news:1135279466.216912.316820@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Hey guys, does anyone know where I can get VHDL/Verilog source for the > Z8001/Z8002 processor? > Thanks for any info! > > -Adam > ajcrm125@gmail.com >
yes, sure! www.zilog.com I think some other entities have it also but not available. the Z8 project at opencores is dead and unuseable, and there is little hope that free z8000 core would exist Antti
On 2005-12-23, Antti Lukats <antti@openchip.org> wrote:

>> Hey guys, does anyone know where I can get VHDL/Verilog source for the >> Z8001/Z8002 processor? > > yes, sure! > www.zilog.com
So you're stating that Zilog has VHDL/Verilog for the Z8000 processor and it's available to the public? -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! All of life is a blur at of Republicans and meat! visi.com
"Grant Edwards" <grante@visi.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On 2005-12-23, Antti Lukats <antti@openchip.org> wrote: > >>> Hey guys, does anyone know where I can get VHDL/Verilog source for the >>> Z8001/Z8002 processor? >> >> yes, sure! >> www.zilog.com > > So you're stating that Zilog has VHDL/Verilog for the Z8000 > processor and it's available to the public? >
I suppose, if you buy 51% of Zilog stock then its public for you :) I stated where to get - not the amount of $$$ that is needed. Antti
The Z8000 was designed before Verilog existed. I doubt that they still even have the schematics. The Z8002 is available in Verilog from www.systemyde.com , but it's not free. (But it's significantly cheaper than buying half of Zilog.) Monte
The Z8000 was designed at the transistor level by Shima, who also had
designed the 4004, 8008, 8080, and Z80. No logic diagram existed when I
got involved in the transfer to second-source AMD.
Those were the days..(1979/80).  Hi, Monte!
Peter Alfke

"Peter Alfke" <alfke@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> The Z8000 was designed at the transistor level by Shima, who also had > designed the 4004, 8008, 8080, and Z80. No logic diagram existed when I > got involved in the transfer to second-source AMD. > Those were the days..(1979/80). Hi, Monte! > Peter Alfke >
Hello Peter, long time no see! Yes, Shima's schematics were a nightmare to try to understand, given that he only drew transistors, and there were only signal names for signals that left a sheet. But if you laid the schematic sheets out so that the signals matched up, you had a complete floorplan of the device. And the transistors on the sheets were good guides for the layout designers when they were doing the layout, because the "density" of schematic transistors was relatively proportional to the layout density. Not like today, when I can describe a few thousand transistors in a couple of pages of Verilog code... I doubt that those schematics survive though, as they predated the era of document control at Zilog. Monte
Looks like it back to sqaure one then.. doing it myself.
Too bad OpenCores doesn't have one.  Maybe when I finish this one I can
submit it and save other poor saps like me the trouble. :-D
-Adam

Adam, if I were you, I would contact Zilog. The Z8000 is their design,
they probably have some legal rights (patents must be expired, since
the Z8000 was introduced around 1980, but there may be copyrights etc
that live much longer).
The Z8000 had many fans, especially in the military markets. Maybe
Zilog will help you, in order to help their frustrated Z8000 users.
You never know. They may become your friend, and you definitely do not
want them as your enemy...
Peter Alfke (at Zilog only 1978-1980)

How would I be violating anything if I made a Z8000 equivalent design
in Verilog/VHDL?  I mean, if they had source for it, and I tweaked it
slightly and called it my own, I can see where that crosses the line.
But reverse engineering a design from its databook and creating a clone
isn't copyright infringement from what I understand.
What do you think?
-Adam