PicBasic Plus (Crownhills)

Started by mredbautista October 23, 2004


Good Day,
I'm freshmen in PIC's, does anybody used PicBasic plus from
crownhills? How do you find it in compare to C programming?
Regards to all




Hi,

I use their Proton+ product, and I am VERY happy with it, the online forum
and email support is excellent, and it has the most complete command set I
have found in comparison to similar development environments.

Very recently, an all-new version has appeared with VSM simulator (limited
to preconfigured boards), much improved IDE, and a lot more instructions,
such as specific CompactFlash handling. Check it out at
http://www.picbasic.org

As to comparing with programming in C, hardcore programmers will tell you
that if you want to be a pro you have to do it in C, but I don't believe
this to be true. I have bid and won quite a few projects where time was of
the essence, and took a couple of days compared to weeks to develop, only
because others were using C or ASM. Eventually, you can become very fluent
in C, no doubt about it, but if you are starting out, the BASIC-style
instructions make you concentrate on developing the system, not learning a
hard language. I have yet to find a project I have not been able to complete
in Proton+, even if you need low-level stuff you can insert ASM into your
code (as an example, page-erase cycles on the internal flash memory of a
18F452 had to be done in ASM) - this is however the exception.

Best regards, good luck,

Mike

P.S. not affiliated with Crownhill at all, just a really happy costumer.
----- Original Message -----
From: "mredbautista" <>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2004 3:50 PM
Subject: [piclist] PicBasic Plus (Crownhills) > Good Day,
> I'm freshmen in PIC's, does anybody used PicBasic plus from
> crownhills? How do you find it in compare to C programming?
> Regards to all >
> to unsubscribe, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com and follow the
instructions
> Yahoo! Groups Links >
>





Not quite an answer to your question, but I use a 'C' like basic from
xcprod.com.

It is 'C' like in that it is structured, can have local variables and
uses pointers.

Colin

--
cdb, on Monday,1 November,2004

I have always been a few Dendrites short of an Axon and believe me it
shows.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright
until they speak!


Thanks a lot guys for this additional info about Proton+ from Crownhills, this will give additional info as a beginner to which I must focus on.
 
I have an idea to make a 20 LETTERS MOVING MESSAGE BOARD USING PIC16F877 AND SHIFT-REGISTER USING A COMPUTER TERMINAL TO ANYBODY HAVE AN IDEA, CIRCUIT OR SITES ?
Please, send link...
Thank You
Mark

Michael Puchol <m...@sonar-security.com> wrote:
Hi,

I use their Proton+ product, and I am VERY happy with it, the online forum
and email support is excellent, and it has the most complete command set I
have found in comparison to similar development environments.

Very recently, an all-new version has appeared with VSM simulator (limited
to preconfigured boards), much improved IDE, and a lot more instructions,
such as specific CompactFlash handling. Check it out at
http://www.picbasic.org

As to comparing with programming in C, hardcore programmers will tell you
that if you want to be a pro you have to do it in C, but I don't believe
this to be true. I have bid and won quite a few projects where time was of
the essence, and took a couple of days compared to weeks to develop, only
because others were using C or ASM. Eventually, you can become very fluent
in C, no doubt about it, but if you are starting out, the BASIC-style
instructions make you concentrate on developing the system, not learning a
hard language. I have yet to find a project I have not been able to complete
in Proton+, even if you need low-level stuff you can insert ASM into your
code (as an example, page-erase cycles on the internal flash memory of a
18F452 had to be done in ASM) - this is however the exception.

Best regards, good luck,

Mike

P.S. not affiliated with Crownhill at all, just a really happy costumer.
----- Original Message -----
From: "mredbautista" <m...@yahoo.com>
To: <p...@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2004 3:50 PM
Subject: [piclist] PicBasic Plus (Crownhills)> Good Day,
> I'm freshmen in PIC's, does anybody used PicBasic plus from
> crownhills? How do you find it in compare to C programming?
> Regards to all>
> to unsubscribe, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com and follow the
instructions
> Yahoo! Groups Links


to unsubscribe, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com and follow the instructions



----- Original Message -----
From: MARK BAUTISTA <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [piclist] PicBasic Plus (Crownhills) > Thanks a lot guys for this additional info about Proton+ from Crownhills,
this will give additional info as a beginner to which I must focus on.
>
> I have an idea to make a 20 LETTERS MOVING MESSAGE BOARD USING PIC16F877
AND SHIFT-REGISTER USING A COMPUTER TERMINAL TO ANYBODY HAVE AN IDEA,
CIRCUIT OR SITES ?
> Please, send link...
> Thank You
> Mark

Hi Mark,

There is a demo showing an 8x8 multiplexed LED array at
http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB/CONTRIB/index.html This includes circuit,
driving program and movies.

This is programmed using XCSB.

My son built a 32x8 multiplexed LED array (256 LEDs total) as the face of a
digital clock. This uses a 16F876 and 4 shift registers (32 column selects).
It could be extended to use more columns by simply adding more shift
registers. Again this is programmed using XCSB. He has many pictures of the
different stages of the construction. I will ask him to put them, the
circuit diagram and the source code up on the web.

Regards
Sergio Masci

http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB - optimising PIC compiler
FREE for personal non-commercial use



Thanks a lot guys this will help me a lot. I really appreciate your immediate reply.... thanks

sergio masci <s...@xcprod.com> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: MARK BAUTISTA <m...@yahoo.com>
To: <p...@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [piclist] PicBasic Plus (Crownhills)> Thanks a lot guys for this additional info about Proton+ from Crownhills,
this will give additional info as a beginner to which I must focus on.
>
> I have an idea to make a 20 LETTERS MOVING MESSAGE BOARD USING PIC16F877
AND SHIFT-REGISTER USING A COMPUTER TERMINAL TO ANYBODY HAVE AN IDEA,
CIRCUIT OR SITES ?
> Please, send link...
> Thank You
> Mark

Hi Mark,

There is a demo showing an 8x8 multiplexed LED array at
http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB/CONTRIB/index.html This includes circuit,
driving program and movies.

This is programmed using XCSB.

My son built a 32x8 multiplexed LED array (256 LEDs total) as the face of a
digital clock. This uses a 16F876 and 4 shift registers (32 column selects).
It could be extended to use more columns by simply adding more shift
registers. Again this is programmed using XCSB. He has many pictures of the
different stages of the construction. I will ask him to put them, the
circuit diagram and the source code up on the web.

Regards
Sergio Masci

http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB - optimising PIC compiler
FREE for personal non-commercial use


to unsubscribe, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com and follow the instructions