microcontroller with ethernet

Started by David Sousa Mendes October 6, 2010
Hello fellows
I've been working with BX24 for quite some time.
Here, at AmberjackSolutions, we are now looking for another kind of
micro controller...
We are looking for one with multiple counters, ADCs, I/O pins, memory
and an Ethernet card included with TCP/IP stack and http support.
The best would be a supplier of several different microcontrollers,
thast we could choose depending on the project in hand...
Any suggestions or comments on this topic are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

David M.

David

One option might be to add a siteplayer module to your
existing product. These are relatively low cost and would add the
networking capabilities with 8 additional I/O's. These can talk with
the BX24 using the SPI interface to transfer data. With a little work,
I would guess they could also talk using the serial ports.

Sincerely,

Greg Finney

From: b... [mailto:b...] On Behalf
Of David Sousa Mendes
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:54 AM
To: b...
Subject: [BasicX] microcontroller with ethernet

Hello fellows
I've been working with BX24 for quite some time.
Here, at AmberjackSolutions, we are now looking for another kind of
micro controller...
We are looking for one with multiple counters, ADCs, I/O pins, memory
and an Ethernet card included with TCP/IP stack and http support.
The best would be a supplier of several different microcontrollers,
thast we could choose depending on the project in hand...
Any suggestions or comments on this topic are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

David M.



I've used WIZ110SR serial to ethernet converter from Saelig.com $25 -
qty 1. Comes with a DB9 and the Ethernet mag jack. There's also the
WIZ105SR for $23 which comes w/o the DB-9 but with the mag jack. Or the
WIZ812MJ for $19 for SPI to Ethernet. I've used the 110SR several time
with great success.

Regards,
Paul

On 10/18/2010 12:02 PM, Greg Finney wrote:
>
> David
>
> One option might be to add a siteplayer module to your
> existing product. These are relatively low cost and would add the
> networking capabilities with 8 additional I/O's. These can talk with
> the BX24 using the SPI interface to transfer data. With a little work,
> I would guess they could also talk using the serial ports.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Greg Finney
>
> From: b...
> [mailto:b... ] On
> Behalf
> Of David Sousa Mendes
> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:54 AM
> To: b...
> Subject: [BasicX] microcontroller with ethernet
>
> Hello fellows
> I've been working with BX24 for quite some time.
> Here, at AmberjackSolutions, we are now looking for another kind of
> micro controller...
> We are looking for one with multiple counters, ADCs, I/O pins, memory
> and an Ethernet card included with TCP/IP stack and http support.
> The best would be a supplier of several different microcontrollers,
> thast we could choose depending on the project in hand...
> Any suggestions or comments on this topic are greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> David M.
>
>
>
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 10.0.1136 / Virus Database: 422/3204 - Release Date: 10/18/10
>
--


Thanks for your suggestions
The thing is those models don't have TCP/IP stack inside and, therefore,
http communication is not possible, right?

David M.
On 10/18/2010 4:30 PM, David Sousa Mendes wrote:
>
> Thanks for your suggestions
> The thing is those models don't have TCP/IP stack inside and, therefore,
> http communication is not possible, right?
>
You are correct - kind of. The Wiznet devices are used to allow a serial
device to communicate over ethernet using tcp or udp. I does not present
the connected device as a web site. That's what the siteplayer does. In
my application, I have an RFID decoder communicating with a ZX-24 which
then sends a TTLserial msg to the wiznet device which converts the msg
to ethernet and sends the msg on to a server program which queries a
database to decide if the rfid tag is allowed to enter. If so, a msg is
sent back over ethernet to the wiznet device which converts the ethernet
msg to TTL serial and passes the msg on to the ZX-24 which the opens the
door. So, I think the answer to your question "Does it have a stack?" is
yes it does (it must or it wouldn't be able to communicate using TCP)
but it is not a webserver.

What are you trying to do?

Hope this helps,
Paul
> David M.
>
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 10.0.1136 / Virus Database: 422/3204 - Release Date: 10/18/10
>
--


Thanks, Paul
Let me explain my application:
We need to measure the speed of an assembly line once every second. This
is achieved by measuring the period of a squared wave.
On this plant, we have a LAN.
Our idea was to use a microprocessor (such as basicx or other) to
measure this speed and then send the data to a database on a server
using http protocol, method GET, like:
http://website.com/data.php?varP...
1 - Is it possible to have such a communication?
2 - In your application, what kind of "server program" do you use to
receive the message received from the wiznet?

Reg
David M.

On 10/18/2010 5:59 PM, David Sousa Mendes wrote:
>
> Thanks, Paul
> Let me explain my application:
> We need to measure the speed of an assembly line once every second. This
> is achieved by measuring the period of a squared wave.
> On this plant, we have a LAN.
> Our idea was to use a microprocessor (such as basicx or other) to
> measure this speed and then send the data to a database on a server
> using http protocol, method GET, like:
> http://website.com/data.php?varP...
> 1 - Is it possible to have such a communication?
>
I really don't know. I haven't tried that.
>
> 2 - In your application, what kind of "server program" do you use to
> receive the message received from the wiznet?
>
The server program was written in VB.net in Visual Studio 2005. I
receives the message from the wiznet where the msg might be decoded to
"rfid tag 0123456789 has been swiped". The server program checks a MySQL
database to see if the rfid tag can be admitted through the door at this
time. If the answer is yes, it sends a msg back to the wiznet which is
essentially sends an ACK (or a NACK if the tag fails the db lookup) and
then logs the request in a table in the gate control. The server program
is trivial, probably the same level of complexity as the php program you
propose.

