BDM for Metrowerks Codewarrior 2.0

Started by ra July 15, 2003
Hello

Has anyone succeeded in getting Metrowerks Codewarrior 2.0 to debug an
hcs12 board with a self-made BDM consisting of a second hcs12 board
running d-bug12? (this would sort of be equivalent to Technological
Arts' microBDM12SX)

The Metrowerks "True Time Simulator and Debugger" allows one to select
d-bug12 as a connection method in the "Set Target" menu, but then it
only has hc12 as a target cpu choice (there is a file called hc12.cpu,
so I guess one would need an hcs12.cpu settings file ...)

If this is impossible, would be grateful if someone could recommend the
most economical BDM one would need ...

Many thanks in advance
Robert Imhoff



Robert,

Let me answer with a question:

What value do you give the time you would probably need to invest into
chasing BDM problems and missing productive debugging features on the "most
economical BDM"?

If the answer is "quite a bit", then look for a BDM which comes with its
own user-interface software and costs around $2000 or so. It will return
the investment pretty fast, by saving you time. Nohau that I work for makes
one, and so does iSystems, Lauterbach and Noral.
If you are interested in details about the Nohau BDM you can read the
following article at:
http://www.nohau.com/appnotes/hcs12bdm_emulator.pdf

Hope this helps,
Doron
Nohau Corporation
HC12 In-Circuit Emulators
www.nohau.com/emul12pc.html

At 04:33 PM 7/15/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello
>
>Has anyone succeeded in getting Metrowerks Codewarrior 2.0 to debug an
>hcs12 board with a self-made BDM consisting of a second hcs12 board
>running d-bug12? (this would sort of be equivalent to Technological
>Arts' microBDM12SX)
>
>The Metrowerks "True Time Simulator and Debugger" allows one to select
>d-bug12 as a connection method in the "Set Target" menu, but then it
>only has hc12 as a target cpu choice (there is a file called hc12.cpu,
>so I guess one would need an hcs12.cpu settings file ...)
>
>If this is impossible, would be grateful if someone could recommend the
>most economical BDM one would need ...
>
>Many thanks in advance
>Robert Imhoff



Hello Doron

Just from a business point of view you are surely right.
But then there is the intellectual challenge of an elegantly simple
solution.
Since D-Bug12 has the necessary functionality in pod mode, using a
second hcs12 board would be a very useful method for amateur users who
don't have the necessary budget for the dedicated hardware to be able
to experiment with Codewarrior and Processor Expert.

Best regards
Robert

On Dienstag, Jul 15, 2003, at 20:00 Europe/Paris, Doron Fael wrote:

>
> Robert,
>
> Let me answer with a question:
>
> What value do you give the time you would probably need to invest into
> chasing BDM problems and missing productive debugging features on the
> "most
> economical BDM"?
>
> If the answer is "quite a bit", then look for a BDM which comes with
> its
> own user-interface software and costs around $2000 or so. It will
> return
> the investment pretty fast, by saving you time. Nohau that I work for
> makes
> one, and so does iSystems, Lauterbach and Noral.
> If you are interested in details about the Nohau BDM you can read the
> following article at:
> http://www.nohau.com/appnotes/hcs12bdm_emulator.pdf
>
> Hope this helps,
> Doron
> Nohau Corporation
> HC12 In-Circuit Emulators
> www.nohau.com/emul12pc.html
>
> At 04:33 PM 7/15/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Has anyone succeeded in getting Metrowerks Codewarrior 2.0 to debug an
>> hcs12 board with a self-made BDM consisting of a second hcs12 board
>> running d-bug12? (this would sort of be equivalent to Technological
>> Arts' microBDM12SX)
>>
>> The Metrowerks "True Time Simulator and Debugger" allows one to select
>> d-bug12 as a connection method in the "Set Target" menu, but then it
>> only has hc12 as a target cpu choice (there is a file called hc12.cpu,
>> so I guess one would need an hcs12.cpu settings file ...)
>>
>> If this is impossible, would be grateful if someone could recommend
>> the
>> most economical BDM one would need ...
>>
>> Many thanks in advance
>> Robert Imhoff >
> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> ---------------------~-->
> Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your HP at Myinks.com
> Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
> http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cidW06&lp=home/hp.asp
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/arYXfA/.xWGAA/ySSFAA/dN_tlB/TM
> ---------------------------------
> ~->
>
> -------------------- >
> ">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/




I must say that my intention is to use the Cosmic tools I've purchased for
development, but for production programmers I have added the circuitry to my
prototype board. The time doing that was trivial, and I can download DBug12
once I've finished with the prototypes, and uses them as production
programmers. The production programmers only need to download a bootloader.

