Hardware handholding

Started by mitakeet November 3, 2008
I am working on a prototype chip using electron beam lithography near the
technique's limits (10 nm wires).  I need to bridge from the chip to the PC
world and need some embedded hardware.  I am a biochemist and programmer
(with an MBA, so I am a 'suite' who wants to grab a soldering iron) and
while I have studied IC fabrication for a number of years, much of the
stuff is still pure voodoo to me.  The hardware I need will probably have
to have an FPGA to actually communicate with my prototype and basically
will need to monitor changes in current (I imagine on the level of pico
amps, but lack enough knowledge to make this much more than a guess).  The
main caveat is that there can be no permanent connection to the prototype
chip as particularly during development (and even if it makes it to
production, but I suppose it can use a package with pins) I will be going
through a lot of prototypes and will need to be able to quickly swap the
chips.  In total the minimum number of contacts will be 10, though 100 is
my goal.

What I am looking for is someone who can tell me in small words and baby
talk what I need to do to take some sort of embedded hardware kit, connect
it to my prototype chip such that I can easily replace it as needed, then
get me started on the programming to detect and monitor the current
changes, cache the information, then allow for retrieval from my
workstation.  I have more than 10 years of programming experience and
consider myself an expert in C and C++, but have never done any embedded
programming and never used a soldering iron except for some trivial fixes.

I don't have much of a budget for this project, so it might be better
suited for a graduate student or someone more curious than financially
motivated.  I am in the Washington, DC metropolitan area, so clearly
someone local would be easier, but I think that it may be practical to do
this remotely with occasional phone calls.

While this is very low budget, it does have huge economic potential so the
usual NDA and consulting restrictions will apply.  If you are curious but
not so willing to work for peanuts you might still be interested in a bit
of a gamble:  if the prototyping is successful the revenue potential within
the next 12-18 months is such that full-time employment and/or extensive
consulting agreements are quite possible as undoubtedly several versions of
the embedded hardware will need to be made and the commercial product will
require embedded hardware as well as ASIC design.

If you are interested, please contact me at mitakeet – at – sol –
dash – biotech – dot – com (the 'dash' really is a dash) and let me
know what your qualifications are and what you would expect for
compensation.

Thank you all for your time!

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 07:57:52 -0600, mitakeet wrote:

> I am working on a prototype chip using electron beam lithography near > the technique's limits (10 nm wires). I need to bridge from the chip to > the PC world and need some embedded hardware. I am a biochemist and > programmer (with an MBA, so I am a 'suite' who wants to grab a soldering > iron) and while I have studied IC fabrication for a number of years, > much of the stuff is still pure voodoo to me. The hardware I need will > probably have to have an FPGA to actually communicate with my prototype > and basically will need to monitor changes in current (I imagine on the > level of pico amps, but lack enough knowledge to make this much more > than a guess). The main caveat is that there can be no permanent > connection to the prototype chip as particularly during development (and > even if it makes it to production, but I suppose it can use a package > with pins) I will be going through a lot of prototypes and will need to > be able to quickly swap the chips. In total the minimum number of > contacts will be 10, though 100 is my goal. > > What I am looking for is someone who can tell me in small words and baby > talk what I need to do to take some sort of embedded hardware kit, > connect it to my prototype chip such that I can easily replace it as > needed, then get me started on the programming to detect and monitor the > current changes, cache the information, then allow for retrieval from my > workstation. I have more than 10 years of programming experience and > consider myself an expert in C and C++, but have never done any embedded > programming and never used a soldering iron except for some trivial > fixes. > > I don't have much of a budget for this project, so it might be better > suited for a graduate student or someone more curious than financially > motivated. I am in the Washington, DC metropolitan area, so clearly > someone local would be easier, but I think that it may be practical to > do this remotely with occasional phone calls. > > While this is very low budget, it does have huge economic potential so > the usual NDA and consulting restrictions will apply. If you are > curious but not so willing to work for peanuts you might still be > interested in a bit of a gamble: if the prototyping is successful the > revenue potential within the next 12-18 months is such that full-time > employment and/or extensive consulting agreements are quite possible as > undoubtedly several versions of the embedded hardware will need to be > made and the commercial product will require embedded hardware as well > as ASIC design. > > If you are interested, please contact me at mitakeet – at – sol – dash – > biotech – dot – com (the 'dash' really is a dash) and let me know what > your qualifications are and what you would expect for compensation. > > Thank you all for your time!
I wouldn't work on something like this under the terms you present. Use that MBA of yours and ask if you'd chase "lots of work later" in return for free or heavily discounted work now. And if you do find someone to work on your terms, will you be saying "tee hee"? Or will you be saying "oh, this one must be a fool."? And if the latter, why do you want them working for you? Perhaps you should look up "equity" in the dictionary. Even then, every consultant in the world gets offered equity, so expect that if you do attract some talent it'll be a frustrated (or laid-off) 9-5er. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
I am the great scientist. I have the tremendous top secret idea that=20
will change the world. I need someone to explain me 2+2=3D4, so we can ge=
t=20
the project started. I have no money but I promise the royal rewards and =

honors: you may be hired as the oarsman for my galley. How about that?

