Forums

Philips ARM appnote contest

Started by jim_e_dallas March 25, 2004
If anyone is interested, Philips is running a contest for application
notes that may be published. If you want to have a chance at winning
$1000.00 check out the website:

www.semiconductors.philips.com/appnote_contest

By just submitting an abstract, you will have a chance to win a
Philips MP3 keychain. Any takers?

Jim




An Engineer's Guide to the LPC2100 Series

--- In , "jim_e_dallas" <jim_e_dallas@y...> wrote:
> If

(anyone)

"Open only to U.S. residents"!!!!!!!

is interested, Philips is running a contest for application
> notes that may be published. If you want to have a chance at winning
> $1000.00 check out the website:
>
> www.semiconductors.philips.com/appnote_contest
>
> By just submitting an abstract, you will have a chance to win a
> Philips MP3 keychain. Any takers?
>
> Jim

Why exclude the rest of the world ?

Andreas



----- Original Message -----
From: "haack0815" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 4:46 PM
Subject: [lpc2000] Re: Philips ARM appnote contest > --- In , "jim_e_dallas" <jim_e_dallas@y...> wrote:
> > If
>
> (anyone)
>
> "Open only to U.S. residents"!!!!!!!
>
> is interested, Philips is running a contest for application
> > notes that may be published. If you want to have a chance at winning
> > $1000.00 check out the website:
> >
> > www.semiconductors.philips.com/appnote_contest
> >
> > By just submitting an abstract, you will have a chance to win a
> > Philips MP3 keychain. Any takers?
> >
> > Jim
>
> Why exclude the rest of the world ?

That is strange, Philips is based in Holland.

Leon




Not so strange really -- these design contests and the like are not
democratic programs designed to spread knowledge freely over the world
(OK, that may be a nice side effect). They are a sales tool designed to
spark interest in a certain market segment -- in this case probably to
increase the awareness in the U.S. market.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:52:17 -0000, Leon Heller wrote:
>>--- In , "jim_e_dallas" <jim_e_dallas@y...>wrote:
>>>If
>>
>>(anyone)
>>
>>"Open only to U.S. residents"!!!!!!!
>>
>>is interested, Philips is running a contest for application
>>>notes that may be published. If you want to have a chance at winning
>>>$1000.00 check out the website:
>>>
>>>www.semiconductors.philips.com/appnote_contest
>>>
>>>By just submitting an abstract, you will have a chance to win a
>>>Philips MP3 keychain. Any takers?
>>>
>>>Jim
>>
>>Why exclude the rest of the world ?
>
>That is strange, Philips is based in Holland.






> That is strange, Philips is based in Holland.
>
> Leon

Philips started making lightbulbs in Eindhoven many, many years ago,
but a lot of stuff is done in Sunnyvale, CA. besides others :-)

-- Kris


>Why exclude the rest of the world ?
>
>Andreas

perhaphs they assume that Appnotes without typos could be written
only in US ;)

too bad we didn't read that the contest is only for US residents and
send e-mails to lot of our customers who bought LPC dev boards from
us (many of them are not in US)

Tsvetan


Hi guys,

give us a break, please. Although our application team has not been
involved in this contest, the goal was to provide more information to
more engineers worldwide. Or, in a nutshell to help everyone helping
everyone else.

I responded to Matt's e-mail because I think it comes close to what
actually happened. Again, I am not familiar with the details of the
contest but contests need a sponsor. The sponsor of this event is
located in the USA.

We do not question your ability to write an application note in proper
English. (English is not my native language either ;-)

Don't know what else to say but would like to apologize that this
contest has created a kind of negative discussion. It was definitely
meant for the best!

Regards, Robert

--- In , Matt Pobursky <ccsuser@m...> wrote:
> Not so strange really -- these design contests and the like are not
> democratic programs designed to spread knowledge freely over the world
> (OK, that may be a nice side effect). They are a sales tool designed to
> spark interest in a certain market segment -- in this case probably to
> increase the awareness in the U.S. market.
>
> Matt Pobursky
> Maximum Performance Systems
>
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:52:17 -0000, Leon Heller wrote:
> > > --- In , "jim_e_dallas"
<jim_e_dallas@y...> wrote:
> > > > If
> > >
> > > (anyone)
> > >
> > > "Open only to U.S. residents"!!!!!!!
> > >
> > > is interested, Philips is running a contest for application
> > > > notes that may be published. If you want to have a chance at
winning
> > > > $1000.00 check out the website:
> > > >
> > > > www.semiconductors.philips.com/appnote_contest
> > > >
> > > > By just submitting an abstract, you will have a chance to win a
> > > > Philips MP3 keychain. Any takers?
> > > >
> > > > Jim
> > >
> > > Why exclude the rest of the world ?
> >
> > That is strange, Philips is based in Holland.





> give us a break, please. Although our application team has not been
> involved in this contest, the goal was to provide more information to

And in a related note, why the hell is it that this particular
microcontroller seems to generate so much more acrimony and controversy
in its support group than any other I've used?

--
-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.larwe.com/



----- Original Message -----
From: "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: [lpc2000] Re: Philips ARM appnote contest > > give us a break, please. Although our application team has not been
> > involved in this contest, the goal was to provide more information to
>
> And in a related note, why the hell is it that this particular
> microcontroller seems to generate so much more acrimony and controversy
> in its support group than any other I've used?

The PicList isn't any better. There is an even more acrimonious discussion
going on there - something to do with making pencils. 8-)

Leon




I would guess this has more to do with legal liability. If you
make an offer in a global forum, you're offering it to everyone
everywhere in the world and you will be expected to comply with
their laws in doing so. If you say the offer is good only in a
limited area, you limit the laws with which you must comply.

So, to offer this to U.S. residents only means that they just
need to pass the offer by a team of U.S. law aware lawyers to
ensure that it's good. To offer it to the whole world, you'd
have to retain legal counsel in every country in the world to
review your proposal. I'm pretty sure that would cost more than
$20K (USD).

So, since the idea of the contest is to come up with good app
notes, not to employ lawyers, they probably picked a limited
area for which they had free access to legal counsel.

For those in the U.S. you're probably familiar with the little
blurbs they add to the end of free prize contests where they
state that the offer is not valid in certain states because
those specific states have some law preventing the contest from
being legal in their jurisdiction. If all of the states in the
US can't even agree on how to make it legal to *give away for
free* some item, do you expect every country in the world to have
uniform laws on business contracts?

So, don't blame Philips, take issue with your local lawmakers
for being so silly. :)

Cheers,
David