10/100 Ethernet Chips

Started by Josh Fitzgerald July 27, 2004
I am seeking recommendations for 10/100 Ethernet controller chips for
the embedded environment. The microcontroller I will be using is the
PIC18F8720, an 8-bit chip.

Thanks.
Here's a couple of good links ... http://www.edtp.com http://www.beyondlogic.org/etherip/ip.htm EDTP has some good stuff for PIC/Ethernet development. Although I don't use PIC, I have the NICki board (CS8900) running with Atmel AVR and Motorola microcontrollers (in 8-bit polling mode). Regards, -Pete. -- + | http://home.comcast.net/~pete.gray/ -
Josh Fitzgerald wrote:

> I am seeking recommendations for 10/100 Ethernet controller chips for > the embedded environment. The microcontroller I will be using is the > PIC18F8720, an 8-bit chip.
You suppose that PIC will be able to handle data at anything close to wirespeed at 100 megabit/sec?
In article <Vo6dnTWcf-_EbZvcRVn-qQ@omsoft.com>, jstewart@jkmicro.com
says...
> Josh Fitzgerald wrote: > > > I am seeking recommendations for 10/100 Ethernet controller chips for > > the embedded environment. The microcontroller I will be using is the > > PIC18F8720, an 8-bit chip. > > You suppose that PIC will be able > to handle data at anything close to > wirespeed at 100 megabit/sec? > >
No, but it sure cuts down on the time on wire for the packets. Could be important if there were a lot of units in the net and a lot of small packets to move about. As long as you don't need sustained through put an 8 bitter can still benefit from the above. Jim
No way,
An 8-bit microprocessor will not use the whole 100Mbps network
bandwidth, but its not suppose to anyway.  Most network device use
about 10% of the total network bandwidth allowing other devices to
also use the network.

Tony

On 27 Jul 2004 16:44:17 -0700, sansuikyo@gmail.com (Josh Fitzgerald)
wrote:

>I am seeking recommendations for 10/100 Ethernet controller chips for >the embedded environment. The microcontroller I will be using is the >PIC18F8720, an 8-bit chip. > >Thanks.
Use the Wiznet W3100A. It handles the TCP/IP stack itself for up to 4 connections. You only have to handle packets addressed to you. Regards Anton Erasmus
Anton Erasmus wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2004 16:44:17 -0700, sansuikyo@gmail.com (Josh Fitzgerald) > wrote: > > >>I am seeking recommendations for 10/100 Ethernet controller chips for >>the embedded environment. The microcontroller I will be using is the >>PIC18F8720, an 8-bit chip. >> >>Thanks. > > > > Use the Wiznet W3100A. It handles the TCP/IP stack itself for up to > 4 connections. You only have to handle packets addressed to you.
Do you have a link to a US distributor and an approximate volume price? I dug around and could only find the .kr website.
> In article <Vo6dnTWcf-_EbZvcRVn-qQ@omsoft.com>, jstewart@jkmicro.com > says... > > Josh Fitzgerald wrote: > > > > > I am seeking recommendations for 10/100 Ethernet controller chips for > > > the embedded environment. The microcontroller I will be using is the > > > PIC18F8720, an 8-bit chip. > > > > You suppose that PIC will be able > > to handle data at anything close to > > wirespeed at 100 megabit/sec? > > > > > No, but it sure cuts down on the time on wire for the packets. > Could be important if there were a lot of units in the net and a lot of > small packets to move about. As long as you don't need sustained > through put an 8 bitter can still benefit from the above.
Of course a cheap switch will accomplish the same thing, and is likely part of the infrastructure anyway (except in the smallest environments).
On 2004-07-28, Robert Wessel <robertwessel2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
In my experience the decision to go with a 10/100 interfaces is based purely on marketing. Even if the device only needs to do a couple packets per second, the marketing people will refuse to sign off on a 10baseT-only device. There was a reason for this way back when: the very first dumb, dual-speed Ethernet hubs that came out required all ports to run at the same speed. If you plugged in a single 10M-only device, all ports were forced to 10M. I don't think that's been a valid concern for a long time, but you still can't sell marketing types on a 10M only interface. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Could I have a drug at overdose? visi.com
Jim Stewart wrote:

> Josh Fitzgerald wrote: > >> I am seeking recommendations for 10/100 Ethernet controller chips for >> the embedded environment. The microcontroller I will be using is the >> PIC18F8720, an 8-bit chip. > > You suppose that PIC will be able > to handle data at anything close to > wirespeed at 100 megabit/sec?
the biggest problem for reaching such a rate is the CRC computing of the TCP-package, which needs a lot of computing time. I doubt, any available microcontroller can reach more than 2 Mbit/sec. If need very high data rate you'd programm a dsp to implement TCP Michaek -- Remove the sport from my address to obtain email www.enertex.de - Innovative Systeml&#4294967295;sungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik