PIC10F competition

Started by Leon Heller August 19, 2004
Electronics Weekly recently held a competition for designs using the new
PIC10F, the results have just been announced:

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID7176&liArticleTypeID=6&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID4&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1

I was one of the winners. 8-)

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller/



Congratulations. :) :) :D

--- Leon Heller <> wrote:

> Electronics Weekly recently held a competition for designs using the
> new
> PIC10F, the results have just been announced:
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID7176&liArticleTypeID=6&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID4&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1
>
> I was one of the winners. 8-)
>
> Leon
> --
> Leon Heller, G1HSM
> http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller/


=====
My software has no bugs, only undocumented features.
_______________________________



Congratulations! Now you have to tell us though, has it improved your
golf game? :D

Trent --- In , "Leon Heller" <leon.heller@d...>
wrote:
> Electronics Weekly recently held a competition for designs using
the new
> PIC10F, the results have just been announced: http://www.electronicsweekly.com/articles/article.
asp?liArticleID7176&liArticleTypeID=6&liCategory
ID=1&liChannelID4&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1
>
> I was one of the winners. 8-)
>
> Leon
> --
> Leon Heller, G1HSM
> http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller/




----- Original Message -----
From: "Trent" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 8:14 AM
Subject: [piclist] Re: PIC10F competition > Congratulations! Now you have to tell us though, has it improved your
> golf game? :D

I don't know much about golf. Whilst I was thinking about a suitable design
for the competition, golf was on the TV and I remembered something about
players keeping their heads still whilst hitting the ball. I will actually
build a prototype but I'll use an ATtiny11 AVR as I've actually got some of
them, and I don't have any PIC10Fs. I prefer the AVR architecture, anyway,
and having some more I/Os will make things easier.

Leon



I don't want to get flamed or start a cpu war but I checked out
AVR's (lightly, looking at info on their website) and it seemed that
the AVR's didn't have any peripherals except timers and AD, did I
miss something? I have heard a lot of people say they liked AVR's
better for architecture. What is better about them? do you not
have to keep track of things like which bank you are accessing or
running code from, stuff like that? Being your standard enginerd
I'd get a few to play with but I didn't see the appeal at first
glance. What'd I miss?

Trent

--- In , "Leon Heller" <leon.heller@d...>
wrote:
>
> I don't know much about golf. Whilst I was thinking about a
suitable design
> for the competition, golf was on the TV and I remembered something
about
> players keeping their heads still whilst hitting the ball. I will
actually
> build a prototype but I'll use an ATtiny11 AVR as I've actually
got some of
> them, and I don't have any PIC10Fs. I prefer the AVR architecture,
anyway,
> and having some more I/Os will make things easier.
>
> Leon




----- Original Message -----
From: "Trent" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 9:11 AM
Subject: [piclist] Re: PIC10F competition > I don't want to get flamed or start a cpu war but I checked out
> AVR's (lightly, looking at info on their website) and it seemed that
> the AVR's didn't have any peripherals except timers and AD, did I
> miss something? I have heard a lot of people say they liked AVR's
> better for architecture. What is better about them? do you not
> have to keep track of things like which bank you are accessing or
> running code from, stuff like that? Being your standard enginerd
> I'd get a few to play with but I didn't see the appeal at first
> glance. What'd I miss?

Some advantages are:
(mostly) 1 clock per instruction
32 registers
no banks
easier ISP

Leon




Congratulations!!! ----- Original Message -----
From: "Leon Heller" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 2:19 AM
Subject: [piclist] PIC10F competition >
> Electronics Weekly recently held a competition for designs using the new
> PIC10F, the results have just been announced:
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID7176&liArticleTypeID=6&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID4&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1
>
> I was one of the winners. 8-)
>
> Leon
> --
> Leon Heller, G1HSM
> http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller/ >
>
> to unsubscribe, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com and follow the
instructions
> Yahoo! Groups Links >
>




On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:39:46 +0100, you wrote:

>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Trent" <>
>To: <>
>Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 9:11 AM
>Subject: [piclist] Re: PIC10F competition >> I don't want to get flamed or start a cpu war but I checked out
>> AVR's (lightly, looking at info on their website) and it seemed that
>> the AVR's didn't have any peripherals except timers and AD, did I
>> miss something? I have heard a lot of people say they liked AVR's
>> better for architecture. What is better about them? do you not
>> have to keep track of things like which bank you are accessing or
>> running code from, stuff like that? Being your standard enginerd
>> I'd get a few to play with but I didn't see the appeal at first
>> glance. What'd I miss?
>
>Some advantages are:
> (mostly) 1 clock per instruction
> 32 registers
> no banks
> easier ISP
>
>Leon
Don't forget a way better instruction set.

Dave Duley



golf swing gadget ... meter er... thingy?... :-) Way cool! Congrats!

btw did you read about the guy who sent over 30 designs ? amazing...

i thought of sending something - a light operated burglar alarm that
would continuously check the level of luminosity against a 10 minute
average - but somewhat lost interest in the process (not that
original either...)

Anyway just to say... well done! :-)

Cheers

Fernando
Portsmouth, UK
--- In , "Leon Heller" <leon.heller@d...>
wrote:
> Electronics Weekly recently held a competition for designs using
the new
> PIC10F, the results have just been announced:
>
> http://www.electronicsweekly.com/articles/article.asp?
liArticleID7176&liArticleTypeID=6&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID4&liF
lavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1
>
> I was one of the winners. 8-)
>
> Leon
> --
> Leon Heller, G1HSM
> http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller/


The AVR has a better instruction set for high level programming
I think. Although the new 18F PIC series has greatly improved
their instruction set giving you access to the stack (also check
out the dsPIC stuff for even better support) and allowing you to
get access directly to FLASH memory for table moves and such.
The AVRs don't segment their data and code spaces requiring
bank switching (again, the 18F does not bank switch the code, but
does bank switch some of the data memory).

The AVR is faster due to a better pipeline I think, but again,
the PIC seems to be catching up there too with the 18F parts.

The one BIG difference that gives the AVRs a negative to me is
that Atmel doesn't hold a candle to Microchip for engineering
support and while Microchip never obsoletes a part, Atmel seems
to change parts and obsolete old lines almost at the drop of a
hat. That and I STILL seem to have problems getting some AVR
parts...

IMO,
DLC --- In , David Duley <dduley@d...> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:39:46 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >
> >----- Original Message -----
> >From: "Trent" <scoobytw@y...>
> >To: <>
> >Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 9:11 AM
> >Subject: [piclist] Re: PIC10F competition
> >
> >
> >> I don't want to get flamed or start a cpu war but I checked out
> >> AVR's (lightly, looking at info on their website) and it seemed that
> >> the AVR's didn't have any peripherals except timers and AD, did I
> >> miss something? I have heard a lot of people say they liked AVR's
> >> better for architecture. What is better about them? do you not
> >> have to keep track of things like which bank you are accessing or
> >> running code from, stuff like that? Being your standard enginerd
> >> I'd get a few to play with but I didn't see the appeal at first
> >> glance. What'd I miss?
> >
> >Some advantages are:
> > (mostly) 1 clock per instruction
> > 32 registers
> > no banks
> > easier ISP
> >
> >Leon
> Don't forget a way better instruction set.
>
> Dave Duley