EBI synchronization on LPC2378

Started by Olivier Gautherot October 14, 2010
Hi,

I am working on a new design that involves an LPC2378 and an FPGA, in which
we plan to map specific hardware. The FPGA will be accessed via the EBI.

The problem is that the FPGA will require a clock and I don't seem to find
the EBI clock on the bus. Is there any way to retrieve it? An alternative
would be to use the LPC2468 in SDRAM mode but this would also increase the
complexity of the board...

Thanks in advance
--
Olivier Gautherot
o...@gautherot.net

An Engineer's Guide to the LPC2100 Series

Oliver,

I don't know if the LPC1778 is already sampling, but this Cortex M3
device can output the clock as well (which is not possible for the ARM7
devices as far as I remember - but read the manual ;-)) and it's much
faster, and it's compatible to the LPC2378.

Herbert

On 14.10.2010 04:32, Olivier Gautherot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a new design that involves an LPC2378 and an FPGA, in
> which we plan to map specific hardware. The FPGA will be accessed via
> the EBI.
>
> The problem is that the FPGA will require a clock and I don't seem to
> find the EBI clock on the bus. Is there any way to retrieve it? An
> alternative would be to use the LPC2468 in SDRAM mode but this would
> also increase the complexity of the board...
>
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Olivier Gautherot
> o...@gautherot.net
Thanks Herbert. I saw the description of the LPC1778 and it looks really
great. Unfortunately, it is not available yet on Digikey (it will be a
low-to-medium volume project). This is why I turned to the LPC2xxx. On
another project, we have the LPC1768 already designed in but it does not
have an external memory bus.

I did check the manual before I sent the question (it happened to answer the
vast majority of my questions ;-) ) but I did not see a reference to a clock
output, this is why I wanted to double check.

Cheers
--
Olivier Gautherot
o...@gautherot.net
On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:48 AM, wrote:

> Oliver,
>
> I don't know if the LPC1778 is already sampling, but this Cortex M3 device
> can output the clock as well (which is not possible for the ARM7 devices as
> far as I remember - but read the manual ;-)) and it's much faster, and it's
> compatible to the LPC2378.
>
> Herbert
>
> On 14.10.2010 04:32, Olivier Gautherot wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a new design that involves an LPC2378 and an FPGA, in which
> we plan to map specific hardware. The FPGA will be accessed via the EBI.
>
> The problem is that the FPGA will require a clock and I don't seem to find
> the EBI clock on the bus. Is there any way to retrieve it? An alternative
> would be to use the LPC2468 in SDRAM mode but this would also increase the
> complexity of the board...
>
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Olivier Gautherot
> o...@gautherot.net
>
>
Oliver,

this is what I've been worrying about :-(
We wait urgently for the fist samples of the LPC1788 as well ...

Best regards
Herbert

Am 14.10.2010 12:20, schrieb Olivier Gautherot:
> Thanks Herbert. I saw the description of the LPC1778 and it looks
> really great. Unfortunately, it is not available yet on Digikey (it
> will be a low-to-medium volume project). This is why I turned to the
> LPC2xxx. On another project, we have the LPC1768 already designed in
> but it does not have an external memory bus.
>
> I did check the manual before I sent the question (it happened to
> answer the vast majority of my questions ;-) ) but I did not see a
> reference to a clock output, this is why I wanted to double check.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Olivier Gautherot
> o...@gautherot.net
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:48 AM, > > wrote:
>
> Oliver,
>
> I don't know if the LPC1778 is already sampling, but this Cortex
> M3 device can output the clock as well (which is not possible for
> the ARM7 devices as far as I remember - but read the manual ;-))
> and it's much faster, and it's compatible to the LPC2378.
>
> Herbert
> On 14.10.2010 04:32, Olivier Gautherot wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working on a new design that involves an LPC2378 and an
>> FPGA, in which we plan to map specific hardware. The FPGA will be
>> accessed via the EBI.
>>
>> The problem is that the FPGA will require a clock and I don't
>> seem to find the EBI clock on the bus. Is there any way to
>> retrieve it? An alternative would be to use the LPC2468 in SDRAM
>> mode but this would also increase the complexity of the board...
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> --
>> Olivier Gautherot
>> o...@gautherot.net