding a macro file to the download that actually set up the registers in the TMS470. This cleared my problems and I no longer get warnings when downloading. The next step is to test it to see if it works as designed... Regards, Rudy
pinalri@gmail.com wrote:

> I am new to programming microcontrollers and have a question about an > error I get loading my software. When I download, the workbench debug > log tells me that there are warnings but that it downloaded. However, > when I look at the warnings, it looks like it has trouble reading > every address that is created in the linked file. It will give > messages like, "target byte: 0x00, byte in file: 0x48". Does anybody > know what could be causing this? I have heard that maybe I need to > invoke a macro to set up my registers for the TMS470 first, but I am > not sure why I would have to do this if all of my source code invokes > the proper addresses, according to TIs documentation.
I had some time ago a similiar problem with MPLAB IDE: If you program a flash with earlier versions of MPLAB IDE, you had to erase the flash manually, first. Erased flash locations read as 0xff and can be programmed to anything. A flash location which is already programmed to 0x00 can't be programmed to 0x48, so the error message would be the same. PS: Later versions of MPLAB IDE does a erase flash command automaticly before programming. -- Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de http://www.frank-buss.de, http://www.it4-systems.de