Forums

CrossStudio editor

Started by "r.jensenm" April 14, 2008
Hi Will,

> > Oooh... that's a teaser :) We're looking at picking up a second
> > license very soon. Will we need to upgrade to continue to use VA X?
> >
> > Any idea on an ETA?
>
> Can I add a bit of whimpering here too?
>
> In October I heard "V2 should be with us in a couple of months for
> ARM..."
>
> I hope I didn't delay the whole thing by introducing you to VA!

Things have been delayed because we've expanded the feature set we'll
introduce in V2. There's already some nice additions (industry-speak would
talk of "exciting new features"). V2 is being built daily and pushed out to
select customers.

I have, however, implemented quite a bit of what I miss in WorkspaceWhiz and
VA X. I can't get along in Visual Studio without WW or VA X, so the things
I use most often are now in CrossStudio.

--
Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd http://www.rowley.co.uk
CrossWorks for ARM, MSP430, AVR, MAXQ, and now Cortex-M3 processors

An Engineer's Guide to the LPC2100 Series

Can you guys add the option of licencing the software by locking it
to a MAC address? This way I can format my PC, upgrade or use another
PC and not bother you guys with generating a licence every time.

This will also guarantee we can still use the software even if you
decided to stop generating licences!

Oh! it has to work on USB network device so I can go back and forth
between desktop and laptop

Gus

--- In l..., "Paul Curtis" wrote:
>
> Hi Will,
>
> > > Oooh... that's a teaser :) We're looking at picking up a
second
> > > license very soon. Will we need to upgrade to continue to use
VA X?
> > >
> > > Any idea on an ETA?
> >
> > Can I add a bit of whimpering here too?
> >
> > In October I heard "V2 should be with us in a couple of months for
> > ARM..."
> >
> > I hope I didn't delay the whole thing by introducing you to VA!
>
> Things have been delayed because we've expanded the feature set
we'll
> introduce in V2. There's already some nice additions (industry-
speak would
> talk of "exciting new features"). V2 is being built daily and
pushed out to
> select customers.
>
> I have, however, implemented quite a bit of what I miss in
WorkspaceWhiz and
> VA X. I can't get along in Visual Studio without WW or VA X, so
the things
> I use most often are now in CrossStudio.
>
> --
> Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd http://www.rowley.co.uk
> CrossWorks for ARM, MSP430, AVR, MAXQ, and now Cortex-M3 processors
>

Hi Gus,

> Can you guys add the option of licencing the software by locking it
> to a MAC address? This way I can format my PC, upgrade or use another
> PC and not bother you guys with generating a licence every time.

This is already done for the V2 line.

> This will also guarantee we can still use the software even if you
> decided to stop generating licences!

Yep.

> Oh! it has to work on USB network device so I can go back and forth
> between desktop and laptop

That might be tricky.
--
Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd http://www.rowley.co.uk
CrossWorks for ARM, MSP430, AVR, MAXQ, and now Cortex-M3 processors

Hi Paul,

Just so you hear both sides, the "per developer" license was the
absolute deciding factor for us chosing Rowley over Keil/IAR.

While we had a few choices of environments that supported GCC, being
able to have this installed on both work PCs (desktop and notebook)
AND at home was a major factor.

Why would someone re-install CS on such a regular basis with such
regular h/w changes that they'd need a new key each time? Locking to
a MAC address certainly leaves things open to pilfering as it's a
piece of cake to change a lot of NIC MAC addresses. Buy one license
and five NICs and set them all to the same MAC. Then just use another
NIC to connect to the local network so you don't get conflicts... meh
:) Up to you guys of course.

I tried emailing you Paul but I guess I got the email address
incorrect - plcrowley...?

--- In l..., "Paul Curtis" wrote:
>
> Hi Gus,
>
> > Can you guys add the option of licencing the software by locking it
> > to a MAC address? This way I can format my PC, upgrade or use another
> > PC and not bother you guys with generating a licence every time.
>
> This is already done for the V2 line.
>
> > This will also guarantee we can still use the software even if you
> > decided to stop generating licences!
>
> Yep.
>
> > Oh! it has to work on USB network device so I can go back and forth
> > between desktop and laptop
>
> That might be tricky.
> --
> Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd http://www.rowley.co.uk
> CrossWorks for ARM, MSP430, AVR, MAXQ, and now Cortex-M3 processors
>

--- In l..., "Darcy" wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Just so you hear both sides, the "per developer" license was the
> absolute deciding factor for us chosing Rowley over Keil/IAR.
>
> While we had a few choices of environments that supported GCC, being
> able to have this installed on both work PCs (desktop and notebook)
> AND at home was a major factor.
>

I have to add that I have found this licensing feature very useful,
allowing me to write raw software 'off-site' and so getting all the
syntax, linking etc. annoyances out of the way before spending on-site
time in a more effective manner - debugging on the real hardware.

Sadly, I have a whole pile of Windows apps to write enhance/maintain
and legacy stuff to support, (Z180/MSP/PIC - ugh!), leaving little
time for extensive development hassle on the LPC jobs. I could not
afford the time to get bogged down with the link failures, dodgy
interrupts, startup problems, convoluted makefile syntax and all the
other c**p that normally cause so many problems for developers. With
the Crossworks environment, I have managed to get apps going. It's
still more difficult than Windows/Delphi, (soddin' Vista), but I can
do it without months of pain.

I had only one big problem that was not my fault - the initial calling
of C++ constructors caused a crash in thumb mode. This was sorted
quickly by a one-line patch from Rowley.

Rgds,
Martin, (no connection with Rowley other than as Crossworks user).

Will v2 support RVDS compiler or at least give us the option of
customising the command line so it uses a compiler other than GCC.

I love your IDE but since we own RVDS it wouldn't makes sense to use
GCC. Now I compile in Eclipse (for RVDS) and debug in crossworks. It
works somewhat okay but stepping in code is very bad and most
variables wouldn't show in debugger (yes I am not using optimisation)

Gus

--- In l..., "Paul Curtis" wrote:
>
> Hi Gus,
>
> > Can you guys add the option of licencing the software by locking
it
> > to a MAC address? This way I can format my PC, upgrade or use
another
> > PC and not bother you guys with generating a licence every time.
>
> This is already done for the V2 line.
>
> > This will also guarantee we can still use the software even if you
> > decided to stop generating licences!
>
> Yep.
>
> > Oh! it has to work on USB network device so I can go back and
forth
> > between desktop and laptop
>
> That might be tricky.
> --
> Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd http://www.rowley.co.uk
> CrossWorks for ARM, MSP430, AVR, MAXQ, and now Cortex-M3 processors
>

Hi Gus,

> Will v2 support RVDS compiler or at least give us the option of
> customising the command line so it uses a compiler other than GCC.

Given that all compilers claim to conform to ARM AEABI (RVDS, IAR, GCC)
*then* we could consider supporting non-GNU compilers as a compilation
option inside CrossStudio. The problems that I've glossed over are, of
course, whether we use the vendor-supplied linker or stick to the GNU
linker. (I don't want any arguments here...) And all those header files
that differ. A simple swap-this-compiler-for-that-compiler would mostly
work given strict conformance to AEABI, but a full blown integration is a
far more difficult matter.

> I love your IDE but since we own RVDS it wouldn't makes sense to use
> GCC. Now I compile in Eclipse (for RVDS) and debug in crossworks. It
> works somewhat okay but stepping in code is very bad and most
> variables wouldn't show in debugger (yes I am not using optimisation)

Then perhaps we should grab some RVDS licenses and sort it out...

--
Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd http://www.rowley.co.uk
CrossWorks for ARM, MSP430, AVR, MAXQ, and now Cortex-M3 processors

Hi,

> Why would someone re-install CS on such a regular basis with such
> regular h/w changes that they'd need a new key each time? Locking to
> a MAC address certainly leaves things open to pilfering as it's a
> piece of cake to change a lot of NIC MAC addresses. Buy one license
> and five NICs and set them all to the same MAC. Then just use another
> NIC to connect to the local network so you don't get conflicts... meh
> :) Up to you guys of course.

The problem is that customers regularly re-install the OS which requires a
new activation key. If the MAC address stays the same, that won't be
required. We just want to have the least amount of hassle for paying
customers with a reminder to keep honest.

--
Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd http://www.rowley.co.uk
CrossWorks for ARM, MSP430, AVR, MAXQ, and now Cortex-M3 processors