Since your application is a "one-way" app, a dedicated server program
would probably be more efficient than a webserver. In my case, my
webserver is a Linux box running Apache and the RFID server is a Windoze
app so it has to run on another Windoze machine. In my case, I have a
number of Win machine running 24/7 so placing the server program isn't
an issue.

As an aside, I do a lot of industrial php apps that are hosted by
webservers. This approach solves a lot of problems, ie, everyoone has
the client (IE or Firefox or...) so deployment isn't an issue but at a
cost. Webservers are not efficient and I wouldn't want one to host any
task that was time sensitive. Reporting the current line speed by
querying the db is a different case and one that the webserver is very
well suited for. Gathering the data is not.

Regards,
Paul
> Reg
> David M.
>
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 10.0.1136 / Virus Database: 422/3204 - Release Date: 10/18/10
>
--


I do almost exactly this already, but I send it to the server using a
cellular modem, then its portable, and no land line connections are needed.

*******************************************
Neil Jepsen. B.Sc. M.Sc(Hons). CPL.Member NZAS
Acoustic Consultant.
Jepsen Acoustics& Electronics Ltd
PO Box 1904.
Palmerston North.
New Zealand.
Ph +64 6 357 7539
FAX +64 6 357 7217
Mobile 0274 428 094
www.noiseandweather.co.nz

This e-mail and any attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail message, please telephone or e-mail us immediately, delete this message from your system and do not read, copy, distribute, disclose or otherwise use this e-mail message and any attachments. Although Jepsen Acoustics& Electronics Ltd believes this email and any attachments to be free of any virus or other defect which may affect your computer, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and JAEL does not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
On 19/10/2010 10:59 a.m., David Sousa Mendes wrote:
>
> Thanks, Paul
> Let me explain my application:
> We need to measure the speed of an assembly line once every second. This
> is achieved by measuring the period of a squared wave.
> On this plant, we have a LAN.
> Our idea was to use a microprocessor (such as basicx or other) to
> measure this speed and then send the data to a database on a server
> using http protocol, method GET, like:
> http://website.com/data.php?varP...
> 1 - Is it possible to have such a communication?
> 2 - In your application, what kind of "server program" do you use to
> receive the message received from the wiznet?
>
> Reg
> David M.


HI,

Why do not connect it to the server via a USB interface? There some interface that change RS232 to USB.

Rosarite

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Dubinsky
To: b...
Sent: Mon, Oct 18, 2010 5:21 pm
Subject: Re: [BasicX] microcontroller with ethernet

On 10/18/2010 5:59 PM, David Sousa Mendes wrote:
>
> Thanks, Paul
> Let me explain my application:
> We need to measure the speed of an assembly line once every second. This
> is achieved by measuring the period of a squared wave.
> On this plant, we have a LAN.
> Our idea was to use a microprocessor (such as basicx or other) to
> measure this speed and then send the data to a database on a server
> using http protocol, method GET, like:
> http://website.com/data.php?varP...
> 1 - Is it possible to have such a communication?
>
I really don't know. I haven't tried that.
>
> 2 - In your application, what kind of "server program" do you use to
> receive the message received from the wiznet?
>
The server program was written in VB.net in Visual Studio 2005. I
receives the message from the wiznet where the msg might be decoded to
"rfid tag 0123456789 has been swiped". The server program checks a MySQL
database to see if the rfid tag can be admitted through the door at this
time. If the answer is yes, it sends a msg back to the wiznet which is
essentially sends an ACK (or a NACK if the tag fails the db lookup) and
then logs the request in a table in the gate control. The server program
is trivial, probably the same level of complexity as the php program you
propose.

Since your application is a "one-way" app, a dedicated server program
would probably be more efficient than a webserver. In my case, my
webserver is a Linux box running Apache and the RFID server is a Windoze
app so it has to run on another Windoze machine. In my case, I have a
number of Win machine running 24/7 so placing the server program isn't
an issue.

As an aside, I do a lot of industrial php apps that are hosted by
webservers. This approach solves a lot of problems, ie, everyoone has
the client (IE or Firefox or...) so deployment isn't an issue but at a
cost. Webservers are not efficient and I wouldn't want one to host any
task that was time sensitive. Reporting the current line speed by
querying the db is a different case and one that the webserver is very
well suited for. Gathering the data is not.

Regards,
Paul
> Reg
> David M.
> ----------------------
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 10.0.1136 / Virus Database: 422/3204 - Release Date: 10/18/10
>

--





David,

The SitePlayer does have the full HTTP. You can setup
custom web pages that read/assign values and/or turn I/O ports on or
off. I have three of these on my network being used as alarm censors.

Sincerely,

Greg Finney

Director of IT

ClimateCraft, Inc.

g...@climatecraft.com

Office 405-415-9230 x130

Fax 405-415-9231

________________________________

From: b... [mailto:b...] On Behalf
Of David Sousa Mendes
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 3:31 PM
To: b...
Subject: [BasicX] microcontroller with ethernet

Thanks for your suggestions
The thing is those models don't have TCP/IP stack inside and, therefore,

http communication is not possible, right?

David M.