Forums

Problems with olimex (wiggler) jtag and olimex lpc2129 proto board

Started by compuguru64 November 22, 2005
Newb - I can't seem to get my wiggler compatible to talk to my olimex
proto board. I've tried it on 2 laptops, 800 mhz and 2.8 ghz machines,
various parallel port speed settings. I'm using OCD Commander and
always get an Internal Error 43 message, then "Error Response from
INITIALIZE: 0x03 initialize_target : cable disconnected (10 : 03)"
I'm using OCD Commander 2.4.1 that comes with IAR jumpstart compiler.

I've followed posts warning about system speed, about making sure pins
8 and 15 are shorted on the wiggler, about making sure the debug jumper
is installed, about making sure the parallel port is not set to ECP -
all verified yet nothing seems to work. Shouldn't I at least be able
to start OCD Commander with no warning messages and use it to reset the
board even if the default flash-based program it was shipped with is
still on it? The default program appears to work just fine when the
JTAG cable is disconnected.



An Engineer's Guide to the LPC2100 Series

Are you debugging out of RAM or from Flash?

If RAM, under options/debugger do you have a macro file defined?

You might also try:
Enable Hardware reset under Macraigor, define time to 0.

Joel

> Newb - I can't seem to get my wiggler compatible to talk to my olimex
> proto board. I've tried it on 2 laptops, 800 mhz and 2.8 ghz machines,
> various parallel port speed settings. I'm using OCD Commander and
> always get an Internal Error 43 message, then "Error Response from
> INITIALIZE: 0x03 initialize_target : cable disconnected (10 : 03)"
> I'm using OCD Commander 2.4.1 that comes with IAR jumpstart compiler.
>
> I've followed posts warning about system speed, about making sure pins
> 8 and 15 are shorted on the wiggler, about making sure the debug jumper
> is installed, about making sure the parallel port is not set to ECP -
> all verified yet nothing seems to work. Shouldn't I at least be able
> to start OCD Commander with no warning messages and use it to reset the
> board even if the default flash-based program it was shipped with is
> still on it? The default program appears to work just fine when the
> JTAG cable is disconnected.


I understand that the wiggler will only let you debug in RAM, and in IAR
linker options I do have the RAM xcl file selected. In debugger options
I don't have any startup macro file defined - I'm not sure what I should
be using. I did enable hardware reset like you recommended, but that
didn't work either.

Since I'm new to the IAR environment too, I thought I would simplify by
just using OCD Commander directly. I'd like to know of something that
should always work in OCD Commander regardless of what is in RAM or in
Flash on the board - so I can eliminate the olimex jtag as the problem.
I had assumed that performing a RESET from OCD Commander should always
work - but that's just a guess.

Karim

-----Original Message-----
From: lpc2000@lpc2... [mailto:lpc2000@lpc2...]On Behalf
Of Joel Winarske
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 11:05 PM
To: lpc2000@lpc2...
Subject: RE: [lpc2000] Problems with olimex (wiggler) jtag and olimex
lpc2129 proto board Are you debugging out of RAM or from Flash?

If RAM, under options/debugger do you have a macro file defined?

You might also try:
Enable Hardware reset under Macraigor, define time to 0.

Joel

> Newb - I can't seem to get my wiggler compatible to talk to my olimex
> proto board. I've tried it on 2 laptops, 800 mhz and 2.8 ghz
machines,
> various parallel port speed settings. I'm using OCD Commander and
> always get an Internal Error 43 message, then "Error Response from
> INITIALIZE: 0x03 initialize_target : cable disconnected (10 : 03)"
> I'm using OCD Commander 2.4.1 that comes with IAR jumpstart compiler.
>
> I've followed posts warning about system speed, about making sure pins
> 8 and 15 are shorted on the wiggler, about making sure the debug
jumper
> is installed, about making sure the parallel port is not set to ECP -
> all verified yet nothing seems to work. Shouldn't I at least be able
> to start OCD Commander with no warning messages and use it to reset
the
> board even if the default flash-based program it was shipped with is
> still on it? The default program appears to work just fine when the
> JTAG cable is disconnected.
Yahoo! Groups Links



There is reasonable doubt that OCD commander works at all on more
sophisticated Windows versions.
The wiggler hardware itself works perfectly when used with Rowley
Crossworks, but OCD commander just doesn't work.
And that happens also with an original "Wiggler" made by Macraigor.

Apparentyl you'll have either to
- replace OCD commander by something better (Rowley Crossworks)
- use a braindead Windows version like Windows 95 or one of it's
re-brews (98 & Me). ___________________________________________________________
Gesendet von



Oh man! I swear I saw references to OCD Commander working on Win2K and XP, maybe in Jim Lynch's eclipse tutorial? I thought it was just a system speed issue. I wanted to follow the Olimex recommendation for Rowley, but this is a hobby for me and Rowley isn't wife-friendly expense-wise. I'll see if I can dig up a really old system from somewhere. I hope Olimex comes up with the rumored affordable usb-jtag soon.

Karim

-----Original Message-----
From: lpc2000@lpc2... [mailto:lpc2000@lpc2...]On Behalf
Of haare_in_der_dusche
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 10:09 AM
To: lpc2000@lpc2...
Subject: Re: [lpc2000] Problems with olimex (wiggler) jtag and olimex
lpc2129 proto board There is reasonable doubt that OCD commander works at all on more
sophisticated Windows versions.
The wiggler hardware itself works perfectly when used with Rowley
Crossworks, but OCD commander just doesn't work.
And that happens also with an original "Wiggler" made by Macraigor.

Apparentyl you'll have either to
- replace OCD commander by something better (Rowley Crossworks)
- use a braindead Windows version like Windows 95 or one of it's
re-brews (98 & Me). ___________________________________________________________
Gesendet von

Yahoo! Groups Links


> Oh man! I swear I saw references to OCD Commander working on Win2K and
XP, maybe in Jim Lynch's eclipse tutorial? I thought it was just a system
speed issue. I wanted to follow the Olimex recommendation for Rowley, but
this is a hobby for me and Rowley isn't wife-friendly expense-wise. I'll
see if I can dig up a really old system from somewhere. I hope Olimex comes
up with the rumored affordable usb-jtag soon. For what its worth - I use wiggler/olimex/OCDLibRemote on Win2k no problem.
Never tried Commander though.

Regards,
Richard. http://www.FreeRTOS.org


Eclipse -> Insight -> OCDRemote with the ARM-JTAG device from
Sparkfun does work on Windows XP, more or less. The less part is
that it only connects after pounding on it (figuratively) for a
dozen or more times. Pretty much what is explained in the tutorial.

However... What if the LPC didn't have JTAG? What would you do for
debugging? Well, just do that. I don't have enough pins to leave
spares for JTAG, the debugger doesn't work often enough to tolerate
so I just don't bother. I start by writing basic character IO
functions, add a string output function and an itoa() function and
I'm on my way.

It is certainly possible to bring up large embedded systems without
JTAG. It is probably easier with it but, sometimes, that't the way
it goes.

I am using the bootloader at 115.2K baud so programming goes pretty
quick.

Richard

--- In lpc2000@lpc2..., "FreeRTOS Info" <nospam@F...> wrote:
>
> > Oh man! I swear I saw references to OCD Commander working on
Win2K and
> XP, maybe in Jim Lynch's eclipse tutorial? I thought it was just
a system
> speed issue. I wanted to follow the Olimex recommendation for
Rowley, but
> this is a hobby for me and Rowley isn't wife-friendly expense-
wise. I'll
> see if I can dig up a really old system from somewhere. I hope
Olimex comes
> up with the rumored affordable usb-jtag soon. > For what its worth - I use wiggler/olimex/OCDLibRemote on Win2k no
problem.
> Never tried Commander though.
>
> Regards,
> Richard. > http://www.FreeRTOS.org
>


> I understand that the wiggler will only let you debug in RAM, and in IAR
> linker options I do have the RAM xcl file selected. In debugger options
> I don't have any startup macro file defined - I'm not sure what I should
> be using. I did enable hardware reset like you recommended, but that
> didn't work either.

Your IAR debug macro file must have the following in order to debug from
RAM:

execUserPreload()
{
__writeMemory32(0x00000002, 0xE01FC040, "Memory"); // MEMMAP = 2;
} Joel


Something that has helped me connect to the LPC with OCDRemote is to
put the LPC into Boot Loader mode first.

Regards
-Bill Knight
R O SoftWare &
http://www.theARMPatch.com On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:19:01 -0000, rtstofer wrote:

>Eclipse -> Insight -> OCDRemote with the ARM-JTAG device from
>Sparkfun does work on Windows XP, more or less. The less part is
>that it only connects after pounding on it (figuratively) for a
>dozen or more times. Pretty much what is explained in the tutorial.

>However... What if the LPC didn't have JTAG? What would you do for
>debugging? Well, just do that. I don't have enough pins to leave
>spares for JTAG, the debugger doesn't work often enough to tolerate
>so I just don't bother. I start by writing basic character IO
>functions, add a string output function and an itoa() function and
>I'm on my way.

>It is certainly possible to bring up large embedded systems without
>JTAG. It is probably easier with it but, sometimes, that't the way
>it goes.

>I am using the bootloader at 115.2K baud so programming goes pretty
>quick.

>Richard

>--- In lpc2000@lpc2..., "FreeRTOS Info" <nospam@F...> wrote:
>>
>> > Oh man! I swear I saw references to OCD Commander working on
>Win2K and
>> XP, maybe in Jim Lynch's eclipse tutorial? I thought it was just
>a system
>> speed issue. I wanted to follow the Olimex recommendation for
>Rowley, but
>> this is a hobby for me and Rowley isn't wife-friendly expense-
>wise. I'll
>> see if I can dig up a really old system from somewhere. I hope
>Olimex comes
>> up with the rumored affordable usb-jtag soon.
>>
>>
>> For what its worth - I use wiggler/olimex/OCDLibRemote on Win2k no
>problem.
>> Never tried Commander though.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Richard.
>>
>>
>> http://www.FreeRTOS.org
>>


>
>Yahoo! Groups Links
>


What is neeeded (hardware & software) to debug in
FLASH?

Viron. --- Karim Virani <karim@kari...> wrote:

> I understand that the wiggler will only let you
> debug in RAM, and in IAR
> linker options I do have the RAM xcl file selected.
> In debugger options
> I don't have any startup macro file defined - I'm
> not sure what I should
> be using. I did enable hardware reset like you
> recommended, but that
> didn't work either.
>
> Since I'm new to the IAR environment too, I thought
> I would simplify by
> just using OCD Commander directly. I'd like to know
> of something that
> should always work in OCD Commander regardless of
> what is in RAM or in
> Flash on the board - so I can eliminate the olimex
> jtag as the problem.
> I had assumed that performing a RESET from OCD
> Commander should always
> work - but that's just a guess.
>
> Karim
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: lpc2000@lpc2...
> [mailto:lpc2000@lpc2...]On Behalf
> Of Joel Winarske
> Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 11:05 PM
> To: lpc2000@lpc2...
> Subject: RE: [lpc2000] Problems with olimex
> (wiggler) jtag and olimex
> lpc2129 proto board > Are you debugging out of RAM or from Flash?
>
> If RAM, under options/debugger do you have a macro
> file defined?
>
> You might also try:
> Enable Hardware reset under Macraigor, define time
> to 0.
>
> Joel
>
> > Newb - I can't seem to get my wiggler compatible
> to talk to my olimex
> > proto board. I've tried it on 2 laptops, 800 mhz
> and 2.8 ghz
> machines,
> > various parallel port speed settings. I'm using
> OCD Commander and
> > always get an Internal Error 43 message, then
> "Error Response from
> > INITIALIZE: 0x03 initialize_target : cable
> disconnected (10 : 03)"
> > I'm using OCD Commander 2.4.1 that comes with IAR
> jumpstart compiler.
> >
> > I've followed posts warning about system speed,
> about making sure pins
> > 8 and 15 are shorted on the wiggler, about making
> sure the debug
> jumper
> > is installed, about making sure the parallel port
> is not set to ECP -
> > all verified yet nothing seems to work. Shouldn't
> I at least be able
> > to start OCD Commander with no warning messages
> and use it to reset
> the
> > board even if the default flash-based program it
> was shipped with is
> > still on it? The default program appears to work
> just fine when the
> > JTAG cable is disconnected. >
> Yahoo! Groups Links >
>


__________________________________