Low Cost arm chips to offload TCP/IP stacks

Started by Unknown June 1, 2008
Hi All,

I am considering an application with Spartan-3 FPGAs.  I need to run
TCP/IP and a few other networking applications along with other user
logic.  The trade-off that I am considering is -

Microblaze inside the FPGA costs about 2000LCs.  I am considering I
may be able to a lot more with those 2000LCs if I put an external ARM
processor instead.  I am wondering if there exists a no-frills ARM
chip out there that would cost me a buck or two, then I may be able to
get more out of those 2000LCs.  Is there a chip out there?

TIA
Sanjay
On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:23:16 -0700 (PDT), parekh.sh@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi All, > >I am considering an application with Spartan-3 FPGAs. I need to run >TCP/IP and a few other networking applications along with other user >logic. The trade-off that I am considering is - > >Microblaze inside the FPGA costs about 2000LCs. I am considering I >may be able to a lot more with those 2000LCs if I put an external ARM >processor instead. I am wondering if there exists a no-frills ARM >chip out there that would cost me a buck or two, then I may be able to >get more out of those 2000LCs. Is there a chip out there? > >TIA >Sanjay
NXP LPC210x series are very cheap - ought to be able to do TCP/IP etc.
<parekh.sh@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All, > > I am considering an application with Spartan-3 FPGAs. I need to run > TCP/IP and a few other networking applications along with other user > logic. The trade-off that I am considering is - > > Microblaze inside the FPGA costs about 2000LCs. I am considering I > may be able to a lot more with those 2000LCs if I put an external ARM > processor instead. I am wondering if there exists a no-frills ARM > chip out there that would cost me a buck or two, then I may be able to > get more out of those 2000LCs. Is there a chip out there? > > TIA > Sanjay
Something like: SAM7X (integrated MAC) LM3S6965 (integrated MAC and PHY) LPC2368 (integrated MAC) etc. ...but if all you want is TCP/IP then there are probably lower cost solutions outside of ARM, like Cygnal, Zilog, Microchip etc. that come with examples. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop 17 official architecture ports, more than 5000 downloads per month. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
If you want a prepackaged hardware+software solution -- just needs magnetics on one side, provides a "socket" interface on the other (parallel or SPI) -- check out the WIZnet products: http://www.wiznet.co.kr/ Not the cheapest solution out there, but could really save you a lot of development time. -- Dave Tweed
On Jun 1, 2:58 am, Mike Harrison <m...@whitewing.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:23:16 -0700 (PDT), parekh...@gmail.com wrote: > >Hi All, > > >I am considering an application with Spartan-3 FPGAs. I need to run > >TCP/IP and a few other networking applications along with other user > >logic. The trade-off that I am considering is - > > >Microblaze inside the FPGA costs about 2000LCs. I am considering I > >may be able to a lot more with those 2000LCs if I put an external ARM > >processor instead. I am wondering if there exists a no-frills ARM > >chip out there that would cost me a buck or two, then I may be able to > >get more out of those 2000LCs. Is there a chip out there? > > >TIA > >Sanjay > > NXP LPC210x series are very cheap - ought to be able to do TCP/IP etc.
Thanks. I see on their block diagram that the AHB does not get driven out. Instead, the VPB what seems like a peripheral bus. I wonder what kind of performance I can get from this bus. -sanjay

We have run our Powernet stack http://www.mpeforth.com/powernet.htm on both LPC2106 and LPC2148 with external Ethernet controllers from ASIX and RealTek. The performance was surprisingly good providing that you code the GPIO interface *very* carefully. The LPC2xxx parts with the fast GPIO (FIO) do better. Stephen -- Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time 133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web: http://www.mpeforth.com - free VFX Forth downloads
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:47:58 -0700 (PDT), parekh.sh@gmail.com wrote:

>On Jun 1, 2:58 am, Mike Harrison <m...@whitewing.co.uk> wrote: >> On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:23:16 -0700 (PDT), parekh...@gmail.com wrote: >> >Hi All, >> >> >I am considering an application with Spartan-3 FPGAs. I need to run >> >TCP/IP and a few other networking applications along with other user >> >logic. The trade-off that I am considering is - >> >> >Microblaze inside the FPGA costs about 2000LCs. I am considering I >> >may be able to a lot more with those 2000LCs if I put an external ARM >> >processor instead. I am wondering if there exists a no-frills ARM >> >chip out there that would cost me a buck or two, then I may be able to >> >get more out of those 2000LCs. Is there a chip out there? >> >> >TIA >> >Sanjay >> >> NXP LPC210x series are very cheap - ought to be able to do TCP/IP etc. > >Thanks. I see on their block diagram that the AHB does not get driven >out. Instead, the VPB what seems like a peripheral bus. I wonder >what kind of performance I can get from this bus. >-sanjay
For highest speed, a FIQ driven parallel interface using FIO can give a pretty decent throughput -From memory, when I interfaced a lo-res CMOS camera sensor, you can get something like 4Mbytes/sec throughput. The only issue is whether you can get enough contiguous parallel I/O bits across the bus without hitting a peripheral pin function you need to use. Losing pins to JTAG is also a potential problem on the smaller parts, but you can always use a bigger part for development - LPC213x is a good step-up from LPC2101/2/3 as the peripherals are pretty close to identical but JTAG is well clear of them.
> > > NXP LPC210x series are very cheap - ought to be able to do TCP/IP etc. > > Thanks. I see on their block diagram that the AHB does not get driven > out. Instead, the VPB what seems like a peripheral bus. I wonder > what kind of performance I can get from this bus. > -sanjay
Hi Sanjay, take a look at the LPC2220, this one has the AHB available, it also offers 64k SRAM, which is probably enough to execute a TCP/IP stack at full speed. It is also low cost, although not as low as the LPC2101/2/3, which might not provide enough memory for a TCP/IP to begin with. Bob