LPC2106 and FPGA

Started by Leon Heller December 17, 2003
I am thinking of designing a little 4-layer PCB with an LPC2106 and a Xilinx
Spartan XC2S200 on it, for one or two applications I've got in mind. The
FPGA will be configurable via the '2106 which will have a suitable serial
flash device connected to it for storing the configuration data. All '2106
I/Os will be connected to the FPGA and the remaining FPGA I/Os will be
brought out to connectors. It'll have an RS-232 port and JTAG for the '2106.
I probably won't bother with the JTAG for the FPGA.

Is anyone else intererested in this?

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email:
My low-cost Philips LPC210x ARM development system:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller//lpc2104.html




An Engineer's Guide to the LPC2100 Series

At 11:32 AM 12/17/03 +0000, you wrote:
>I am thinking of designing a little 4-layer PCB with an LPC2106 and a Xilinx
>Spartan XC2S200 on it, for one or two applications I've got in mind. The
>FPGA will be configurable via the '2106 which will have a suitable serial
>flash device connected to it for storing the configuration data. All '2106
>I/Os will be connected to the FPGA and the remaining FPGA I/Os will be
>brought out to connectors. It'll have an RS-232 port and JTAG for the '2106.
>I probably won't bother with the JTAG for the FPGA.

Sounds intriguing Leon. Unfortunately, I've no idea what I'd do with it,
nothing I've done has required that sort of logic. It's either been best
done (integrated) on the micro, slow enough that the micro is more than
fast enough or simple enough to be done with a few discrete gates or a
simple PLD like a 22V10. I'd love to hear what kind of use it got put to
though.

Robert

BTW, (OT but others may run into similar problems) I think I've tracked
down the problems I was having with group mail arriving wildly out of order
and widely delayed. There appears to be plenty of blame to spread
around. I think most of the delays were either sporadic overloads on the
system or more likely something at my ISP. In addition, however, as a
check on this I subscribed via a different e-mail provider and changed the
address in Yahoo. The interface would not change the delivery address (It
claimed it had but all the mail was sent to the previous address), Yahoo
had to manually intervene. I also subscribed via a third address and I've
since unsubscribed from that one but e-mail keeps coming through on it
anyway (even with a confirmation that I unsubscribed) " 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself. There are always restrictions,
be they legal, genetic, or physical. If you don't believe me, try to
chew a radio signal. "

Kelvin Throop, III



----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Adsett" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: [lpc2100] LPC2106 and FPGA > At 11:32 AM 12/17/03 +0000, you wrote:
> >I am thinking of designing a little 4-layer PCB with an LPC2106 and a
Xilinx
> >Spartan XC2S200 on it, for one or two applications I've got in mind. The
> >FPGA will be configurable via the '2106 which will have a suitable serial
> >flash device connected to it for storing the configuration data. All
'2106
> >I/Os will be connected to the FPGA and the remaining FPGA I/Os will be
> >brought out to connectors. It'll have an RS-232 port and JTAG for the
'2106.
> >I probably won't bother with the JTAG for the FPGA.
>
> Sounds intriguing Leon. Unfortunately, I've no idea what I'd do with it,
> nothing I've done has required that sort of logic. It's either been best
> done (integrated) on the micro, slow enough that the micro is more than
> fast enough or simple enough to be done with a few discrete gates or a
> simple PLD like a 22V10. I'd love to hear what kind of use it got put to
> though.
>

It may be used for lots of things: co-processor, DSP, NCO, video processing
etc.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email:
My low-cost Philips LPC210x ARM development system:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller//lpc2104.html




Hi Leon,

This kind of thing would be great for many things considering there's so
much more CPU
power now. I'd have quite a few apps in mind, but the downer with Xilinx is
that the IP
is not safe when booting like that. I've never really looked further. I
prefer FPGAs that are
Flash based, or in many cases a large CPLD will do. Can't have them all I
guess.

Do you have a way to protect the IP for the FPGA ? I don't even know if
Xilinx provides
for encrypted booting on the Spartan etc.

-- Kris

> > Sounds intriguing Leon. Unfortunately, I've no idea what I'd do with
it,
> > nothing I've done has required that sort of logic. It's either been
best
> > done (integrated) on the micro, slow enough that the micro is more than
> > fast enough or simple enough to be done with a few discrete gates or a
> > simple PLD like a 22V10. I'd love to hear what kind of use it got put
to
> > though.
> >
>
> It may be used for lots of things: co-processor, DSP, NCO, video
processing
> etc.
>
> Leon
> --
> Leon Heller, G1HSM
> Email:
> My low-cost Philips LPC210x ARM development system:
> http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller//lpc2104.html





----- Original Message -----
From: "microbit" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: [lpc2100] LPC2106 and FPGA > Hi Leon,
>
> This kind of thing would be great for many things considering there's so
> much more CPU
> power now. I'd have quite a few apps in mind, but the downer with Xilinx
is
> that the IP
> is not safe when booting like that. I've never really looked further. I
> prefer FPGAs that are
> Flash based, or in many cases a large CPLD will do. Can't have them all I
> guess.
>
> Do you have a way to protect the IP for the FPGA ? I don't even know if
> Xilinx provides
> for encrypted booting on the Spartan etc.

One or two techniques spring to mind, like an encrypted bit stream in the
flash memory. Once it's in the FPGA it's pretty safe. Xilinx has got quite a
lot of info on security, it's an important consideration for many customers.
I've never needed to bother with it, myself.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email:
My low-cost Philips LPC210x ARM development system:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller//lpc2104.html




Hi Leon,

> I am thinking of designing a little 4-layer PCB with an LPC2106 and a
Xilinx
> Spartan XC2S200 on it, for one or two applications I've got in mind. The

It could be useful, but if you're continuing to develop this as a
platform, I _personally_ would rather see a single standardized CPU
board with 100 mil headers, and a variety of mezzanines available to
plug directly onto those headers. I.e. build up, not out. Also it means
you can keep the boards 2-layer where possible, to save cost.

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (http://www.zws.com/)
Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20





----- Original Message -----
From: "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 3:57 PM
Subject: Re: [lpc2100] LPC2106 and FPGA >
> Hi Leon,
>
> > I am thinking of designing a little 4-layer PCB with an LPC2106 and a
> Xilinx
> > Spartan XC2S200 on it, for one or two applications I've got in mind. The
>
> It could be useful, but if you're continuing to develop this as a
> platform, I _personally_ would rather see a single standardized CPU
> board with 100 mil headers, and a variety of mezzanines available to
> plug directly onto those headers. I.e. build up, not out. Also it means
> you can keep the boards 2-layer where possible, to save cost.

I've already done something like that for a client, I don't want to compete
directly with them. For small boards like this the additional cost for four
layers is negligible, and they are much easier to design.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email:
My low-cost Philips LPC210x ARM development system:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller//lpc2104.html



> > It could be useful, but if you're continuing to develop this as a
> > platform, I _personally_ would rather see a single standardized CPU
> > board with 100 mil headers, and a variety of mezzanines available to

>
> I've already done something like that for a client, I don't want to
compete
> directly with them. For small boards like this the additional cost for
four

Fair enough. The main thing for me is, I don't really need multiple
development systems with overlap, so I'd prefer to pay once for a CPU
module and then a smaller incremental cost for each add-on module. Also
if the modules were stackable, I could prototype more exotic systems if
needs be, without too much wirewrap insulation on the floor... But no
matter. -- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (http://www.zws.com/)
Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20




At 12:57 17-12-2003, you wrote:

>Hi Leon,
>
> > I am thinking of designing a little 4-layer PCB with an LPC2106 and a
>Xilinx
> > Spartan XC2S200 on it, for one or two applications I've got in mind. The
>
>It could be useful, but if you're continuing to develop this as a
>platform, I _personally_ would rather see a single standardized CPU
>board with 100 mil headers, and a variety of mezzanines available to
>plug directly onto those headers. I.e. build up, not out. Also it means
>you can keep the boards 2-layer where possible, to save cost.

Our "ARMermelator" project aims toward that. The main board consists of
an AT91 processor, Flash memory, SRAM and an XC2S50E/XC2S100E FPGA, all in
a 3"x2" format board. All IO pins of the MCU and FPGA are shared and
exported through two 60-pin 2mm headers, which makes prototyping and module
insertion easy. For our in-house projects, we are currently designing
modules with Analog IO, RS232/485, Ethernet, RF, CF, GPS interfaces.

The board supports stacked modules or can be used with a backbone. For
that purpose, modules also have an AGP132 edge connector to be inserted in
this backbone (up to 14 modules). Modules are automatically recognized at
powerup by the main board through a simple serial interface.

We considered Philips ARM MCUs for the main board, but the lack of an
external bus in the current devices was very limiting, specially if you
want to plug cheap modules with memory mapped interfaces. We are planning
to design some modules with the Philips MCUs, though. I hope the MCUs with
an external memory interface are available soon. Does anyone know if they
will have RAM controllers?

We are also planning to offer our board as a kit (main board + JTAG
programmer + prototyping module) for something between US$150~US$200. Since
all FPGA pins are exported, the board also can be used as an FPGA kit if
the processor is not soldered in. Would anyone be interested in buying
something like that? The idea would be to put up a site where people can
share their code, designs, etc. Something like an ARM-based open-source ZWorld.

We are open to ideas... Cheers!



--- In , "Leon Heller" <leon_heller@h...>
wrote:
> I am thinking of designing a little 4-layer PCB with an LPC2106
and a Xilinx
> Spartan XC2S200 on it, for one or two applications I've got in

Great. I started gathering info to make a board exactly like that
early new year.

But I'd go for a Spartan 3, XC3S200-4TQ144. Samples are available,
and they will shortly give much more bang for the buck.
You can scale down to S50 or up to S400.

If you go with Spartan3, please state so: I'd immediately buy two
PCBs.

Being that for development, I'd surely add pads for FPGA Jtag, even
if not in the standard 2x10 connector. Really useful to develop FPGA
(Chipscope, etc).