interfacing with ISA or PCI soundcards

Started by blisca November 2, 2008
Hi
Please,i would like to read something about controlling a soundcard with a
microcontroller or FPGA,but i'm not able to find any link about,can you help
me?
thanks
Diego

On 2 Nov, 08:11, "blisca" <bliscachiocciolinatiscalipuntoit> wrote:
> Hi > Please,i would like to read something about controlling a soundcard with a > microcontroller or FPGA,but i'm not able to find any link about,can you help > me? > thanks > Diego
Why don't you simply interface a codec to your MCU/FPGA? Leon
"Leon" <leon355@btinternet.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> On 2 Nov, 08:11, "blisca" <bliscachiocciolinatiscalipuntoit> wrote: > > Hi > > Please,i would like to read something about controlling a soundcard with
> > microcontroller or FPGA,but i'm not able to find any link about,can you
help
> > me? > > thanks > > Diego > > Why don't you simply interface a codec to your MCU/FPGA? > > Leon
The fact is that i have some old soundcard aavilable,and it looks difficult to find the datasheet of the Ic's mounted on these boards,another reason is that a complete card has the ic mounted,with supplies,decoupling capacitor,look easier to do but it would be possible to use the codec,if if you can suggest me the link,the one i have mounts crystal,creative,yamaha ic's
"blisca" <bliscachiocciolinatiscalipuntoit> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > "Leon" <leon355@btinternet.com> ha scritto nel messaggio > news:a598366a-a59e-4397-926e-f7f9af8ef2bb@r36g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > > On 2 Nov, 08:11, "blisca" <bliscachiocciolinatiscalipuntoit> wrote: > > > Hi > > > Please,i would like to read something about controlling a soundcard
with
> a > > > microcontroller or FPGA,but i'm not able to find any link about,can
you
> help > > > me? > > > thanks > > > Diego > > > > Why don't you simply interface a codec to your MCU/FPGA? > > > > Leon > The fact is that i have some old soundcard aavilable,and it looks
difficult
> to find the datasheet of the Ic's mounted on these boards,another reason
is
> that a complete card has the ic mounted,with supplies,decoupling > capacitor,look easier to do > but it would be possible to use the codec,if if you can suggest me the > link,the one i have mounts crystal,creative,yamaha ic's > >
I forgot to say thanks
On 2 Nov, 12:25, "blisca" <bliscachiocciolinatiscalipuntoit> wrote:
> "Leon" <leon...@btinternet.com> ha scritto nel messaggionews:a598366a-a59=
e-4397-926e-f7f9af8ef2bb@r36g2000prf.googlegroups.com...> On 2 Nov, 08:11, = "blisca" <bliscachiocciolinatiscalipuntoit> wrote:
> > > Hi > > > Please,i would like to read something about controlling a soundcard w=
ith
> a > > > microcontroller or FPGA,but i'm not able to find any link about,can y=
ou
> help > > > me? > > > thanks > > > Diego > > > Why don't you simply interface a codec to your MCU/FPGA? > > > Leon > > The fact is that i have some old soundcard aavilable,and it looks difficu=
lt
> to find the datasheet of the Ic's mounted on these boards,another reason =
is
> that a complete card =A0has the ic mounted,with supplies,decoupling > capacitor,look easier to do > but it would be possible to use the codec,if if you can suggest me the > link,the one i have mounts crystal,creative,yamaha ic's
The Si3000 is very easy to use, but only suitable for speech. I've used with a dsPIC. Leon
On Nov 2, 3:11 am, "blisca" <bliscachiocciolinatiscalipuntoit> wrote:
> Hi > Please,i would like to read something about controlling a soundcard with a > microcontroller or FPGA,but i'm not able to find any link about,can you help > me?
Running ISA cars from an an FPGA or micro implementing/emulating that bus interface is a reasonable project. Running PCI ones generally is not, unless the device you want to use has real PCI (master) interface capability (which is not unheard of, but it is more expensive. Also you'd have to be more careful of signal integrity). To pursue the ISA path you will need some background information on the workings of the ISA bus and a programmers manual (or well documented driver source code) for the board you are interested in. While you comment about power supplies and the like being provided is valid, do keep in mind that an ISA card is going to present a parallel interface (and probably be an ancient codec IC) while a modern codec IC will have a serial interface that means far fewer wires going to your fpga board.
http://www.google.com/search?q=sound+blaster+yamaha+programming&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a Try the gamedev.net links.
"Paul Urbanus" <urbpublic@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> blisca wrote: > > Hi > > Please,i would like to read something about controlling a soundcard with
> > microcontroller or FPGA,but i'm not able to find any link about,can you
help
> > me? > > thanks > > Diego > > > > >
http://www.google.com/search?q=sound+blaster+yamaha+programming&ie=utf-8&oe= utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
> > Try the gamedev.net links.
Thanks for your help , cs_posting and Paul .