VLV

mitakeet wrote:

> [...]
it
> of a gamble: if the prototyping is successful the revenue potential wi=
thin
> the next 12-18 months is such that full-time employment and/or extensiv=
> consulting agreements are quite possible as undoubtedly several version=
s of
> the embedded hardware will need to be made and the commercial product w=
ill
> require embedded hardware as well as ASIC design. >=20 > If you are interested, please contact me at mitakeet =F2=C0=D3 at =F2=C0=
=D3 sol =F2=C0=D3
> dash =F2=C0=D3 biotech =F2=C0=D3 dot =F2=C0=D3 com (the 'dash' really i=
s a dash) and let me
> know what your qualifications are and what you would expect for > compensation. >=20 > Thank you all for your time! >=20 >=20
Yes, I know all about equity.  Enough to know it is nonsensical to pay
someone equity potentially worth millions (and clearly, just as potentially
worth nothing) for a few hours worth of work.  If a few hundred bucks are
too little to pay for some handholding for someone who has demonstrated the
willingness to learn from books then I guess I get to go through the
learning curve myself.  On the other hand, if the handholding is successful
and the product comes to fruition then why shouldn't I be happy to stick
with a proven quantity and either hire directly or continue consulting with
the handhold-ee?  Likely an experience and well established consultant gets
an offer to trade effort on spec often, and I am sure that many such
opportunities lead to nothing, but if just a small percentage result in
decades long consulting relationships at top dollar, who is the fool:  the
one taking the offer and chancing wasting his time or the one who ignores
the offer and thus the potential for the business relationship?

If I had a budget, I would simply go to a hardware company and have the
work done and not spend my time dealing like this.  This is an opportunity
for someone who might be interested in an intellectual problem for some
pay, perhaps to make it worthwhile for even a professional, well
established consultant (and particularly for a student, which is why I
pointed that out) that has a chance of more to come, not an offer of no pay
now and stock that statistically is likely to be worthless.

Oh, as a btw, I have often done work free on spec (as a biochemist,
programmer and MBA), often hundreds of hours, so to me the idea of actually
getting paid for work that might lead to more is something I would expect
lots of people to be interested in.

> Oh, as a btw, I have often done work free on spec (as a biochemist, > programmer and MBA), often hundreds of hours, so to me the idea of actually > getting paid for work that might lead to more is something I would expect > lots of people to be interested in.
Yes, if you come to San Diego, I will hold your hand. Or if you paid my expenses to DC, I will hold both your hands. Your biggest challenge is to build the semiconductor sensor to detect pico amps. Forget the FPGA, it's not likely critical enough for your project.
mitakeet wrote:
> Yes, I know all about equity. Enough to know it is nonsensical to pay > someone equity potentially worth millions (and clearly, just as potentially > worth nothing) for a few hours worth of work. If a few hundred bucks are > too little to pay for some handholding for someone who has demonstrated the > willingness to learn from books then I guess I get to go through the > learning curve myself. On the other hand, if the handholding is successful > and the product comes to fruition then why shouldn't I be happy to stick > with a proven quantity and either hire directly or continue consulting with > the handhold-ee? Likely an experience and well established consultant gets > an offer to trade effort on spec often, and I am sure that many such > opportunities lead to nothing, but if just a small percentage result in > decades long consulting relationships at top dollar, who is the fool: the > one taking the offer and chancing wasting his time or the one who ignores > the offer and thus the potential for the business relationship?
The first fool is the one who offers value for nothing. The second fool is the person who hires the first fool, thinking that financial foolishness doesn't extend to technical foolishness. So again, you have an MBA and you're saying "give me a bunch of value in return for nothing, and _maybe_ later I'll give you an opportunity to give me a lot more value in return for your going rate". So you're offering something that you _know_ that each and every one of your MBA profs would council _you_ against signing up for, yet you expect that you'll find someone who has some magic combination of technical smarts and financial stupidity. I suppose it'll work if you're charismatic in person.
> If I had a budget, I would simply go to a hardware company and have the > work done and not spend my time dealing like this. This is an opportunity > for someone who might be interested in an intellectual problem for some > pay, perhaps to make it worthwhile for even a professional, well > established consultant (and particularly for a student, which is why I > pointed that out) that has a chance of more to come, not an offer of no pay > now and stock that statistically is likely to be worthless.
If the stock is likely worthless, then how worthwhile is the promise of future work later? For me, the likelihood that the future work would be worth anything is (likelihood of company succeeding) * (likelihood that you'll come through on your vague promises) - (likelihood that I'll have to work as much for pay from you as from anyone else). That comes out to something less than zero, while the value of equity works out to (% of company that you're staking) * (likely value of company in the end) * (value adjustment for time spent getting there). _That_ computation always comes out to a positive number; the only quibbling is how small it is. Now, a signed note that _promises_ that if you gross more than so many $$ a year _guarantees_ work at higher than your putative contractor's going rate, or just plain cash -- that gets closer to the equity value equation, and you don't have to call it "equity". Mostly because it gives your contractor something he can show to a judge when you or your successors decide that you didn't really promise anything, after all. This has to be MBA logic at work "I'll offer them something that's worth even less than equity, then say they don't want equity because I have no faith in my ability to make it worth anything. That'll convince them." That's the sort of argument that flies when you're addressing a room full of people who you can fire if they point out the logical deficiencies in your argument, but you're swimming upstream if you think it's going to work with someone whose been successfully running a small business. Getting your hypothetical student, or consultant who's just starting out may work. In that case the value equation for them is "a bit of money now and something to put on my resume". But even then, I wouldn't counsel _anyone_ to work for vague promises of more work -- unless it's concrete and signed, it's just gas. Further, were I you I wouldn't trust the technical prowess of someone who would agree to provide so much for so little, unless _they_ could show _me_ the value that they're getting beyond the crummy pay that I could scrape up.
Good for you. Did you get more out of it than you put in, or is this why you don't have any $$ to pay your way? -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
Tim Wescott wrote:

> That's the sort of argument that flies when you're addressing a room > full of people who you can fire if they point out the logical > deficiencies in your argument, but you're swimming upstream if you think > it's going to work with someone whose been successfully running a small > business.
LOL...
>Your biggest challenge is to build the semiconductor sensor to detect >pico amps. Forget the FPGA, it's not likely critical enough for your >project. >
Despite your sarcasm, at least you provide something more useful than complaining about what a stupid idea my post is. As I mentioned, I have no clue how practical even detecting the change in current is. I will have a 10 nm or so channel (3-5 nm deep) with a fluid that is mostly water with some number of charged molecules flowing through it. The charged molecules will be around 1 nm in diameter. My goal is to detect the change in current flow between two conductors that are broken by the channel. I know this sort of thing can easily be done on the macro level (conductivity meter), but I also know that things get strange when you get down to the nm and single molecule level. I also know that researchers have been able to put 'patch clamps' on the surface of a cell membrane and measure the movement of charged molecules through pores in the membrane. I have read anecdotal reports that some researchers have been able to isolate single channels in membranes, hence measure the charged molecules moving through a single pore (which, btw, would be smaller than 1 nm), but haven't been able to put my hands on the primary literature which might lead me to the technical means they used to detect the changes. What I have read makes me think that if I take a lead from an FPGA and connect it with my chip that the level of current might not be so high that it causes the fluid to boil. If it is that simple then doing what I need should be straightforward. If getting that to work is highly unlikely then it indicates that the initial prototype might need embedded circuitry just to know if it has any chance of success, greatly complicating prototyping within my budget. So, is there a chance for helpful advice from what I thought was a forum devoted to embedded hardware or just more unhelpful comments about how asking for help and being willing to pay for it is a bad thing and subject to ridicule?
On Nov 3, 10:27 am, "mitakeet" <mitak...@sol-biotech.com> wrote:
> >Your biggest challenge is to build the semiconductor sensor to detect > >pico amps. Forget the FPGA, it's not likely critical enough for your > >project. > > Despite your sarcasm, at least you provide something more useful than > complaining about what a stupid idea my post is. > > As I mentioned, I have no clue how practical even detecting the change in > current is. I will have a 10 nm or so channel (3-5 nm deep) with a fluid > that is mostly water with some number of charged molecules flowing through > it. The charged molecules will be around 1 nm in diameter. My goal is to > detect the change in current flow between two conductors that are broken by > the channel. I know this sort of thing can easily be done on the macro > level (conductivity meter), but I also know that things get strange when > you get down to the nm and single molecule level.
Hence, your difficulties will be the nano analog domain, not digital.
> > What I have read makes me think that if I take a lead from an FPGA and > connect it with my chip that the level of current might not be so high that > it causes the fluid to boil.
No difference with taking a lead from a uC or, parallel pin or serial control pin. Talking FPGA is just irrelevant at best.
>No difference with taking a lead from a uC or, parallel pin or serial >control pin. Talking FPGA is just irrelevant at best. >
Since I have many (minimum 10, ideally at least 100) independent conductors to measure simultaneously, I thought the ability of FPGAs to be programmable to operate in parallel would be better than having a single processor sequentially check each conductor. Even presuming there aren&rsquo;t problems with propagation delays (I have been warned that such delays will probably put a ceiling on the speed of the monitoring processor), if the duration between each iteration of the serial checking is too large then there exists the possibility to miss a signal. I figure to have a reliable chance to detect the passing of the molecule I need to check at least 10 MHz, probably 100 MHz. To be able to differentiate signal from noise cleanly I will need to repeatedly measure that the same molecule is between the conductors several times before it passes through the detection area. I will have some influence on how long the molecule will be in the conductor area, but the overall throughput is totally dependant on the rate at which the molecules move, so faster measurements are always going to be better, at least until some other rate limiting step is reached. However, your suggestion of using something less complicated than an FPGA as a proof of concept is well taken. How often might I be able to sample on a serial pin or something equivalent? Thanks for your input!

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference