Forums

Two new LPCs: LPC2157 / LPC2158

Started by capiman26061973 May 24, 2008
Hello,

there are two new LPCs:

LPC2157 seems to be a LPC2138 + LCD Controller
LPC2158 seems to be a LPC2148 + LCD Controller

Both in LQFP100.

I can't find any data sheet or user manuals about them on nxp
webpages.

Google found a datasheet:
http://www.zlgmcu.com/philips/arm/lpc2100/lpc2157_58_ds.pdf

>From the above data sheet:
"Refer to the respective LPC2148 and LPC2138 user manual for details."
On-chip LCD controller seems to be a PCF8576D.

LCD Controller seems to be 32 x 4 (what does this mean ? 4 lines with
32 characters ?). According to the above data sheet (chapter 6.21) it
can control 16 digits of 7 segment or 8 digits of 14 segments. I
found the following eval board with a display on it:

http://www.teamfdi.com/products/downloads/support/brochures/LCDDemo-
LPC2158%20Brochure%20Rev1.pdf

Datasheet of PCF8576D is at
http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/datasheets/PCF8576D_5.pdf

Regards,

Martin

An Engineer's Guide to the LPC2100 Series

Hi,

> Hello,
>
> there are two new LPCs:
>
> LPC2157 seems to be a LPC2138 + LCD Controller
> LPC2158 seems to be a LPC2148 + LCD Controller
>
> Both in LQFP100.

These two seem to be MCMs (multi-chip modules) combining
either LPC2148 or LPC2138 die with the LCD controller die in
the same package.
Interesting approach for such a low cost product!

> I can't find any data sheet or user manuals about them on nxp
> webpages.
>

I guess the only real difference is the pinout, so there is no
need for new manuals.

> Google found a datasheet:
> http://www.zlgmcu.com/philips/arm/lpc2100/lpc2157_58_ds.pdf
>
> From the above data sheet:
> "Refer to the respective LPC2148 and LPC2138 user manual for
details."
> On-chip LCD controller seems to be a PCF8576D.
>
> LCD Controller seems to be 32 x 4 (what does this mean ? 4 lines
with
> 32 characters ?). According to the above data sheet (chapter 6.21)
it
> can control 16 digits of 7 segment or 8 digits of 14 segments. I

The PCF8576D can do 160 segments but looks that NXP run out pins on
the LPQF100 and they had to limit the number of segments to 128.

The above data sheet link does not work so I can not
tell if these 2 dies are connected internally or not.

> found the following eval board with a display on it:
>
> http://www.teamfdi.com/products/downloads/support/brochures/LCDDemo-
> LPC2158%20Brochure%20Rev1.pdf

Cute board.

>
> Datasheet of PCF8576D is at
> http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/datasheets/PCF8576D_5.pdf
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin
>
Looks like this is NXPs response to Atmel's AT91SAM7L series.
Cheers,
Pawel
Hello,

>> Google found a datasheet:
>> http://www.zlgmcu.com/philips/arm/lpc2100/lpc2157_58_ds.pdf

> The above data sheet link does not work so I can not
> tell if these 2 dies are connected internally or not.

You can try this link:
http://mcuol.com/download/upfile/lpc2157_58_ds.pdf

or Google for "LPC2157" or "LPC2158"

Regards,

Martin