C recommendations?

Started by Eirik Karlsen May 25, 2005
In the past I've written my PIC18 programs in assembly, up to 12Kb...
and it is a helluva job!

The next project is likely to be significantly larger than this.
So I'm pondering about learning C. Have no knowledge of C and has
never typed a C command.

But I know VB and other BASICs and the C code looks somewhat
similar to BASIC so the transition may not be all that awkward.

Can anyone recommend a good Win/IDE C compiler for PIC18?
Online recourses and tutorials for C newbies? --
*******************************************
VISIT MY HOME PAGE:
<http://home.online.no/~eikarlse/index.htm>
LAST UPDATED: 23/08/2003
*******************************************
Regards
Eirik Karlsen


Perhaps wizC? http://www.fored.co.uk

Eirik Karlsen wrote:
> In the past I've written my PIC18 programs in assembly, up to 12Kb...
> and it is a helluva job!
>
> The next project is likely to be significantly larger than this.
> So I'm pondering about learning C. Have no knowledge of C and has
> never typed a C command.
>
> But I know VB and other BASICs and the C code looks somewhat
> similar to BASIC so the transition may not be all that awkward.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good Win/IDE C compiler for PIC18?
> Online recourses and tutorials for C newbies?



Eirik,
  Have you looked at PicBasicPro by Melabs. It is a very nice compiler.
It has been around for a while so is very stable.
C would have some thing that it doesn't have but PBP is very easy to use and if you already know VB then it should be an easy learn for you.
You can do inline asm as well. It is $250. Upgrades are $25 with a new manual each time.
I also have the CCS C compiler but rarely use it now.
Just a thought for you.
----- Original Message -----
From: Eirik Karlsen
To: p...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 4:12 AM
Subject: [piclist] C recommendations?

In the past I've written my PIC18 programs in assembly, up to 12Kb...
and it is a helluva job!

The next project is likely to be significantly larger than this.
So I'm pondering about learning C. Have no knowledge of C and has
never typed a C command.

But I know VB and other BASICs and the C code looks somewhat
similar to BASIC so the transition may not be all that awkward.

Can anyone recommend a good Win/IDE C compiler for PIC18?
Online recourses and tutorials for C newbies?--
*******************************************
VISIT MY HOME PAGE:
<http://home.online.no/~eikarlse/index.htm>
LAST UPDATED: 23/08/2003
*******************************************
Regards
Eirik Karlsen


to unsubscribe, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com and follow the instructions
I've been using CCS C (specifically the PCW toolset) for over a year
now and have been very happy with it. Limited bugs and an active user
forum for questions. Seems to be a very stable compiler as well...

You can find it at http://ccsinfo.com/picc.shtml

For learning C I would recommend "A Book On C" by Kelley and Pohl.
It's a good reference since you already have a programming background.

Cheers -

Jonny

--- In piclist@picl..., Eirik Karlsen <eikarlse@o...> wrote:
> In the past I've written my PIC18 programs in assembly, up to 12Kb...
> and it is a helluva job!
>
> The next project is likely to be significantly larger than this.
> So I'm pondering about learning C. Have no knowledge of C and has
> never typed a C command.
>
> But I know VB and other BASICs and the C code looks somewhat
> similar to BASIC so the transition may not be all that awkward.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good Win/IDE C compiler for PIC18?
> Online recourses and tutorials for C newbies? > --
> *******************************************
> VISIT MY HOME PAGE:
> <http://home.online.no/~eikarlse/index.htm>
> LAST UPDATED: 23/08/2003
> *******************************************
> Regards
> Eirik Karlsen


I've been using Microchip's C compiler for a couple years now, and it also
works well. They now have a demo version available for free.

Harold

> I've been using CCS C (specifically the PCW toolset) for over a year
> now and have been very happy with it. Limited bugs and an active user
> forum for questions. Seems to be a very stable compiler as well...
>
> You can find it at http://ccsinfo.com/picc.shtml
>
> For learning C I would recommend "A Book On C" by Kelley and Pohl.
> It's a good reference since you already have a programming background.
>
--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com



Try www.microchipc.com . Really awesome resource on programming PICs
using C. --- In piclist@picl..., "Harold Hallikainen" <harold@h...> wrote:
> I've been using Microchip's C compiler for a couple years now, and
it also
> works well. They now have a demo version available for free.
>
> Harold
>
> > I've been using CCS C (specifically the PCW toolset) for over a year
> > now and have been very happy with it. Limited bugs and an active user
> > forum for questions. Seems to be a very stable compiler as well...
> >
> > You can find it at http://ccsinfo.com/picc.shtml
> >
> > For learning C I would recommend "A Book On C" by Kelley and Pohl.
> > It's a good reference since you already have a programming background.
> >
> --
> FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com