Philips LPC210x cheap & quick start?

Started by Tilmann Reh May 24, 2004
Hello,

we are looking for development tools (IDE and simple In-Circuit
Debugger) for the Philips LPC210x (ARM7) controller family,
particularly at the lower priced end. At the Philips homepage,
several systems are listed (mainly from the greater vendors like
Keil, Nohau, IAR, Ashling etc.).

Can someone recommend a good package to look at? Maybe there are
some more makers of "smaller" development tools which are not
listed there? (For example, I guess there is a free GCC compiler
available.)

Besides C/C++, are there any compilers for other languages (preferrably
Pascal)?

TIA,

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Ma�.
"Tilmann Reh" <tilmannreh@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Hello, > > we are looking for development tools (IDE and simple In-Circuit > Debugger) for the Philips LPC210x (ARM7) controller family, > particularly at the lower priced end. At the Philips homepage, > several systems are listed (mainly from the greater vendors like > Keil, Nohau, IAR, Ashling etc.). > > Can someone recommend a good package to look at? Maybe there are > some more makers of "smaller" development tools which are not > listed there? (For example, I guess there is a free GCC compiler > available.) > > Besides C/C++, are there any compilers for other languages (preferrably > Pascal)?
I like the Rowley Associates CrossWorks package: http://www.rowley.co.uk It's based on the GNU tools but comes with their own IDE and excellent debugger. It supports the ARM on-chip debug interface - I use it with my own JTAG hardware. There is a very active Yahoo support group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lpc2000/ and a GNUARM group if you want to use the free GNU tools: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnuarm/ Leon
On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:24:42 +0200, Tilmann Reh

See http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk/usbstamp.htm http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk/tiniarm.htm http://www.rowley.co.uk Stephen -- Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@INVALID.mpeltd.demon.co.uk MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time 133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web: http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk - free VFX Forth downloads

The Ashling board (we distribute it,see www.sciopta.de) comes for a reasonable price and is based on the GCC + onboard USB-jtag.
I guess any ARM pascal will work with more or less effort on this chip. But actually, I did not hear about a Pascal compiler for ARM so far. --- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@epost.de instead !
Leon Heller schrieb:

> I like the Rowley Associates CrossWorks package: > http://www.rowley.co.uk > > It's based on the GNU tools but comes with their own IDE and excellent > debugger. It supports the ARM on-chip debug interface - I use it with my own > JTAG hardware.
Thanks, I will have a deeper look at it.
I came across the lpc2000 group by the www.lpc2100.com website, bit it was so unbelievable slooooooow that I couldn't retrieve any useful information. I will give it a second try. (However, web based groups are horrible anyway - a usenet group would be far more efficient...) Thanks, -- Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Ma&#4294967295;. http://www.autometer.de
Stephen Pelc schrieb:

> See > http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk/usbstamp.htm > http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk/tiniarm.htm > http://www.rowley.co.uk
Thanks for the links, the USB-Stamp might be a way to go. However, I would need additional software packages (I don't want to start with FORTH), and I guess a complete package (hard- and software) might be more cost effictive. -- Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Ma&#4294967295;. http://www.autometer.de
42Bastian Schick schrieb:

> The Ashling board (we distribute it,see www.sciopta.de) comes for a > reasonable price and is based on the GCC + onboard USB-jtag.
I don't know exactly which board you are referring to, but the Opella debugger looks like a useful tool for us...
This sounds like bad luck. If anyone comes across one, please let me know! -- Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Ma&#4294967295;. http://www.autometer.de
There is a GNU Pascal compiler: http://www.gnu-pascal.de/gpc/h-index.html It might be feasible to convert it into a cross-compiler for the ARM. Another option is the GNU p2c translator. Actually, that might be the best way. Leon
Notes on GNU pascal are here.. http://www.dimi.uniud.it/labs/documentazione/gnu_pascal/2.0/gpc_toc.html For notes on GNU Modula-2/ARM cross compiler see http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk/Glamorgan/gaius/web/gm2-arm.html and there is http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a9406973/modula2/index.html Here, strannik looks intersting, it's a Multi-language system : Modula-2(Oberon-2), C(C++), Pascal - open source, so could be made into a cross compiler....[knowledge of Russian would help :)] General lists here http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/pascal.shtml http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/modula2.shtml and I see both GNU Modula-2 and GNU pascal recently built for the AMD 64 bit processors. For DEBUG I'd guess GDB would be well advanced. -jg
www.olimex.com/dev Best regards Tsvetan --- PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/pcb) PCB any volume assembly (http://www.olimex.com/pcb/protoa.html) Development boards for ARM, AVR, PIC, and MSP430 (http://www.olimex.com/dev)