ICSP doesn't work

Started by upand_at_them August 12, 2004
Okay, what am I doing wrong?!

I've got an Olimex PG-2C. I place a PIC16F628 in the programmer
socket and it programs and verifies just fine, using IC-Prog v1.05.
When I connect the ICSP lines to the PIC and try programming it fails.

Pin 1 of ICSP (Vpp) is connected to PIC pin 4.
Pin 2 of ICSP (Vdd) is connected to PIC pin 14.
Pin 3 of ICSP (GND) is connected to PIC pin 5.
Pin 4 of ICSP (RB7) is connected to PIC pin 13.
Pin 5 of ICSP (RB6) is connected to PIC pin 12.

That is it. I don't have anything else connected to the PIC; the
ICSP lines are connected right to the PIC pins with micro clips.

I've verified voltage levels, continuity, and correct connections
MANY times.

Ugh,
Mike





What are you doing with PGM/RB4 - you probably need to ground it.

Also, at some point you may want to clear the LVP bit in the CONFIG
word.

There could be programmer issues but I have been caught with these 2
items before. --- In , "upand_at_them" <upand_at_them@y...>
wrote:
> Okay, what am I doing wrong?!
>
> I've got an Olimex PG-2C. I place a PIC16F628 in the programmer
> socket and it programs and verifies just fine, using IC-Prog
v1.05.
> When I connect the ICSP lines to the PIC and try programming it
fails.
>
> Pin 1 of ICSP (Vpp) is connected to PIC pin 4.
> Pin 2 of ICSP (Vdd) is connected to PIC pin 14.
> Pin 3 of ICSP (GND) is connected to PIC pin 5.
> Pin 4 of ICSP (RB7) is connected to PIC pin 13.
> Pin 5 of ICSP (RB6) is connected to PIC pin 12.
>
> That is it. I don't have anything else connected to the PIC; the
> ICSP lines are connected right to the PIC pins with micro clips.
>
> I've verified voltage levels, continuity, and correct connections
> MANY times.
>
> Ugh,
> Mike





PIC16F628 have not ICSP feature. you must be use PIC16F628A series...

rtstofer <r...@pacbell.net> wrote:

What are you doing with PGM/RB4 - you probably need to ground it.

Also, at some point you may want to clear the LVP bit in the CONFIG
word.

There could be programmer issues but I have been caught with these 2
items before.--- In p...@yahoogroups.com, "upand_at_them" <upand_at_them@y...>
wrote:
> Okay, what am I doing wrong?!
>
> I've got an Olimex PG-2C.  I place a PIC16F628 in the programmer
> socket and it programs and verifies just fine, using IC-Prog
v1.05. 
> When I connect the ICSP lines to the PIC and try programming it
fails.
>
> Pin 1 of ICSP (Vpp) is connected to PIC pin 4.
> Pin 2 of ICSP (Vdd) is connected to PIC pin 14.
> Pin 3 of ICSP (GND) is connected to PIC pin 5.
> Pin 4 of ICSP (RB7) is connected to PIC pin 13.
> Pin 5 of ICSP (RB6) is connected to PIC pin 12.
>
> That is it.  I don't have anything else connected to the PIC; the
> ICSP lines are connected right to the PIC pins with micro clips.
>
> I've verified voltage levels, continuity, and correct connections
> MANY times.
>
> Ugh,
> Mike



to unsubscribe, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com and follow the instructions


Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 100MB kostenlosem Speicher


Microchip's datasheet for the 16F628 says it supports ICSP.

Mike --- In , Hasan Arslan <harslan74@y...> wrote:
> PIC16F628 have not ICSP feature. you must be use PIC16F628A
series...


Yes, 16f628 support ICSP and i say that ive ever used this features many
times.

Regards,

Wilson Wilson Antonieti Engenharia de Desenvolvimento Tel.: (11) 4223-5117 Fax.:
(11) 4223-5103 Visite nosso site: www.contemp.com.br
PRECIS AO SEU ALCANCE!!!
----- Original Message -----
From: "upand_at_them" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 12:18 PM
Subject: [piclist] Re: ICSP doesn't work > Microchip's datasheet for the 16F628 says it supports ICSP.
>
> Mike > --- In , Hasan Arslan <harslan74@y...> wrote:
> > PIC16F628 have not ICSP feature. you must be use PIC16F628A
> series... > to unsubscribe, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com and follow the
instructions
> Yahoo! Groups Links



At 02:25 AM 8/14/2004, Hasan Arslan wrote:
>PIC16F628 have not ICSP feature. you must be use PIC16F628A series...

Sorry to have to jump in here like this, but what you wrote above is NOT
correct.

PIC12f628 *can* be programmed using ICSP.

dwayne

--
Dwayne Reid <>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd Edmonton, AB, CANADA
(780) 489-3199 voice (780) 487-6397 fax

Celebrating 20 years of Engineering Innovation (1984 - 2004)
.-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-
`-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-'
Do NOT send unsolicited commercial email to this email address.
This message neither grants consent to receive unsolicited
commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial email.



Message
>   PIC16F628 have not ICSP feature. you must be use PIC16F628A series... 
 
nonsense, all F PICs (and nearly all others) are ICSP programmable. 
 
 

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
 



> PIC12f628 *can* be programmed using ICSP.

16F628 yes, 12F629 yes, but 12F628?

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products



At 11:18 AM 8/16/2004, Wouter van Ooijen wrote:
> > PIC12f628 *can* be programmed using ICSP.
>
>16F628 yes, 12F629 yes, but 12F628?

Whoops - slip of the old fingers there. Yep - the original poster was
talking about 16f628, as was I. Been spending too much time with the 12c &
12f family lately.

dwayne

--
Dwayne Reid <>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd Edmonton, AB, CANADA
(780) 489-3199 voice (780) 487-6397 fax

Celebrating 20 years of Engineering Innovation (1984 - 2004)
.-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-
`-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-'
Do NOT send unsolicited commercial email to this email address.
This message neither grants consent to receive unsolicited
commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial email.


I have to ask the question....NOTHING else connected to the PIC? A crystal
and caps, a bypass cap and a pullup resistor on pin 4 are probably
necessary. You don't need many parts, but I believe that PIC must be
basically operational.

Jon

>Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:36:29 -0000
> From: "upand_at_them" <>
>Subject: ICSP doesn't work
>
>Okay, what am I doing wrong?!
>
>I've got an Olimex PG-2C. I place a PIC16F628 in the programmer
>socket and it programs and verifies just fine, using IC-Prog v1.05.
>When I connect the ICSP lines to the PIC and try programming it fails.
>
>Pin 1 of ICSP (Vpp) is connected to PIC pin 4.
>Pin 2 of ICSP (Vdd) is connected to PIC pin 14.
>Pin 3 of ICSP (GND) is connected to PIC pin 5.
>Pin 4 of ICSP (RB7) is connected to PIC pin 13.
>Pin 5 of ICSP (RB6) is connected to PIC pin 12.
>
>That is it. I don't have anything else connected to the PIC; the
>ICSP lines are connected right to the PIC pins with micro clips.
>
>I've verified voltage levels, continuity, and correct connections
>MANY times.
>
>Ugh,
>Mike >