New ARM Cortex Microcontroller Product Family from STMicroelectronics

Started by Bill Giovino June 18, 2007
http://www.microcontroller.com/news/arm_cortex_stm.asp

STMicroelectronics has introduced the new STM32 microcontroller family, based on the
Harvard architecture ARM Cortex.

Article includes a roadmap and a useful chart of the STM32 low power operation, which is
as low as 0.5mA/MHz.

Regards

Bill Giovino
Executive Editor
http://Microcontroller.com

"Bill Giovino" <contact1@microcontroller.com> wrote in message news:XPydnRdhL5k4terbnZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d@comcast.com...
> http://www.microcontroller.com/news/arm_cortex_stm.asp > > STMicroelectronics has introduced the new STM32 microcontroller family, based on the > Harvard architecture ARM Cortex. > > Article includes a roadmap and a useful chart of the STM32 low power operation, which is > as low as 0.5mA/MHz.
Note Cortex-M3 is not a pure Harvard architecture as you claim. Modern Harvard CPUs use a single address space with separate memories for performance, so they get the best of both worlds. Also note TI is a public M3 licensee and planning to upgrade much of their automotive line to use M3. Wilco
Bill Giovino wrote:
> http://www.microcontroller.com/news/arm_cortex_stm.asp > > STMicroelectronics has introduced the new STM32 microcontroller family, based on the > Harvard architecture ARM Cortex. > > Article includes a roadmap and a useful chart of the STM32 low power operation, which is > as low as 0.5mA/MHz.
You might like to add a comment that on present data, the *USB *CAN peripheral list, means NOT at the same time :( They have mapped these to the same pins. Hopefully that is just an error in the data sheet, and no one is really silly enough to actually make silicon, with CAN _and_ USB peripherals, and then wire them so you can only use one at a time!!! -jg
On 19 Giu, 11:40, Jim Granville <no.s...@designtools.maps.co.nz>
wrote:
> Bill Giovino wrote: > >http://www.microcontroller.com/news/arm_cortex_stm.asp > > > STMicroelectronics has introduced the new STM32 microcontroller family, based on the > > Harvard architecture ARM Cortex. > > > Article includes a roadmap and a useful chart of the STM32 low power operation, which is > > as low as 0.5mA/MHz. > > You might like to add a comment that on present data, the > *USB > *CAN > peripheral list, means NOT at the same time :( > > They have mapped these to the same pins.
That's quite wrong. On 64 and 100 pin packages most of the peripherals (including CAN) can be remapped to alternative pins.
Where have you been all this time? ;o) http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch.embedded/browse_thread/thread/528fb9dd63e29756/a16733f4109c7f42?lnk=gst&q=%22ST+announce+their+Cortex-M3+micros%22&rnum=1#a16733f4109c7f42 -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com An IEC 61508 certified real time kernel for safety related systems.
Simone wrote:
> On 19 Giu, 11:40, Jim Granville <no.s...@designtools.maps.co.nz> > wrote: > >>Bill Giovino wrote: >> >>>http://www.microcontroller.com/news/arm_cortex_stm.asp >> >>>STMicroelectronics has introduced the new STM32 microcontroller family, based on the >>>Harvard architecture ARM Cortex. >> >>>Article includes a roadmap and a useful chart of the STM32 low power operation, which is >>>as low as 0.5mA/MHz. >> >>You might like to add a comment that on present data, the >>*USB >>*CAN >>peripheral list, means NOT at the same time :( >> >>They have mapped these to the same pins. > > > That's quite wrong. On 64 and 100 pin packages most of the peripherals > (including CAN) can be remapped to alternative pins.
Please load the current data sheet, and search for CANRX, and show me where in Table 3, it shows ANY alternative mapping, for any package ? We would have a possible application for the 48 pin device, so you are saying the 48 pin part cannot separately map CAN/USB. Can you give a link for that information please ? ST should make that shortfall very clear in their dats sheets. -jg
"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.maps.co.nz> wrote in message
> Simone wrote: >> On 19 Giu, 11:40, Jim Granville <no.s...@designtools.maps.co.nz> >> wrote: >> >>>Bill Giovino wrote: >>> >>>>http://www.microcontroller.com/news/arm_cortex_stm.asp >>> >>>>STMicroelectronics has introduced the new STM32 microcontroller family, >>>>based on the >>>>Harvard architecture ARM Cortex. >>> >>>>Article includes a roadmap and a useful chart of the STM32 low power >>>>operation, which is >>>>as low as 0.5mA/MHz. >>> >>>You might like to add a comment that on present data, the >>>*USB >>>*CAN >>>peripheral list, means NOT at the same time :( >>> >>>They have mapped these to the same pins. >> >> >> That's quite wrong. On 64 and 100 pin packages most of the peripherals >> (including CAN) can be remapped to alternative pins. > > Please load the current data sheet, and search for CANRX, and show me > where in Table 3, it shows ANY alternative mapping, for any package ? > > We would have a possible application for the 48 pin device, so you are > saying the 48 pin part cannot separately map CAN/USB. > Can you give a link for that information please ? > > ST should make that shortfall very clear in their dats sheets. > > -jg >
Just had a very *quick* look at the schematic for the dev board so don't take this as gospel - but it looks like pins 70 and 71 have both USB and CAN Rx and CAN Tx signal options, pins 95 and 96 have both I2C and CAN Rx and CAN Tx signal options. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com An IEC 61508 certified real time kernel for safety related systems.
"Simone" wrote...
> On 19 Giu, 11:40, Jim Granville wrote: > > Bill Giovino wrote: > > > http://www.microcontroller.com/news/arm_cortex_stm.asp > > > > > STMicroelectronics has introduced the new STM32 microcontroller family, based on
the
> > > Harvard architecture ARM Cortex. > > > > > Article includes a roadmap and a useful chart of the STM32 low power operation,
which is
> > > as low as 0.5mA/MHz. > > > > You might like to add a comment that on present data, the > > *USB > > *CAN > > peripheral list, means NOT at the same time :( > > > > They have mapped these to the same pins. > > That's quite wrong. On 64 and 100 pin packages most of the peripherals > (including CAN) can be remapped to alternative pins.
Well, these are the issues that crop up when you choose to write your own original article, instead of just publishing the "official" press release... I've asked for a clarification from ST, as well as a better understanding of the STM32's address mapping. ST's PR and engineering teams work very closely together (there was an Engineer in the room with PR during my briefing) so I expect an answer shortly. -Bill.
On 19 Giu, 21:40, Jim Granville <no.s...@designtools.maps.co.nz>
wrote:
> Simone wrote: > > On 19 Giu, 11:40, Jim Granville <no.s...@designtools.maps.co.nz> > > wrote: > > >>Bill Giovino wrote: > > >>>http://www.microcontroller.com/news/arm_cortex_stm.asp > > >>>STMicroelectronics has introduced the new STM32 microcontroller family, based on the > >>>Harvard architecture ARM Cortex. > > >>>Article includes a roadmap and a useful chart of the STM32 low power operation, which is > >>>as low as 0.5mA/MHz. > > >>You might like to add a comment that on present data, the > >>*USB > >>*CAN > >>peripheral list, means NOT at the same time :( > > >>They have mapped these to the same pins. > > > That's quite wrong. On 64 and 100 pin packages most of the peripherals > > (including CAN) can be remapped to alternative pins. > > Please load the current data sheet, and search for CANRX, and show me > where in Table 3, it shows ANY alternative mapping, for any package ?
There's nothing regarding "alternate function remapping" in the datasheet. This is quite strange.
> We would have a possible application for the 48 pin device, so you are > saying the 48 pin part cannot separately map CAN/USB. > Can you give a link for that information please ?
Reference manual, page 87.
> ST should make that shortfall very clear in their dats sheets.
That's sure.
FreeRTOS.org wrote:
> Just had a very *quick* look at the schematic for the dev board so don't > take this as gospel - but it looks like pins 70 and 71 have both USB and CAN > Rx and CAN Tx signal options, pins 95 and 96 have both I2C and CAN Rx and > CAN Tx signal options.
Thanks Richard - good idea to look further at the Dev PCB sch... On my data sheet, 70/71 [32/33] show as USB/CAN, but i2c is on 92/93[tqfp100] (not your 95/96? ) but both choices also exists on tqfp48 92/93 => 42/43 tqfp48 95/96 => 45/46 tqfp48 - so this may yet still be a candidate.... (contrary to what simone claimed.. ? ) -jg

Memfault Beyond the Launch