Forums

68HC11F1 being discontinued

Started by Jim Dodd February 22, 2006
We've received word that the 'F1 is being discontinued. The larger
68-pin PLCC package is going end-of-life in June (of THIS year, thanks
for all the warning, Freescale) and the smaller 80-pin LQFP package is
going end-of-life in June 2007 (that's a bit better warning).

The key aspects we needed from the 'F1 was its ability for external
addressing and the non-multiplexed address/data bus. We also need at
least 512 bytes of RAM (the 'F1 has 1024 bytes) and 512 bytes of
EEPROM. It looks to me like we might be able to use the 68HC11K1 (or a
'K4 with the ROMON bit clear in the CONFIG byte - is that correct?).
Or possibly, if we can add a couple of parts to our already crowded
board to demultiplex the address/data bus, the 68HC11E1 (no ROM).

I've looked over the Freescale website and it looks like you can't
order the K1 anymore. Is that correct? Is anyone still using either of
these parts? Have you gotten notices about their being discontinued?

Thanks for any information you can provide. We're looking at designing
a new board around the newer MC9S12 series but need to patch things in
our 'HC11 boards until the new boards are ready.

Regards,
Jim Dodd
Onset Computer Corp.
	
Jim Dodd wrote:
> We've received word that the 'F1 is being
discontinued. The larger
> 68-pin PLCC package is going end-of-life in June (of THIS year, thanks
> for all the warning, Freescale) and the smaller 80-pin LQFP package is
> going end-of-life in June 2007 (that's a bit better warning).
> 
> The key aspects we needed from the 'F1 was its ability for external
> addressing and the non-multiplexed address/data bus. We also need at
> least 512 bytes of RAM (the 'F1 has 1024 bytes) and 512 bytes of
> EEPROM. It looks to me like we might be able to use the 68HC11K1 (or a

The E-series parts have the RAM and EEPROM you need, but not the
external address decode output and not the non-mux address bus.

I know of no part which can be used to replace the F series reasonably.

Mike
-- 
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
This message made from 100% recycled bits.
You have found the bank of Larn.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jim Dodd" <bcbuilderboy@bcbu...>
To: <m68HC11@m68H...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 3:34 PM
Subject: [m68HC11] 68HC11F1 being discontinued
	> We've received word that the 'F1 is being discontinued. The larger
> 68-pin PLCC package is going end-of-life in June
(of THIS year, thanks
> for all the warning, Freescale) and the smaller 80-pin LQFP package is
> going end-of-life in June 2007 (that's a bit better warning).
> 
> Regards,
> Jim Dodd
> Onset Computer Corp.

Are you sure this is for all 'F1s and not just the non-ROHS parts?

Mike
	
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jim Dodd" <bcbuilderboy@bcbu...>
To: <m68HC11@m68H...>
	> We've received word that the 'F1 is being discontinued. The larger
> 68-pin PLCC package is going end-of-life in June
(of THIS year, thanks
> for all the warning, Freescale) and the smaller 80-pin LQFP package is
> going end-of-life in June 2007 (that's a bit better warning).

On their site, it's listed as available for purchasing without any
'discontinued' comment.  It simply says it's not recommended for new
designs.  They only have RoHS parts with a different part number than the
older ones.  So, maybe there is some confusion about this.  For example,
instead of the familiar MC68HC11F1CFN4 they now have it coded as
MCHC11F1CFNE4 (with an extra E for RoHS and no 68 between MC and HC.)

See bottom of this page:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?codehHC11F1&nodeId624684498635

Yet, in their latest SG1006 document (downloaded today), no HC11 parts are
listed, at all!  Once again, Freescale is toying with us!

> Jim Dodd

tonyp@tony...
	

--- Michael Huslig <mhuslig@mhus...> wrote:
> 
> Are you sure this is for all 'F1s and not just the non-ROHS parts?
> 
> Mike
> 
> 

--- Tony Papadimitriou <tonyp@tony...> wrote:
> On their site, it's listed as available for
purchasing without any
> 'discontinued' comment.  It simply says it's not recommended for new
> designs.  They only have RoHS parts with a different part number than the
> older ones.  So, maybe there is some confusion about this.  For example,
> instead of the familiar MC68HC11F1CFN4 they now have it coded as
> MCHC11F1CFNE4 (with an extra E for RoHS and no 68 between MC and HC.)
> 
> See bottom of this page:
>
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?codehHC11F1&nodeId624684498635
> 
> Yet, in their latest SG1006 document (downloaded today), no HC11 parts are
> listed, at all!  Once again, Freescale is toying with us!

Thank you for the replies. I really hope you guys are right! I hadn't thought
of this. We got the notice from our supplier but it looked like one of those
automated things and, perhaps, their program noticed that the specific part
number was no longer available when it was just that the part number changed
(for RoHS?)

I will look into this deeper now. Thank you for giving me hope (at least 
temporarily :-) I'll let you know what I find.

Regard,
Jim Dodd
Onset Computer Corp.
	__________________________________________________