Source Control - Again

Started by Not Really Me September 22, 2008
Michael Chapman wrote:
[snip]
> find . -name .svn -exec rm -rf \{\} \;
Or another approach: find . -name .svn | xargs rm -rf -Rich
Michael Chapman wrote:
> What you need is:- > > find . -name .svn -exec rm -rf \{\} \;
I would strongly suggest adding a '-type d' in there, just to be on the safe side of things. And I'm pretty sure "not really" should have a good look at tools designed to help integrate SVN into Eclipse, e.g. Subclipse.
"Hans-Bernhard Br&#4294967295;ker" <HBBroeker@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Michael Chapman wrote: >> What you need is:- >> >> find . -name .svn -exec rm -rf \{\} \; > > I would strongly suggest adding a '-type d' in there, just to be on the > safe side of things. > > And I'm pretty sure "not really" should have a good look at tools designed > to help integrate SVN into Eclipse, e.g. Subclipse.
Thanks to all. I did find the find... script. That is how we finally cleaned things up. I have heard of Subclipse, but as you can tell, haven't used it yet. That might be next weeks chore. Thanks, Scott
In article <48dbe791$0$875$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>,
Michael Chapman  <michael.chapman@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>Not Really Me wrote: >> ..... >> Deleting .svn files is not the simplest of tasks >> though. I found some useful scripts to help with the task, but even that >> took a while when cleaning the workspace .metadata folder. >> > >What you need is:- > >find . -name .svn -exec rm -rf \{\} \;
This is a fundamentally wrong approach. Let the source control system keep track of metadata. Do not manually add, destroy or change them. This is the kind of stuff that may change without notice! (And rightly so.) If you export files, the result should be like if you typed in the files afresh. They should go into a vcs smoothly, and by definition cannot be different from as if you typed the files afresh. If exporting doesn't work this way, you should consider switching to a decent vcs. Groetjes Albert -- -- Albert van der Horst, UTRECHT,THE NETHERLANDS Economic growth -- like all pyramid schemes -- ultimately falters. albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst
On Sep 26, 11:11 am, "Not Really Me"
<sc...@validatedQWERTYsoftware.XYZZY.com> wrote:
> "Hans-Bernhard Br=F6ker" <HBBroe...@t-online.de> wrote in message > > news:gbgu53$k5a$03$1@news.t-online.com... > > > Michael Chapman wrote: > >> What you need is:- > > >> find . -name .svn -exec rm -rf \{\} \; > > > I would strongly suggest adding a '-type d' in there, just to be on the > > safe side of things. > > > And I'm pretty sure "not really" should have a good look at tools desig=
ned
> > to help integrate SVN into Eclipse, e.g. Subclipse. > > Thanks to all. I did find the find... script. That is how we finally > cleaned things up. > > I have heard of Subclipse, but as you can tell, haven't used it yet. Tha=
> might be next weeks chore.
If you're using Eclipse and Subversion, you need to be using Subclipse. I have considerable experience with this combination with non-trivial repositories and distributed teams, and it works very smoothly (even in 3.2).
> > Thanks, > Scott

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference