GNUARM tools at www.gnuarm.com

Started by Rick Collins December 11, 2005
I provide a web site where compiled versions of the GNUARM tools are
hosted, www.gnuarm.com. I can pretty much leave it alone and it
generates enough revenue from the Google ads to pay for the high
bandwidth it needs. But the last few months even though the bandwidth
has not dropped, the revenue from people clicking the Google ads has
dropped off.

It would appear that fewer people are clicking the ads even though
they are still downloading the files. I would like to try to optimize
the ads to match what people are interested in learning more about. I
only have indirect control over the ads, but I can tune the pages a
bit. Mostly the ads seem to be about other development tools, some
for the ARM, others for CPU independant designs like Ethernet. If
people aren't interested in these ads, what related items might you be
interested in? If a professional designer is downloading the GNU ARM
tools for commercial use, what other tools would he be buying?

I need to find a way to boost the click through revenue again or I
might not be able to keep the pages up.


An Engineer's Guide to the LPC2100 Series

Rick Collins <gnuarm@gnua...> schrieb am Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:08:41 -0000:

> I need to find a way to boost the click through revenue again or I
> might not be able to keep the pages up.

How about a small sentence on the download page:
"Please klick one of the ads to help financing this page." --
42Bastian Schick



--- In lpc2000@lpc2..., 42Bastian Schick <bastian42@m...> wrote:
>
> Rick Collins <gnuarm@a...> schrieb am Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:08:41 -0000:
>
> > I need to find a way to boost the click through revenue again or I
> > might not be able to keep the pages up.
>
> How about a small sentence on the download page:
> "Please klick one of the ads to help financing this page."

That is actually prohibited by Google. The idea is that people click
the ads because they are interested in the products and so the
advertisers pay for targeted click throughs which are much more likely
to generate revenue for them.

I'm not looking to mess with Google's advertising business model. I
would like to find out what type of ads would be of interest to people
visiting the web page. Maybe I could add some text asking that on the
web page?





What kind of bandwidth and size are we looking at?

I do have a server with plenty of headroom to spare.
Its a serverpronto server 200GB per mo allowance and I
generally use around 1% of it on hazara.org. If gnuarm
doesnt use more than 100GB, its doable. --- Rick Collins <gnuarm@gnua...> wrote:

> --- In lpc2000@lpc2..., 42Bastian Schick
> <bastian42@m...> wrote:
> >
> > Rick Collins <gnuarm@a...> schrieb am Sun, 11 Dec
> 2005 19:08:41 -0000:
> >
> > > I need to find a way to boost the click through
> revenue again or I
> > > might not be able to keep the pages up.
> >
> > How about a small sentence on the download page:
> > "Please klick one of the ads to help financing
> this page."
>
> That is actually prohibited by Google. The idea is
> that people click
> the ads because they are interested in the products
> and so the
> advertisers pay for targeted click throughs which
> are much more likely
> to generate revenue for them.
>
> I'm not looking to mess with Google's advertising
> business model. I
> would like to find out what type of ads would be of
> interest to people
> visiting the web page. Maybe I could add some text
> asking that on the
> web page? >
>




Thanks for the offer, but yes, the monthly bandwidth is larger than
100 GB. I thought we were still under that, but I checked and we
left 100 GB behind some months ago.

Originally Pablo worked out hosting with several vendors so there
would be a main site with mirrors. But the mirrors have not been
updated in a long time and the bandwidth on the main site is growing
all the time.

The posts I have been making asking for advice seem to have
generated enough extra clicks that the finances are fine for a
while. It was not my intent to get people to just start clicking on
the ads randomly since people are paying for those clicks and want
value for their money. I was trying to find a way to optimize the
ads for reader interest.

I'll see how the next month goes and see if further action is
needed.
--- In lpc2000@lpc2..., Ghazan Haider <ghazanhaider@y...>
wrote:
>
> What kind of bandwidth and size are we looking at?
>
> I do have a server with plenty of headroom to spare.
> Its a serverpronto server 200GB per mo allowance and I
> generally use around 1% of it on hazara.org. If gnuarm
> doesnt use more than 100GB, its doable. > --- Rick Collins <gnuarm@a...> wrote:
>
> > --- In lpc2000@lpc2..., 42Bastian Schick
> > <bastian42@m...> wrote:
> > >
> > > Rick Collins <gnuarm@a...> schrieb am Sun, 11 Dec
> > 2005 19:08:41 -0000:
> > >
> > > > I need to find a way to boost the click through
> > revenue again or I
> > > > might not be able to keep the pages up.
> > >
> > > How about a small sentence on the download page:
> > > "Please klick one of the ads to help financing
> > this page."
> >
> > That is actually prohibited by Google. The idea is
> > that people click
> > the ads because they are interested in the products
> > and so the
> > advertisers pay for targeted click throughs which
> > are much more likely
> > to generate revenue for them.
> >
> > I'm not looking to mess with Google's advertising
> > business model. I
> > would like to find out what type of ads would be of
> > interest to people
> > visiting the web page. Maybe I could add some text
> > asking that on the
> > web page?





Dont sourceforge and the likes help at all? I was
under the impression that an opensource project had
many places to be online, where charity-funded
providers would mirror them for free. I'm probably
wrong.

I'll click on your ads for some time, although the ads
are uninteresting. The toolkit itself is the most
interesting bit. --- Rick Collins <gnuarm@gnua...> wrote:

> Thanks for the offer, but yes, the monthly bandwidth
> is larger than
> 100 GB. I thought we were still under that, but I
> checked and we
> left 100 GB behind some months ago.
>
> Originally Pablo worked out hosting with several
> vendors so there
> would be a main site with mirrors. But the mirrors
> have not been
> updated in a long time and the bandwidth on the main
> site is growing
> all the time.
>
> The posts I have been making asking for advice seem
> to have
> generated enough extra clicks that the finances are
> fine for a
> while. It was not my intent to get people to just
> start clicking on
> the ads randomly since people are paying for those
> clicks and want
> value for their money. I was trying to find a way
> to optimize the
> ads for reader interest.
>
> I'll see how the next month goes and see if further
> action is
> needed. >
> --- In lpc2000@lpc2..., Ghazan Haider
> <ghazanhaider@y...>
> wrote:
> >
> > What kind of bandwidth and size are we looking at?
> >
> > I do have a server with plenty of headroom to
> spare.
> > Its a serverpronto server 200GB per mo allowance
> and I
> > generally use around 1% of it on hazara.org. If
> gnuarm
> > doesnt use more than 100GB, its doable.
> >
> >
> > --- Rick Collins <gnuarm@a...> wrote:
> >
> > > --- In lpc2000@lpc2..., 42Bastian Schick
> > > <bastian42@m...> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Rick Collins <gnuarm@a...> schrieb am Sun, 11
> Dec
> > > 2005 19:08:41 -0000:
> > > >
> > > > > I need to find a way to boost the click
> through
> > > revenue again or I
> > > > > might not be able to keep the pages up.
> > > >
> > > > How about a small sentence on the download
> page:
> > > > "Please klick one of the ads to help financing
> > > this page."
> > >
> > > That is actually prohibited by Google. The idea
> is
> > > that people click
> > > the ads because they are interested in the
> products
> > > and so the
> > > advertisers pay for targeted click throughs
> which
> > > are much more likely
> > > to generate revenue for them.
> > >
> > > I'm not looking to mess with Google's
> advertising
> > > business model. I
> > > would like to find out what type of ads would be
> of
> > > interest to people
> > > visiting the web page. Maybe I could add some
> text
> > > asking that on the
> > > web page?