Learning the 8051

Started by tone8051 January 16, 2009
Can anyone recommend a book on the 8051 with a good explaination of
interfacing to one, especially with regards to memory mapped I/O and how
the timing works? I don't have much of a background in using
microcontrollers (this is a hobby right now).

http://www.intel.com/design/mcs51/docs_mcs51.htm

http://www.8052.com has a lot of good info to help you get started. -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
www.8052.com has lots of information.... you will have to search around this web site. www.8052.com has some very good forums where you can post questions.... (warning not all people who reply to the forums are experts.... ) Joe
In message <s132n413ifumkabnknu3earmpi6kojp2as@4ax.com>, Spehro Pefhany
<speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> writes
>On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:05:18 -0600, "tone8051" <john.lammons@att.net> >wrote: > >>Can anyone recommend a book on the 8051 with a good explaination of >>interfacing to one, especially with regards to memory mapped I/O and how >>the timing works? I don't have much of a background in using >>microcontrollers (this is a hobby right now). >> > >http://www.intel.com/design/mcs51/docs_mcs51.htm
Probably not as most of the 600 odd variants of the 8051 family (none of which are made by Intel anymore ) have extensions to the basic mode and in any event tend top be based on the 8052 For books see http://www.phaedsys.com/information/bookreviews/index.html for other 8051 stuff see http://www.phaedsys.demon.co.uk/chris/index.htm and hit the 8051 button at the top -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:05:48 +0000, the renowned Chris H
<chris@phaedsys.org> wrote:

>In message <s132n413ifumkabnknu3earmpi6kojp2as@4ax.com>, Spehro Pefhany ><speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> writes >>On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:05:18 -0600, "tone8051" <john.lammons@att.net> >>wrote: >> >>>Can anyone recommend a book on the 8051 with a good explaination of >>>interfacing to one, especially with regards to memory mapped I/O and how >>>the timing works? I don't have much of a background in using >>>microcontrollers (this is a hobby right now). >>> >> >>http://www.intel.com/design/mcs51/docs_mcs51.htm > >Probably not as most of the 600 odd variants of the 8051 family (none of >which are made by Intel anymore ) have extensions to the basic mode and >in any event tend top be based on the 8052
Actually, the 8052 is identical to the 8051 aside from memory sizes. Most of the derivative part data sheets are complete only in presenting the delta from the original. Books on microcontrollers tend to be quite unreliable-- aimed at beginners, yet filled with errors and omissions. Without a sound understanding of the original, one will be forever operating at a disadvantage. The MSC-51 Family Reference Manual is still pretty much an indispensable reference-- particularly the architectural overview and programmer's guide sections. Similarly, some of the classic application notes. What has usually changed is the peripherals and the electrical characteristics. And, often, the timing of the instructions. Not much, if any, change to the instructions since the move to CMOS. Trying to master the 8051 without the original Intel documents is like trying to master C programming without bothering to acquire a copy of K&R. And all the worse if you try to do it from thick error-filled books that were churned out in a few weeks each.
>For books see > >http://www.phaedsys.com/information/bookreviews/index.html > > >for other 8051 stuff see >http://www.phaedsys.demon.co.uk/chris/index.htm >and hit the 8051 button at the top
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
Hi John,

Welcome to the fabulous hobby of 805x microcontroller engineering. You'll
find it a sometimes tricky, but tremendously rewarding and great value for
money hobby.

Once you've oriented yourself a little, then please visit my 805x website.
You'll find an ever expanding gallery of projects and lots of free
microcontroller software to download.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~vanluynm/

It's good to have you aboard, John.

Regards,
Tressie

On Jan 17, 11:05=A0am, "tone8051" <john.lamm...@att.net> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a book on the 8051 with a good explaination of > interfacing to one, especially with regards to memory mapped I/O and how > the timing works? I don't have much of a background in using > microcontrollers (this is a hobby right now).
The common 8051 background docs are also here : 8051 Microcontroller Instruction Set (50 pages, revision C, updated 07/06) http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc0509.pdf 8051 Microcontrollers Hardware Manual (113 pages, revision E, updated 01/07) http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc4316.pdf You will also need the specific device DataSheet, of course ! If you need a second-opinion datasheet, the ones here are well presented, and not simple paste copies of the same master... http://www.coreriver.co.kr/product-lines/top_corerivermcu.html Which 8051 are you using ? If you are new, choosing one with On-Chip DEBUG is a very good idea - www.SiLabs.com have some good ToolStick models Their datasheets are also quite complete. -jg

Memfault Beyond the Launch