In the end I can take the opportunity to learned more about HCS12, and if it
does not work out then in addition to Nohau there are also P&E, ComPod12
with NoICE and Starprog, Axiom, Noral and probably many others. Andrew Lohmann AIIE
Design Engineer

Bellingham + Stanley Ltd.
Longfield Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2 3EY, England.
Tel: +44 (0) 1892 500400
Fax: +44 (0) 1892 543115
Website: www.bs-ltd.com ----- Original Message -----
From: "ra" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [68HC12] BDM for Metrowerks Codewarrior 2.0 > Hello Doron
>
> Just from a business point of view you are surely right.
> But then there is the intellectual challenge of an elegantly simple
> solution.
> Since D-Bug12 has the necessary functionality in pod mode, using a
> second hcs12 board would be a very useful method for amateur users who
> don't have the necessary budget for the dedicated hardware to be able
> to experiment with Codewarrior and Processor Expert.
>
> Best regards
> Robert
>
> On Dienstag, Jul 15, 2003, at 20:00 Europe/Paris, Doron Fael wrote:
>
> >
> > Robert,
> >
> > Let me answer with a question:
> >
> > What value do you give the time you would probably need to invest into
> > chasing BDM problems and missing productive debugging features on the
> > "most
> > economical BDM"?
> >
> > If the answer is "quite a bit", then look for a BDM which comes with
> > its
> > own user-interface software and costs around $2000 or so. It will
> > return
> > the investment pretty fast, by saving you time. Nohau that I work for
> > makes
> > one, and so does iSystems, Lauterbach and Noral.
> > If you are interested in details about the Nohau BDM you can read the
> > following article at:
> > http://www.nohau.com/appnotes/hcs12bdm_emulator.pdf
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Doron
> > Nohau Corporation
> > HC12 In-Circuit Emulators
> > www.nohau.com/emul12pc.html
> >
> > At 04:33 PM 7/15/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Has anyone succeeded in getting Metrowerks Codewarrior 2.0 to debug an
> >> hcs12 board with a self-made BDM consisting of a second hcs12 board
> >> running d-bug12? (this would sort of be equivalent to Technological
> >> Arts' microBDM12SX)
> >>
> >> The Metrowerks "True Time Simulator and Debugger" allows one to select
> >> d-bug12 as a connection method in the "Set Target" menu, but then it
> >> only has hc12 as a target cpu choice (there is a file called hc12.cpu,
> >> so I guess one would need an hcs12.cpu settings file ...)
> >>
> >> If this is impossible, would be grateful if someone could recommend
> >> the
> >> most economical BDM one would need ...
> >>
> >> Many thanks in advance
> >> Robert Imhoff
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> > ---------------------~-->
> > Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your HP at Myinks.com
> > Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
> > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cidW06&lp=home/hp.asp
> > http://us.click.yahoo.com/arYXfA/.xWGAA/ySSFAA/dN_tlB/TM
> > ---------------------------------
> > ~->
> >
> > --------------------
> >
> >
> >
> > ">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
> >
> >
> -------------------- >
> ">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >
> --- Email Disclaimer ---
>
> Internet communications are not secure and therefore Bellingham + Stanley
Ltd does
> not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any
views
> or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily
> represent those of Bellingham + Stanley Ltd unless otherwise specifically
stated.
> If this message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please
> notify the sender and then delete the message and any attachments from
your
> computer.
>
> --- End ---
>


--- Email Disclaimer ---

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Bellingham + Stanley Ltd does
not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views
or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of Bellingham + Stanley Ltd unless otherwise specifically stated.
If this message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please
notify the sender and then delete the message and any attachments from your
computer.

--- End ---