LPC2131 board for $29!!!

Started by NMI Sales May 6, 2005
Announcing the Tini2131(tm) for only $29!!!

The Tini2131(tm) comes in the popular Tini pinout
format and is based on the Philips ARM LPC2131.
The LPC2131 has 32K Flash and 8K RAM. It has
on-board regulation, reset circuitry, RS-232
conversion, and three user programmable indicator
LED's. The Tini2131(tm) has 16 of the best I/O
pins of the LPC2131 brought out, and separate I2C
connections for networking. The 16 shared I/O pins
include two 32-bit timers, PWM, and 2 serials
which can be UARTS, I2C or SPI. There are even up
to eight channels of 10-bit A/D. This device can
be currently be developed in GCC using Eclipse in
the same way as the original TiniARM, as well as
having leading software toolchains from
companies like Keil Software.

It's small size, 1" x 1.3", allows it to be a
tightly integrated solution to robotics, motion,
automotive, and industrial control, as well as
the capability of being used in networking and
data logging applications. Currently Circuit
Cellar magazine has a design contest for ARMs
limited to the LPC213x controllers and the
TIni2131(tm) would be excellent to use in
development.

The Tini2131(tm) features the 60 Mhz, LPC-2131
32-bit ARM CPU . The popular ARM processor has
wide third party language support and with free
development tools like the Eclipse development
environment using GCC and a demo version of the
Keil compiler as well. Other great languages soon
to come from New Micros are IsoMax/Forth and
StatiC for the ARM. As an introductory offer we
will include a free Keil Demo CD upon request.

A serial bootloader is preinstalled for easy
program loading. In system programming can be done
with use of the onboard serial connection.

A Tini2131(tm) Development kit with the serial
cable, power supply and Proto-development-board is
available. Don't forget other great peripherals
like our line of h-bridges to complement
all of our varied microcontroller boards.

The "Tini" format is a good choice for
flexibility. Should you need a different type of
processor several are available. In previous
mailings, New Micros has introduced the 32-bit
60-MHz LPC2106 ARM based module known as the
TiniARM(TM) and also the 8-bit Mega128 based
TiniAVR(TM). These entries follows its 16-bit
80-MHz DSP based TiniPod(TM). New Micros continues
new development with the Tini2131(tm) this month.
Additional development in this format is planned,
including Tini430(TM) and TiniHC12(TM). We are
looking forward to even more products in this,
our 25th year of meeting embedded control needs.

www.newmicros.com <http://www.newmicros.com/>
NEW MICROS INC.,
1601 CHALK HILL RD.
DALLAS TX 75212
USA
214 339 2204 PHONE
214 339 1585 FAX --
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.5 -
Release Date: 5/4/2005


An Engineer's Guide to the LPC2100 Series

"NMI Sales" <nmisales@nmis...> writes:

> Announcing the Tini2131(tm) for only $29!!!

I was tickled to stumble across this yesterday when I was browsing the
NMI site. The price isn't bad; the size is great.

> The LPC2131 has 32K Flash and 8K RAM.

But, I wondered, why choose the smallest of the LPC213x series? It's
the same work to build the board, etc. etc. Wouldn't it be better to
put the LPC2138 chip on it instead? Or, at least, offer it with a
choice of LPC213x variants?

> ... Tini2131(tm) has 16 of the best I/O pins of the LPC2131 brought out

Also, even though I love the small size of the TiniXXXX boards, aren't
we throwing away a *lot* of the LPC213x I/O pins? (I don't know what to
suggest.)

Inquiring minds want to know.
--
Frank
Riscy Pygness -- Pygmy Forth for the ARM
http://pygmy.utoh.org/riscy



Frank Sergeant [frank@fran...] wrote:

> "NMI Sales" <nmisales@nmis...> writes:

> > Announcing the Tini2131(tm) for only $29!!!

> I was tickled to stumble across this yesterday
when I was browsing the
> NMI site. The price isn't bad; the size is
great.

Glad you like it !

> > The LPC2131 has 32K Flash and 8K RAM.

> But, I wondered, why choose the smallest of the
LPC213x series? It's
> the same work to build the board, etc. etc.
Wouldn't it be better to
> put the LPC2138 chip on it instead? Or, at
least, offer it with a
> choice of LPC213x variants?

Actually we have the LPC2138 available too. We
wanted to offer a board for everyone at a very
attractive price and in order to do so, had to
work in significant quantities. The LPC2131 worked
as a good baseline choice.

>> ... Tini2131(tm) has 16 of the best I/O pins
of the LPC2131 brought out

> Also, even though I love the small size of the
TiniXXXX boards, aren't
> we throwing away a *lot* of the LPC213x I/O
pins? (I don't know what to
> suggest.)
> Inquiring minds want to know.

I think we did pretty good in getting as many
versatile I/O out on a very small board while
still maintaining standard 0.1 spaced dual row
header connection. We do have the Plug-an-ARM
using the LPC2106 that has more pins, but check
the Tini2131 the pin out :

MCU side
P0.18 P0.18/CAP1.3/MISO1/MAT1.3
P0.17 P0.17/CAP1.2/SCK1/MAT1.2
P0.14 P0.14/EINT1/SDA1
P0.6 P0.6/MOSI0/CAP0.2
P0.5 P0.5/MISO0/MAT0.1/AD0.7
P0.26 P0.26/AD0.5
P0.30 P0.30/AD0.3/EINT3/CAP0.0
P0.28 P0.28/AD0.1/CAP0.2/MAT0.2
GND
ATN Serial DTR reset control signal
SI Serial Input to the Tini2131, RS232
levels
SO Serial Output from the Tini2131, RS232
levels

Bottom
P0.20 P0.20/MAT1.3/SSEL1/EINT3
P0.19 P0.19/MAT1.2/MOSI1/CAP1.2
P0.11 P0.11/CAP1.1/SCL1
P0.7 P0.7/SSEL0/PWM2/EINT2
P0.4 P0.4/SCK0/CAP0.1/AD0.6
P0.25 P0.25/AD0.4
P0.29 P0.29/AD0.2/CAP0.3/MAT0.3
P0.27 P0.27/AD0.0/CAP0.1/MAT0.1
+5V
RST Tini2131 Reset signal, active low
GND
Vin

- J3 I2C-0 -
SCL P0.2/SCL0/CAP0.0
GND
SDA P0.3/SDA0/MAT0.0/EINT1

- J2 JTAG - 2 by 5
+3.3V GND
TDI RTCK P1.28 P1.26
TDO TMS P1.27 P1.30
TCK P0.8 P1.29 P0.8
RST TRST RESET P1.31

- LED indicators -
P1.21
P1.22
P1.23
> --
> Frank
> Riscy Pygness -- Pygmy Forth for the ARM
> http://pygmy.utoh.org/riscy

nmisales@nmis...
www.newmicros.com
--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.8 -
Release Date: 5/10/2005


"NMI Sales" <nmisales@nmis...> writes:

>> But, I wondered, why choose the smallest of the LPC213x series?

> Actually we have the LPC2138 available too.

Oh, thanks. I had missed that when trying to browse your web site, but
I see it now. So, ok, you cover the high and low-end LPC213x variants
after all. That's great.

> We wanted to offer a board for everyone at a very attractive price and
> in order to do so, had to work in significant quantities. The LPC2131
> worked as a good baseline choice.

Good point.

>> ... aren't we throwing away a *lot* of the LPC213x I/O pins? (I
>> don't know what to suggest.)

> I think we did pretty good in getting as many
> versatile I/O out on a very small board while
> still maintaining standard 0.1 spaced dual row
> header connection.

Ok, that sounds like a reasonable trade off.

> We do have the Plug-an-ARM using the LPC2106 that has more pins, but

I still failed to find this one on the web site. (The site is a bit
difficult for me to navigate, using either Firefox or Konqueror on
Linux. Whenever I right click on a link and choose "open in new tab" I
get the home page in the new tab rather than the page I'm trying to get,
so I have to start at the top and drill down again from the beginning
each time.) I did find the Plug-an-ARM based on the LPC2129, though.

Eventually, I plan to try out my Forth on the Tini2106 board I got some
time ago. I think it will work. I put an Intel HEX file of the Forth,
set up for a 10 MHz crystal, on my web site, in case anyone wants to try
it out before I get to it. (It is basically the same as the version
that works with the Olimex LPC2106 board except one is set up for a 10
MHz crystal and the other for a 14.xxxx crystal.)

Once I try that out, I hope to get a Tini2131 or Tini2138 and try it
there.

Does the TiniARM (Tini2106) carrier board also work for the Tini2131?

Thanks for the information.

--
Frank
Riscy Pygness -- Pygmy Forth for the ARM
http://pygmy.utoh.org/riscy



Frank Sergeant [frank@fran...] wrote :

>> We do have the Plug-an-ARM using the LPC2106
that has more pins, but

I> still failed to find this one on the web site.
(The site is a bit
> difficult for me to navigate, using either
Firefox or Konqueror on
> Linux. Whenever I right click on a link and
choose "open in new tab" I
> get the home page in the new tab rather than the
page I'm trying to get,
> so I have to start at the top and drill down
again from the beginning
> each time.) I did find the Plug-an-ARM based on
the LPC2129, though.

Oops, my mistake, the PluganARM is LPC2129 based.
We may be looking at other MCUs to use in the
Pluga pinout if there seems to be a demand.

> Eventually, I plan to try out my Forth on the
Tini2106 board I got some
> time ago. I think it will work. I put an Intel
HEX file of the Forth,
> set up for a 10 MHz crystal, on my web site, in
case anyone wants to try
> it out before I get to it. (It is basically the
same as the version
> that works with the Olimex LPC2106 board except
one is set up for a 10
> MHz crystal and the other for a 14.xxxx
crystal.)

This sounds like a pretty good development, please
let me know how it goes.

> Once I try that out, I hope to get a Tini2131 or
Tini2138 and try it
> there.

That will be a great addition too.

> Does the TiniARM (Tini2106) carrier board also
work for the Tini2131?

Yes, the development board works for all the
boards with the Tini pinout, as well as all boards
the Pluga pinout. So you can essentially get one
carrier and try out several ARM 32 bit boards, an
8 bit AVR, and a 16 bit Freescale DSP all on the
same development board.

> Thanks for the information.

> --
> Frank
> Riscy Pygness -- Pygmy Forth for the ARM
> http://pygmy.utoh.org/riscy

nmisale@nmis...
www.newmicros.com
--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.8 -
Release Date: 5/10/2005