Alternative to AVR Butterfly?

Started by mc June 19, 2007
Does anybody make a cheap single-board computer with microcontroller and LCD
display, like an AVR Butterfly except that the LCD is easy to use?  The
Butterfly's LCD is segment-addressable and if you want digits or characters,
you have to create them yourself.

A 5.0-volt power supply (instead of the Butterfly's 3 V) would also be handy
since I have to have 5.0 V for the equipment to which I'm interfacing.

Thanks!

On Jun 19, 4:53 am, "mc" <l...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote:
> Does anybody make a cheap single-board computer with microcontroller and LCD > display, like an AVR Butterfly except that the LCD is easy to use? The > Butterfly's LCD is segment-addressable and if you want digits or characters, > you have to create them yourself. > > A 5.0-volt power supply (instead of the Butterfly's 3 V) would also be handy > since I have to have 5.0 V for the equipment to which I'm interfacing. > > Thanks!
Building the board to your specification is not a problem, but minimum cost of LCD is $2000.
On Jun 19, 8:57 am, linnix <m...@linnix.info-for.us> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 4:53 am, "mc" <l...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote: > > > Does anybody make a cheap single-board computer with microcontroller and LCD > > display, like an AVR Butterfly except that the LCD is easy to use? The > > Butterfly's LCD is segment-addressable and if you want digits or characters, > > you have to create them yourself. > > > A 5.0-volt power supply (instead of the Butterfly's 3 V) would also be handy > > since I have to have 5.0 V for the equipment to which I'm interfacing. > > > Thanks!
ya sure i can build a board according to your specs for as low as $100. please send me your detailed spec for the design
On Jun 19, 12:53 am, "mc" <l...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote:

> display, like an AVR Butterfly except that the LCD is easy to use?
If you are freaked out by the immense complexity of programming the Butterfly's LCD, then add a $5 16x2 alpha LCD to the Butterfly and your job is done. The ATmega169P can run at 5V.
I should add that I'm not looking for an LCD exactly like theirs.  All I
need is the ability to display about 6 digits.

"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message

> If you are freaked out by the immense complexity of programming the > Butterfly's LCD, then add a $5 16x2 alpha LCD to the Butterfly and > your job is done. The ATmega169P can run at 5V.
That's a thought. Or I may use a low-cost alpha LCD and a microcontroller and make my own board.
mc wrote:
> "larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:1182286185.545635.74390@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > > >>If you are freaked out by the immense complexity of programming the >>Butterfly's LCD, then add a $5 16x2 alpha LCD to the Butterfly and >>your job is done. The ATmega169P can run at 5V. > > > That's a thought. Or I may use a low-cost alpha LCD and a microcontroller > and make my own board. > >
Isn't the world of design wonderful.
On Jun 19, 1:49 pm, larwe <zwsdot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 12:53 am, "mc" <l...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote: > > > display, like an AVR Butterfly except that the LCD is easy to use? > > If you are freaked out by the immense complexity of programming the > Butterfly's LCD, then add a $5 16x2 alpha LCD to the Butterfly and > your job is done. The ATmega169P can run at 5V.
$5 16x2? Where? Mouser has a $6 8x2. Almost got it, but no spec sheet to be found *anywhere*, and I'm a beginner... Thanks, Michael
On Jun 21, 1:54 pm, mrdarr...@gmail.com wrote:

> $5 16x2? Where?
Do you want some 16x2 LCDs? How many? Where do you live (country)? 5V or 3.3V? I'm putting together a care package to give to the EE department where I study, I could probably liberate something for you.
On Jun 21, 12:19 pm, larwe <zwsdot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 21, 1:54 pm, mrdarr...@gmail.com wrote: > > > $5 16x2? Where? > > Do you want some 16x2 LCDs? How many? Where do you live (country)? 5V > or 3.3V? I'm putting together a care package to give to the EE > department where I study, I could probably liberate something for you.
Sure, two (in case I break one while studying it), California (United States), 5V, wow, really? Thanks... What country are you in? And why are you giving them to the EE department instead of selling them and donating the proceeds to charity, just curious? Thanks again, Michael mrdarrett@gmail.com