GPS and Barometric pressure sensor recommendation please

Started by Sonoman August 2, 2004
Hi all:
I am in the process of designing a project for school. This project
requires a GPS sensor and a barometric pressure sensor to determine
position in space. I have not much knowledge about sensors yet but I am
trying. I have spent several hours googling a few terms and so far I
came up with the Garmin 18 GPS sensor, and I am still not sure which
barometric pressure sensor I will use. These sensors have to communicate
to a basic stamp 2pe microprocessor. My question to you guys is: do you
know of any sensors (GPS and/or barometric) that I should research for
this project? Or may be you could tell me from where I could scavange
these sensors. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sonoman
To make a cargo bomb, you really need only one of these variables. Why do you want to know both? -- ------------------------------------------------------------ Creepy, Soulless Gigolo for President ? NOT ! --------------------------------------------- THK is one weird, weird something.
> I am in the process of designing a project for school. This project > requires a GPS sensor and a barometric pressure sensor to determine
You ARE aware that GPS will give you altitude for free, right?
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:

>>I am in the process of designing a project for school. This project >>requires a GPS sensor and a barometric pressure sensor to determine > > > You ARE aware that GPS will give you altitude for free, right?
It's less accurate than position, and that's bad enough in many situations. Paul Burke
Bryan Hackney wrote:
> > To make a cargo bomb, you really need only one of these variables. Why > do you want to know both? >
It really is the end of an age of innocence. From now on do we only help those who use their Real Name and email address??!! - RM
Personally I haven't used any, but I heard quite positive things about
the Lassen SQ from Trimble (http://www.trimble.com/lassensq.html).
Regards and good success!
johannes
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:
>>I am in the process of designing a project for school. This project >>requires a GPS sensor and a barometric pressure sensor to determine > > > You ARE aware that GPS will give you altitude for free, right?
No, I was not aware. As far as I know it will give you longitude and latitude which is like the X and Y axis. That sounds very interesting and I will look into it. Thanks for the tip.
Paul Burke <paul@scazon.com> wrote in message news:<2n6kekFso8bfU2@uni-berlin.de>...
> Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote: > > >>I am in the process of designing a project for school. This project > >>requires a GPS sensor and a barometric pressure sensor to determine > > > > > > You ARE aware that GPS will give you altitude for free, right? > > It's less accurate than position, and that's bad enough in many situations. > > Paul Burke
I use a GPS unit that has a quoted accuracy of 4 metres for 50% of the time. This corresponds to the true position being within a ~50 square metre area centred on the measurement result. If you consider that the surface area of the earth being some 510*10^12 square metres then localising your position to 1 part in 10^13 is not bad. S-V
Sonoman <billgates@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote: > >>I am in the process of designing a project for school. This project > >>requires a GPS sensor and a barometric pressure sensor to determine > > > > > > You ARE aware that GPS will give you altitude for free, right?
And, not to forget, an unbelievably accurate clock, too. Physicists have been known to use a GPS receiver in experiments weighing thousands of tonnes (i.e. which are essentially impossible to move even if you were to try rather hard) just because they wanted to know the exact time.
> No, I was not aware. As far as I know it will give you longitude and > latitude which is like the X and Y axis.
Most "consumer-grade" GPS receivers do indeed work like that. They don't trust themselves enough (or can't afford the increased amount of processing) to extract altitude, too. Instead, they use a reference ellipsoid or terrain altitude information as a constraint to extract the (lon/lat) position. -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:27:08 -0400, Sonoman <billgates@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I am in the process of designing a project for school. This project > requires a GPS sensor and a barometric pressure sensor to determine > position in space.
Vaisala radiosonde might be what you are looking for. It contains temperature (two of them), humidity and barometric sensors. RS80 variety also comes with 8 channel GPS transiever (it transmits Doppler shifts, so you'd need to figure out how to obtain the position from them). They are quite cheap on ebay, around 10 quid. The links to check: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vaisala+rs80+radiosonde http://www.zfx.de/sonde/ Vadim

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference