Compiling code

Started by Mike Burch August 30, 2008
Hello fella's

I know I am completely out of my league with this question but
I have to ask anyway.  Be gentle. :-)

I have built this clock because it is really cool! and it is completed
up to the point of programming it. It uses 3 pic18f252 micro controllers.
1 controller is a master and 2 respond as slaves.  I don't know how to
do this.  I think it would be like flash programming a bios which I have
done twice.  This source code needs to be compiled into what I think is
hex and then sent into the micro controller.  So is
there anyone who does this as a side business?  That is compile for a fee?
I know I sound like a jerk. :-) But I want to have a success before
committing more money to the project.
It is a large blue led clock with gps sync.

Here is the link:
http://www.kd7lmo.net/ground_led_clock_code.html

Anyone do this?

Thank you

Mike   Apache Junction, AZ

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 04:02:39 +0000, Mike Burch wrote:

> Hello fella's > > I know I am completely out of my league with this question but I have to > ask anyway. Be gentle. :-) > > I have built this clock because it is really cool! and it is completed > up to the point of programming it. It uses 3 pic18f252 micro > controllers. 1 controller is a master and 2 respond as slaves. I don't > know how to do this. I think it would be like flash programming a bios > which I have done twice. This source code needs to be compiled into > what I think is hex and then sent into the micro controller. So is > there anyone who does this as a side business? That is compile for a > fee? I know I sound like a jerk. :-) But I want to have a success before > committing more money to the project. It is a large blue led clock with > gps sync. > > Here is the link: > http://www.kd7lmo.net/ground_led_clock_code.html > > Anyone do this? > > Thank you > > Mike Apache Junction, AZ
Oi. Write the guy, see if he'll send you hex files. It's a mystery to me why he hasn't included them. You have miles better chances of success if you have known good hex files than if you just have a code base that you need to build. You used to be able to make a really cheap PIC programmer that would run off of a PC parallel port, but parallel ports (and Windows) aren't what they used to be. Microchip has some inexpensive eval boards that'll let you program a chip and test it on the board, then plug it into your project & give it a whirl.
The schematic shows a programmer port on there, so you might not need
an eval board to do the programming...may just be able to plug the
cable in and program the code right into it...PIC should have a lot of
different tools you can download for compiling and programming it
yourself...I would look for a PIC developers site that is for
beginners which should exists somewhere I'm guessing given the
popularity of PICs.  With the right compiler (which I'm guessing there
is a free version of) and programmer (also should be a free one), you
could do it yourself without much trouble I have to believe.  I only
know AVR's which is basically the equivalent, and it has all the above
mentioned tools for free.  And there is a lot of support on
avrfreaks.com specifically for that, so I gotta believe someone could
help you do this easily from a PIC equivalent site.

andersod2 wrote:
> The schematic shows a programmer port on there, so you might not need > an eval board to do the programming...may just be able to plug the > cable in and program the code right into it...PIC should have a lot of > different tools you can download for compiling and programming it > yourself...I would look for a PIC developers site that is for > beginners which should exists somewhere I'm guessing given the > popularity of PICs. With the right compiler (which I'm guessing there > is a free version of) and programmer (also should be a free one), you > could do it yourself without much trouble I have to believe. I only > know AVR's which is basically the equivalent, and it has all the above > mentioned tools for free. And there is a lot of support on > avrfreaks.com specifically for that, so I gotta believe someone could > help you do this easily from a PIC equivalent site. >
The cheapest way to get a PIC programmer is to get one of the paraller-port ones -- but that requires a compatible parallel port. Eval boards have programmers built in, which is what motivated that suggestion. The ones you get from Microchip are very very nice, and cost lots of $$. There's gotta be a usable, cheap USB/PIC programmer out there, though. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
"Tim Wescott" <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote in message
> andersod2 wrote: >> The schematic shows a programmer port on there, so you might not need >> an eval board to do the programming...may just be able to plug the >> cable in and program the code right into it...PIC should have a lot of >> different tools you can download for compiling and programming it >> yourself...I would look for a PIC developers site that is for >> beginners which should exists somewhere I'm guessing given the >> popularity of PICs. With the right compiler (which I'm guessing there >> is a free version of) and programmer (also should be a free one), you >> could do it yourself without much trouble I have to believe. I only >> know AVR's which is basically the equivalent, and it has all the above >> mentioned tools for free. And there is a lot of support on >> avrfreaks.com specifically for that, so I gotta believe someone could >> help you do this easily from a PIC equivalent site. >> > The cheapest way to get a PIC programmer is to get one of the > paraller-port ones -- but that requires a compatible parallel port. > > Eval boards have programmers built in, which is what motivated that > suggestion. The ones you get from Microchip are very very nice, and cost > lots of $$. > > There's gotta be a usable, cheap USB/PIC programmer out there, though.
Its called the ICD2. Can debug or program PICs.

may be something here to suit you: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olimex.html Cheers Don... -- Don McKenzie Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/email USB to 4 Relays. Many other modules available. http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html http://tinyurl.com/6fbo42

www.sparkfun.com is a good source for both cheap programmers and cheap eval boards/kits. -- Grant
Eh. Those are cheaper than I thought. Still not hobbyist cheap, but pretty darn close. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
Check out www.microchip.com and look at the PicKit II. I think it is about $35 USD. USB pic programmer for almost the entire range of pics. You can get MPLAB there as well which is the programming IDE. Regards, Steve
Stephen D. Barnes wrote:
> Tim Wescott wrote: >> RumpelStiltSkin wrote: >>> >>> "Tim Wescott" <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote in message >>> news:S5mdnS-nkLjEPyTVnZ2dnUVZ_oLinZ2d@web-ster.com... >>>> andersod2 wrote: >>>>> The schematic shows a programmer port on there, so you might not need >>>>> an eval board to do the programming...may just be able to plug the >>>>> cable in and program the code right into it...PIC should have a lot of >>>>> different tools you can download for compiling and programming it >>>>> yourself...I would look for a PIC developers site that is for >>>>> beginners which should exists somewhere I'm guessing given the >>>>> popularity of PICs. With the right compiler (which I'm guessing there >>>>> is a free version of) and programmer (also should be a free one), you >>>>> could do it yourself without much trouble I have to believe. I only >>>>> know AVR's which is basically the equivalent, and it has all the above >>>>> mentioned tools for free. And there is a lot of support on >>>>> avrfreaks.com specifically for that, so I gotta believe someone could >>>>> help you do this easily from a PIC equivalent site. >>>>> >>>> The cheapest way to get a PIC programmer is to get one of the >>>> paraller-port ones -- but that requires a compatible parallel port. >>>> >>>> Eval boards have programmers built in, which is what motivated that >>>> suggestion. The ones you get from Microchip are very very nice, and >>>> cost lots of $$. >>>> >>>> There's gotta be a usable, cheap USB/PIC programmer out there, though. >>> >>> Its called the ICD2. Can debug or program PICs. >>> >> Eh. Those are cheaper than I thought. Still not hobbyist cheap, but >> pretty darn close. >> > Check out www.microchip.com and look at the PicKit II. I think it is > about $35 USD. USB pic programmer for almost the entire range of pics. > You can get MPLAB there as well which is the programming IDE. > > Regards, > Steve
The PicKit was what I was thinking of for the OP. Unfortunately that doesn't get him compiled code to load; the Microchip compiler is very nice but it defines hardware accesses differently than the CCS compiler does so it'll choke on code written for that compiler. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html