8- to 16-bit Embedded System Upgrade

Started by karlbkeller July 22, 2004
Hi! We're on a new project with the golden opportunity to upgrade a
system from an 8-bit 8051 to a 16-bit MPU TBD.

The application is pretty straightforward bit fiddling, with a clock
interrupt and (USB?) link to a Windows PC. It's a basic interruptible
single-tasking app, so it doesn't need a real time kernel. We want to
move from assembler to C/C++ source, so compiler/library and debug
tools will be important. The low-volume instrument product needs
availability and high reliability, not rock-bottom parts cost.

Any pointers to your favorite MPU and/or tools? (Or boos for the one
you love to hate?)

It's been a while since I made this architectural decision, and I
don't want to miss a good choice or be a specsmanship victim!

I'd value your suggestions.
karlbkeller@yahoo.com (karlbkeller) wrote in

> Hi! We're on a new project with the golden opportunity to upgrade a > system from an 8-bit 8051 to a 16-bit MPU TBD. > > The application is pretty straightforward bit fiddling, with a clock > interrupt and (USB?) link to a Windows PC. It's a basic interruptible > single-tasking app, so it doesn't need a real time kernel. We want to > move from assembler to C/C++ source, so compiler/library and debug > tools will be important. The low-volume instrument product needs > availability and high reliability, not rock-bottom parts cost.
Funny, I never wrote more than few lines of 8051 assembler. All my 8051 projects were in C.
> Any pointers to your favorite MPU and/or tools? (Or boos for the one > you love to hate?)
I love the MSP430 from TI. Go JTAG debug! For USB, I thought the Cypress 8051s were nice though. -- - Mark -> --
Hi Karl

Check out the MSP430 from Texas. Haven't used it myself yet but I am
going to since this series looks very promising. You can even obtain
them with a HW multiplier in there if things become math-heavy. Prices
are in the 8051 ballpark but you get 16 bits.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
karlbkeller wrote:
> Hi! We're on a new project with the golden opportunity to upgrade a > system from an 8-bit 8051 to a 16-bit MPU TBD. > > The application is pretty straightforward bit fiddling, with a clock > interrupt and (USB?) link to a Windows PC. It's a basic interruptible > single-tasking app, so it doesn't need a real time kernel. We want to > move from assembler to C/C++ source, so compiler/library and debug > tools will be important. The low-volume instrument product needs > availability and high reliability, not rock-bottom parts cost. > > Any pointers to your favorite MPU and/or tools? (Or boos for the one > you love to hate?) > > It's been a while since I made this architectural decision, and I > don't want to miss a good choice or be a specsmanship victim! > > I'd value your suggestions.
I'd look at the top end 8051's first (there is a LOT of life in this yet!), and then look at the 32 bit ARM Microcontrollers, and skip 16 bits/Sole sourced cores entirely. For an example of what is currently at the top-end in 80C51, see http://www.silabs.com/products/pdf/F064_FINAL.PDF http://www.silabs.com/products/microcontroller/C8051F064EK.asp This $25 PCB includes a on-Chip DEBUG with USB Link, and USB data link, so is an impressive development platform. SiLabs single cycle 80C51s come in 25/50/100MHz/(60MHz soon) and for examples of ARM uC, see http://www.philipssemiconductors.com/markets/mms/products/microcontrollers/key_solutions/32bit/index.html as well as AnalogDevice, Atmel (FLASH soon), STm, Motorola, TI, OxfordSemi ... if you need really FAST USB, look at http://www.cypress.com/aboutus/press_release.cfm?objectid=B02B0D86-03E0-4485-945E4304605236AE (this also has a 80C51 core...) besides Cypress, others that have USB+80C51 in one chip, are TI, SiLabs, STm. -jg -jg
If you go with the MSP430, do get the IAR compiler for it. It is the
best microcontroller development environment i've ever come across.
And it's very stable too.

Mike

Mike V. wrote:

> If you go with the MSP430, do get the IAR compiler for it. It is the > best microcontroller development environment i've ever come across. > And it's very stable too. >
Though MSPGCC works well, and is a bit cheaper. Paul Burke
karlbkeller wrote:

> > Any pointers to your favorite MPU and/or tools? (Or boos for the one > you love to hate?) >
If it doesn't have an external bus, the Phillips XAG49 would be a more-or-less drop-in replacement. For some reason best known to themselves, they didn't keep it compatible if you expand it- thus deliberately ignoring whole chunks of potential market. Raisonance do a good compiler. Or as other people have said, MSP430 is a good processor within its limitations- you'll have to rejig the whole caboodle for 3.3V supply. The mix of peripherals varies from very good to excellent. Paul Burke
karlbkeller wrote:
> Hi! We're on a new project with the golden opportunity to upgrade a > system from an 8-bit 8051 to a 16-bit MPU TBD. > > The application is pretty straightforward bit fiddling, with a clock > interrupt and (USB?) link to a Windows PC. It's a basic interruptible > single-tasking app, so it doesn't need a real time kernel. We want to > move from assembler to C/C++ source, so compiler/library and debug > tools will be important. The low-volume instrument product needs > availability and high reliability, not rock-bottom parts cost. > > Any pointers to your favorite MPU and/or tools? (Or boos for the one > you love to hate?) > > It's been a while since I made this architectural decision, and I > don't want to miss a good choice or be a specsmanship victim! > > I'd value your suggestions.
Depends on so many variables like cost, power, tools, etc., but I'd consider an ARM7 based chip. There are many choices from many chip vendors with all kinds of peripheral options and plenty of tools. -- Scott ExoTech R&D, Inc.
Hi Mike,

>If you go with the MSP430, do get the IAR compiler for it. It is the >best microcontroller development environment i've ever come across. >And it's very stable too. > >
As far as I know the compiler that comes with TI's eval kits is the IAR compiler. However, I believe that version is capped at 4k for C or something around that, so if things become larger it would be necessary to buy the full version. Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com

>>If you go with the MSP430, do get the IAR compiler for it. It is the >>best microcontroller development environment i've ever come across. >>And it's very stable too. >> >> > As far as I know the compiler that comes with TI's eval kits is the IAR > compiler. However, I believe that version is capped at 4k for C or > something around that, so if things become larger it would be necessary > to buy the full version.
Correct, 4kB is the limit. At the time we used it we need 8kB so it cost us $800, when we later moved to the unlimited version we were credited the $800 towards the unlimited license. I just wish they'd use FlexLM instead of dongles. -- - Mark -> --

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference