Recommend a development board please?

Started by Lee August 12, 2004
Dear all,

I'd like to learn embedded system development for wireless multimedia
application. What development board is better? I am a student and need
cheap and easy to use one.

Thanks,
> I'd like to learn embedded system development for wireless multimedia > application. What development board is better? I am a student and need
A laptop or PDA. Nothing else will be in your budget. -- -- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (http://www.zws.com/) Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20
Can you talk about it in details?

Thanks

Lewin Edwards <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message news:<WVRSc.14486$nx2.4415@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> > I'd like to learn embedded system development for wireless multimedia > > application. What development board is better? I am a student and need > > A laptop or PDA. Nothing else will be in your budget.
> Lewin Edwards <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message > news:<WVRSc.14486$nx2.4415@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>... > > > I'd like to learn embedded system development for wireless multimedia > > > application. What development board is better? I am a student and need > > > > A laptop or PDA. Nothing else will be in your budget.
Lee irritatingly top-posted:
> Can you talk about it in details?
Sure. Here are the details: 1. EVBs for the processors and LCDs and WLAN chips are very expensive. It's quite possible you could spend tens of thousands of dollars. Certainly $6,000 is a good starting budget. 2. Information specific to one evaluation kit is often totally irrelevant to a different kit. 3. Consumer equipment is cheap and standardized. Ergo, the only options you should consider are consumer-priced articles, which basically narrows it down to laptops or PDAs. -- -- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (http://www.zws.com/) Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20
Hi,

How can I learn embedded system design by using Laptop or PDA only?Can
you give me some hints?

Thanks,

BTW, I plan to order the book writen by you. Is it helpful for a
newbie?
Hi,

> How can I learn embedded system design by using Laptop or PDA only?Can > you give me some hints? > BTW, I plan to order the book writen by you. Is it helpful for a > newbie?
My book _might_ be helpful but for your particular case I think your goals are too fuzzy for me to recommend it. If you want to learn the hardware design of "wireless multimedia applications", then this is really outside a student budget. The algorithms can, however, easily be tested using a laptop or PDA running Linux. I can't give you a simple one-paragraph on-ramp because it's not possible. You need to quantify your goals and then decide what skills you'll need in order to meet those goals. -- -- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (http://www.zws.com/) Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference