Re: PROTEL or EAGLE PCB-CAD - comparisons ???

Started by Leon Heller January 18, 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad Russel" <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 11:08 PM
Subject: Re: [piclist] Re: PROTEL or EAGLE PCB-CAD - comparisons ??? > I have the 80 pin TQFP in Cadence format, I don't think that will help.
> Do you want each member to answer, "no"? > --- Fredrik Krook <> wrote:
> > Noone have yet to answer my question!: Does anyone have the symbol
> > and
> > footprint for the 18F8720 or NOT? And are willing to share it??? If
> > someone
> > had given it to me the designed board would be the raward for letting
> > me use
> > the symbol... The board is to be used as a labboard for 18F8720 and
> > 16F877...

It took me about 10 minutes to create the schematic symbol and footprint
with Pulsonix. I don't feel like inputting all those pin names though;
Microchip should provide the pinout in machine-readable form so that I could
simply import them without any typing. I tried extracting them from the data
sheet PDF file but everything is too messy.

It's an interesting chip which I'd like to play with so I'll probably get
round to completing the part and designing a simple PCB for it. The lead
pitch is too fine for me to make the PCB at home. 8-(

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email:
My low-cost Philips LPC210x ARM development system:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller//lpc2104.html





> > --- Fredrik Krook <fredrik@k...> wrote:
> > > Noone have yet to answer my question!: Does anyone have the
symbol
> > > and
> > > footprint for the 18F8720


> It took me about 10 minutes to create the schematic symbol and
footprint
> with Pulsonix. I don't feel like inputting all those pin names
though;
> Microchip should provide the pinout in machine-readable form so
that I could
> simply import them without any typing. I tried extracting them from
the data
> sheet PDF file but everything is too messy.
>

I looked at the 40 pin chip, very tight pins. 0.5mm spacing and
0.3mm pin width. I would hate to try to solder one of those by hand.

Anyway, I made a rough pin layout in WinQCad in about 10 minutes, and
pulled the PDF from Microchip to see what it looked like. The pdf
has text than can be coppied, so at least you can cut and paste, at
least that should take most of the hassle out of makeing the library
part.

I agree 100% that the chip makers should pick one library format and
then make their chips conform to that library and make them available.

I checked and it appears that one could use a text editor and cut and
paste the names. That would make pin designations much easier.

Dave



i can make it for you using ORCAD Capture.. it is quite easy to make it..
 
Rey desu.

Dave Mucha <d...@juno.com> wrote:

> > --- Fredrik Krook <fredrik@k...> wrote:
> > > Noone have yet to answer my question!: Does anyone have the
symbol
> > > and
> > > footprint for the 18F8720> It took me about 10 minutes to create the schematic symbol and
footprint
> with Pulsonix. I don't feel like inputting all those pin names
though;
> Microchip should provide the pinout in machine-readable form so
that I could
> simply import them without any typing. I tried extracting them from
the data
> sheet PDF file but everything is too messy.I looked at the 40 pin chip, very tight pins.  0.5mm spacing and
0.3mm pin width.  I would hate to try to solder one of those by hand.

Anyway, I made a rough pin layout in WinQCad in about 10 minutes, and
pulled the PDF from Microchip to see what it looked like.  The pdf
has text than can be coppied, so at least you can cut and paste, at
least that should take most of the hassle out of makeing the library
part.

I agree 100% that the chip makers should pick one library format and
then make their chips conform to that library and make them available.

I checked and it appears that one could use a text editor and cut and
paste the names.  That would make pin designations much easier.

Dave


to unsubscribe, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com and follow the instructions Yahoo! Groups Links
To




----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Mucha" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 4:16 AM
Subject: [piclist] Re: Making a 18F8720 chip schematic >
> > > --- Fredrik Krook <fredrik@k...> wrote:
> > > > Noone have yet to answer my question!: Does anyone have the
> symbol
> > > > and
> > > > footprint for the 18F8720 > > It took me about 10 minutes to create the schematic symbol and
> footprint
> > with Pulsonix. I don't feel like inputting all those pin names
> though;
> > Microchip should provide the pinout in machine-readable form so
> that I could
> > simply import them without any typing. I tried extracting them from
> the data
> > sheet PDF file but everything is too messy.
> >
>
> I looked at the 40 pin chip, very tight pins. 0.5mm spacing and
> 0.3mm pin width. I would hate to try to solder one of those by hand.

I've got Metcal soldering equipment (expensive new but I bought a
refurbished system) with a 'mini hoof' tip for drag soldering. I've also got
a stereo microscope. It makes this sort of job fairly easy. Metcal has
details of the technique on their web site.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email:
My low-cost Philips LPC210x ARM development system:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller//lpc2104.html