Looking for cheap Ethernet/MCU with temperature

Started by Mark A. Odell July 30, 2004
A colleague of mine is looking for a cheap microcontroller board with
Ethernet and a temperature sensor. Any suggestions? My google searches so
far haven't hit the mark but I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

--
- Mark ->
--
Why not use a thermistor in an RC circuit with something like this? http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/rcm3700/
How about one of these with a dallas temperature chip ? It's a bit over the top for a temperature sensor but it works and is reasonably priced in small qty.. :) http://www.olimex.com/dev/msp-easyweb2.html
"Mark A. Odell" <odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns95366FD8DBC75CopyrightMarkOdell@130.133.1.4>...
> A colleague of mine is looking for a cheap microcontroller board with > Ethernet and a temperature sensor. Any suggestions? My google searches so > far haven't hit the mark but I'll keep looking. > > Thanks.
I don't know what price range 'cheap' is, but here is link to a board that fits the Ethernet + Temperature Sensor requirement. It based on Hitachi's H8s family so there is good support by the GCC toolchain. The board runs about $125USD http://www.nuhorizons.com/services/development/webserver/evalboard.html
Mark, We recently used this board on a project. It has a Mot 8252 Coldfire as the processor. I think it was $150.00. Includes ethernet, CAN, temp sensor, etc. http://www.em.avnet.com/ctf_shared/evk/df2df2usa/Motorola_Coldfire_Evaluation_Kit_-_Product_Brief_061703F.pdf -- Scott ExoTech R&D, Inc.
"Mark A. Odell" <odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote in

> A colleague of mine is looking for a cheap microcontroller board with > Ethernet and a temperature sensor. Any suggestions? My google searches > so far haven't hit the mark but I'll keep looking.
Thanks for your replies. I suspect that my buddy's going to have to modify a board like the Rabit board. The cost goal was more like $25. I'm sorry I didn't specify that initially. Regards. -- - Mark -> --
Mark A. Odell <odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote:
: "Mark A. Odell" <odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote in
: news:Xns95366FD8DBC75CopyrightMarkOdell@130.133.1.4:

:> A colleague of mine is looking for a cheap microcontroller board with
:> Ethernet and a temperature sensor. Any suggestions? My google searches
:> so far haven't hit the mark but I'll keep looking.

: Thanks for your replies. I suspect that my buddy's going to have to modify
: a board like the Rabit board. The cost goal was more like $25. I'm sorry I
: didn't specify that initially.

: Regards.

Pickup a Dlink DI-614+ (Rev A, 2 ant. version) off of Ebay for $20-$20. Put the SNDS100 (S3C4510B)
version of uCLinux on it. Use the I2C pads to put a ADC on it. The board has
pads for a I2C RTC and memory storage already. Write app/driver. :)

Set the ARM tools up on Linux or Windows (cygwin) and get the uClinux source.

The Compaq CP2E/2W and the CompUSA 4 port router runs uClinux too.

--
Greg Holdren
greg (dot) holdren (at) <initials of company> (dot) com

"Greg Holdren" <gregh@wx.rose.hp.com> wrote in message
> Mark A. Odell <odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote: > : "Mark A. Odell" <odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote in > : news:Xns95366FD8DBC75CopyrightMarkOdell@130.133.1.4: > > :> A colleague of mine is looking for a cheap microcontroller board with > :> Ethernet and a temperature sensor. Any suggestions? My google searches > :> so far haven't hit the mark but I'll keep looking. > > : Thanks for your replies. I suspect that my buddy's going to have to
modify
> : a board like the Rabit board. The cost goal was more like $25. I'm sorry
> : didn't specify that initially. > > : Regards. > > Pickup a Dlink DI-614+ (Rev A, 2 ant. version) off of Ebay for $20-$20.
Put the SNDS100 (S3C4510B)
> version of uCLinux on it. Use the I2C pads to put a ADC on it. The board
has
> pads for a I2C RTC and memory storage already. Write app/driver. :) > > Set the ARM tools up on Linux or Windows (cygwin) and get the uClinux
source.
> > The Compaq CP2E/2W and the CompUSA 4 port router runs uClinux too. > > > -- > Greg Holdren > greg (dot) holdren (at) <initials of company> (dot) com >
You do not even need to go that far - there are inexpensive I2C temperature sensors for under EUR 1, e.g. Analog Devices AD 7415. Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi